X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Did Chad try the softboot/RCs combo yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Hey Dave ,
    After spending yesterday on the RC soft boot combo, I can honestly say I like the Blunts and their stability better on the groomers than the RCS. With the RCs I feel like I need to think about my centering balance, where the blunts I could just ride care free. Keep in mind this is with no new snow. I'd like to try both when we get some new snow and I imagine I'd like the RCs better for their float. Whichever I use I LOVE the soft boot setup. It seems like my legs never tire with soft boots. Today I'm begrudgingly going to try the Blunts with hard boots. I'm guessing they will be great on hard boots also carving groomers. For me they are fun boards the first I will now pull out for groomers. Sorry 125s!

Chaf

Leave a comment:

• Madmax
    replied
    @CANtoo

I have noticed what you are saying with RVL8 Bantam 75. I think it’s because you have less surface area on the sides of the board in which to bleed off speed when carving. So you cannot slow down as well on shorter boards.

For me the RVL8 Bantam 75 where unstable as speed increased as well as having this reduced braking effect.

I bet the RVL8 Blunt will also suffer on high speed runs. Has anyone taken them out on a high speed run? Even if they are stable can you control your speed with Only 88’s?

On the chart they only get a 5 for All Mountain, probably because of speed issues?

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/BRDS.html

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Did Chad try the softboot/RCs combo yet?

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by CANtoo View Post
    So this is the review for those of us were not gifted with amazing athleticism or balance (i.e. our park riders and Courtney), and who were never former skaters or hockey players or expert skiers or anything else that translates well to skiboarding (i.e. Valmorel, Jack, Chad, Bill, etc.) This is for those of us who probably would not even be on the mountain if it weren't for skiboards.
    That's me too!

Leave a comment:

• CANtoo
    replied
    So this is the review for those of us were not gifted with amazing athleticism or balance (i.e. our park riders and Courtney), and who were never former skaters or hockey players or expert skiers or anything else that translates well to skiboarding (i.e. Valmorel, Jack, Chad, Bill, etc.) This is for those of us who probably would not even be on the mountain if it weren't for skiboards.

The blunts are wonderfully light and easy to scoot around on at the lifts. Getting off the lift, though, I felt like my feet were stuck flat and couldn't angle off the snow to a carve. This could be because I was on non-release bindings and didn't have the height needed to get on edge, but all the way down the hill I had to work way too hard to get them on edge. I tried angling my knees toward the hill and throwing my legs out, which worked, but then there was the speed. Sorry to mislead you Sempai, but when I told Chad they were too fast, I meant they FELT too fast. They seemed to speed up when I didn't intend them to. These things, for me, were little speed demons and I felt like they could get away from me. But I know that in reality they are no faster than my ALPs, because when I was taping Chad while he was ripping I kept up with him easily. I gave it three runs and had to get them off.

So yes, they are surprisingly stable at speeds, but wide boards are just not for me. As soon as I got back on my ALPs, I was a happy camper, carving, working on my hand drags (touched the ground on one side--it wasn't pretty like Chad's, but I did it!), and even taking a box successfully. My confidence to go anywhere was back. I may get back on the KTP's tomorrow, but no matter what board I try, the flexy ALPs are always my favorite.

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by CAN View Post
    Trail side review. I'm writing this while Cindy goes to the car. She felt the blunts were a little wide and fast for her. She's going back to her ALPs. I'll let her post more later.
    Blunts faster than ALPs, really?

Yay! Me loves fast!

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Trail side review. I'm writing this while Cindy goes to the car. She felt the blunts were a little wide and fast for her. She's going back to her ALPs.ill let her post more later. I can't say I'm to disappointed though as I get them more. I'm using the RCs with the soft boot set up. My first run I went over backwards. With all the rear rocker I sat too far back and sat down. First wipeout out of the way. The blunts seem more stable right now at higher speeds on groomers , but I'm not giving up on the RCS yet. More reviews later.
    Chad
    LOL . . . no tail support on a board 20% bigger. What's THAT about :-)

Go Nexus

Leave a comment:

• CAN
    replied
    Trail side review. I'm writing this while Cindy goes to the car. She felt the blunts were a little wide and fast for her. She's going back to her ALPs.ill let her post more later. I can't say I'm to disappointed though as I get them more. I'm using the RCs with the soft boot set up. My first run I went over backwards. With all the rear rocker I sat too far back and sat down. First wipeout out of the way. The blunts seem more stable right now at higher speeds on groomers , but I'm not giving up on the RCS yet. More reviews later.
    Chad

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    [ATTACH]3282[/ATTACH]
    Thanks Jack. They are Flow Rival Focus. I told the guy at the shop I needed stiff boots and he came out with these. They seem flexy until the inner cables and the two outer boas are tightened. Then they are very stiff. At first I was worried the bindings wouldn't work with the boas, but the straps went right around them like they were made for each other. The difference of my former flexy boots and these took me from
    "yeah I could probably get used to this" to "wow, this is what it should feel like. This is awesome!" I found it was 3.5 out of 5 on stiffness on the box. so they may not even be as stiff as yours, but they work for me. I

Chad
    Thanks Chad for the info, This is good news.. your boots on a 10 point stiffness scale would be ranked 7/10 ,. mine are 9/10 , this means folks don't need an uber stiff expensive snowboard boot , just moderately stiff should be ok .... what you and I have found , though is that really soft snowboard boots say flex 3/10 or 1.5/5 , are probably not that good for skiboarding in soft boot bindings.

ps . I have the most boas of any boot having a triple boa one either side and one on the front . and they also still work just fine with the new SBOL modified Technine binding which is great ..

Leave a comment:

• CAN
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    In the interests of balanced reporting you have to try the Blunts with hard shells too Chad :-)

Thats going to be a tough sell. Although they will be ready with non releases tomorrow. Cindy is going to ride them today. I guess I'll suck it up and do it for the good of research

Chad

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    In the interests of balanced reporting you have to try the Blunts with hard shells too Chad :-)

Leave a comment:

• CAN
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385476596.455512.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	244938
    Thanks Jack. They are Flow Rival Focus. I told the guy at the shop I needed stiff boots and he came out with these. They seem flexy until the inner cables and the two outer boas are tightened. Then they are very stiff. At first I was worried the bindings wouldn't work with the boas, but the straps went right around them like they were made for each other. The difference of my former flexy boots and these took me from
    "yeah I could probably get used to this" to "wow, this is what it should feel like. This is awesome!" I found it was 3.5 out of 5 on stiffness on the box. so they may not even be as stiff as yours, but they work for me. I offered to let the shop guy take them out as he thought they were cool. He will try them but with releasables as he said he is a skier and would feel more comfortable on those.
    Jack I also think you are right. I've gotten more positive compliments from snowboarders skiers. This setup is getting noticed on the hill. Get ready for more sales Greco.

Chad

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Hey Chad , great video! really nice carving ... .... I love it , another softie convert ! ps. I think I actually prefer the new Sbol Technine set up to Rocker binding that I was using before. Let us all know how you get along on the RC with the soft boot set up ! ps . What brand and model snowboard boot are you using now ?

Leave a comment:

• CAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Chad, you would have great balance & form riding on a pair of 2x4's ;-)

Is Cindy tempted?
    Thanks Bill. I'd try them out too as long as you guys made them rideable with all your tinkering with a soft boot setup. Now. Since Dave says, I'm such a softie , I think I'll have to break down today and change our bindings out. I'll try the soft boots with the RCs and let Cindy try the Blunts with hard boots. What a giver. Man I'm liking the soft set up too much. And all we have open is two green runs, haven't even explored the mountain yet. I'll try to get cindy on film as she doesn't like being taped, but said a short clip would be OK.

Chad

Chad

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    I feel like I should write more but a picture is worth a thousand words right?
    Chad, you would have great balance & form riding on a pair of 2x4's ;-)

Is Cindy tempted?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X