No announcement yet.

Blunt Speaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a little video of Gromit riding them. It was surprising how low the tips looked. You sure can see the stretched running length

Go Nexus
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
      I took a little video of Gromit riding them. It was surprising how low the tips looked. You sure can see the stretched running length

Go Nexus
      Are you going to post the video?
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

No,quality was poor. Going to try again next time.

Go Nexus
        Go Android

Comment

Surface Area of Blunts

I used Physics Man's spreadsheet to calculate the surface area of the Blunts which comes in at 1,279 square cm.

I am not sure how accurate that is for skiboards since it was designed for use for ski calculations. The sheet is locked so I can't see the formulas - not that I would like be able to figure out if it is representative for skiboards being challenged for any type of more advanced math. I have checked the spreadsheet calculations against the published surface areas for boards on skiboardreviews.com and from what I recall the values were always close.

Not sure if the engineering/technical types on the forum have any calculations they use for the surface area estimate or not.

By way of comparison here are surface areas for some other boards:

Revolt = 1,278 cm2 (very interesting; Blunt has same area but is 17 cm shorter!)
          KTP = 1,364 cm2
          DLP = 1,338 cm2
          RC = 1,610 cm2

If I compare them to the Spruce 120s that I have an really enjoy - the 120s have a surface area of 1,384cm2. The Blunts only have 7.6% less surface area in a package that is 32cm shorter!

Just for fun if you plug in a few other possible lengths for a board like this:

at 99cm: 1,432 cm2 surface area
          at 105cm: 1,519 cm2

Some serious surface area for a very small footprint
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
            I used Physics Man's spreadsheet to calculate the surface area of the Blunts which comes in at 1,279 square cm.

By way of comparison here are surface areas for some other boards:

Revolt = 1,278 cm2 (very interesting; Blunt has same area but is 17 cm shorter!)
            KTP = 1,364 cm2
            DLP = 1,338 cm2
            RC = 1,610 cm2
            Thanks Bluewing for the surface area calculations . The other important thing is that surface area is not everything , the wider the skiboards the better they perform in powder and the better float they have compared to skiboards that are skinnier but longer and the same surface area. The physics is explained in this post I put up a few years ago and has been born out in my own experience with different skiboards. The other important thing to understand is that the shorter the board the more radical the rider can change the "wing" attitude of the skiboard by subtle variations in weight distribution . So by subtle variations in heel pressure on a short board you will have more dramatic changes in float at the nose of the board in soft and variable snow . For all these reasons , I predict that the ultra wide and ultra short Blunt will be a revolutionary skiboard . It will be ultramanuverable yet will be able to float and perform in powder and variable snow like a much longer skiboard. There is another big design feature , the Blunt has rockered tips and is not ultra stiff. My own experience with stiff vs softer tipped skiboards in deep snow and variable snow .. Is that softer tips allows you to be a little less precise in getting your weight distribution just right in variable snow and less prone to diving and submarining the tips and going head over heels if the snow consistency changes when riding from the center mount position on a short skiboard. This is another great design feature of the Blunt and I think it would be less effective in soft and variable snow if it was designed as a traditional non rockered cambered , ultra stiff shorty. The other thing I really like about the Blunt design is that the rocker is very subtle and not extreme. This will allow traditional weighting of the rear tails of the boards which I think is very important in variable snow in a board this short . The Rockered Condor which is much more heavily rockered demands a more centered style and less of the traditional heel pressure techinique many of us are used to using in traditional skiboards. You don't really need to weight the heels with the RC because it provides more then adequate float just riding dead center, But in a less floaty board like the Blunt and a shorter board more prone to going over the tips I really like the ability to default to riding the tails of the board in off piste variable snow ... and from what Valmorel tells me the tails are very supportative to putting the weight back there. Eager to get my pair and try it out off piste.
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
              Thanks Bluewing for the surface area calculations . The other important thing is that surface area is not everything , the wider the skiboards the better they perform in powder and the better float they have compared to skiboards that are skinnier but longer and the same surface area...
              Jack - thanks for posting this and the link to the previous discussion on surface area as it relates to skiboards. I remember reading that a while ago but it was nice reading through it again. Really good stuff. I dredged that thread back to the top to see if anyone has any new thoughts to add since 2009.

I am really looking forward to everyone's reports about the Blunts once they are out on the mountains in all kinds of conditions.
              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

This post is mostly directed toward Valmorel and Grommit because they're the only ones I know of who have experience on the Blunts so far, but others who have more experience than me feel free to chime in. My friend Aaron wants to get into snow sports this year. I told him about skiboarding and he is interested. I showed him the site and he asked me what skiboards would be good for him to get, but I'm not really sure what to tell him. Originally I was going to say Condors or KTPs, because once we get on the mountain and he sees how aggressively I ride, he will probably want to do the same. I figured the Condors/KTPs might have a slightly tougher learning curve than average, but after all they are still skiboards and they really won't have any shortcomings when he gets better and really starts to push the boards.

However I realized the Blunts could be a good option too, maybe even the perfect option. Valmorel said earlier in this thread that the Blunts would be perfect for beginners, but he also loved the all around performance of the boards. The only reason I hesitate on this is because it's just very hard for me to believe that you can get so much performance out of such a small board (feel free to prove me wrong, I've never ridden them). I ride 2013 Condors. If Aaron will be able to carve just as hard as me, float as well as me, and be reasonably stable then I will recommend them to him. I'm just a little skeptical I guess you could say. He would prefer to have slightly more difficulty starting out on something like the Condors and be able to ride them forever than have an easy start on the Blunts but be stuck buying new boards when he reaches their limits. Thanks in advance for any responses, I'm eager to hear opinions on this.

P.S. Aaron is about 5'7" and weighs ~175 pounds. That's 1.7m and 80kg for Valmorel and Grommit haha

Comment

Ah ah. I am done with recommending boards. Nothing derails a thread or generates more rubbish than someone asking for board advice. I will say this though: I have a LOT of boards. For the upcoming season the Blunts will be my 'go to'

Go Nexus
                  Go Android

Comment

Lol I was wondering if anyone cared about posts like that. Its not a big deal I'm sure I can manage by myself. And your advice is noted.

Comment

Originally posted by mhealey View Post
                      This post is mostly directed toward Valmorel and Grommit because they're the only ones I know of who have experience on the Blunts so far, but others who have more experience than me feel free to chime in. My friend Aaron wants to get into snow sports this year. I told him about skiboarding and he is interested. I showed him the site and he asked me what skiboards would be good for him to get, but I'm not really sure what to tell him. Originally I was going to say Condors or KTPs, because once we get on the mountain and he sees how aggressively I ride, he will probably want to do the same. I figured the Condors/KTPs might have a slightly tougher learning curve than average, but after all they are still skiboards and they really won't have any shortcomings when he gets better and really starts to push the boards.

However I realized the Blunts could be a good option too, maybe even the perfect option. Valmorel said earlier in this thread that the Blunts would be perfect for beginners, but he also loved the all around performance of the boards. The only reason I hesitate on this is because it's just very hard for me to believe that you can get so much performance out of such a small board (feel free to prove me wrong, I've never ridden them). I ride 2013 Condors. If Aaron will be able to carve just as hard as me, float as well as me, and be reasonably stable then I will recommend them to him. I'm just a little skeptical I guess you could say. He would prefer to have slightly more difficulty starting out on something like the Condors and be able to ride them forever than have an easy start on the Blunts but be stuck buying new boards when he reaches their limits. Thanks in advance for any responses, I'm eager to hear opinions on this.

P.S. Aaron is about 5'7" and weighs ~175 pounds. That's 1.7m and 80kg for Valmorel and Grommit haha
                      You have Condors so your friend can use those. The demo program is a good way to sample boards at a relatively low cost - way cheaper than buying something, not liking it and having to sell it at a steep discount: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/sbol_demo_program.html. If he is not a good friend, have him buy some boards you want and hope he doesn't like them so you can help him out by taking them off his hands on the cheap!
                      Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Who will get out on Blunts early in the season?

Who from more alpine climates - Tahoe, Colorado, Mammoth, Whistler, etc - will be getting Blunts and getting out early in the season on them? I am hoping numerous people who are lucky enough to live places where skiing starts in late Oct or early Nov are going to be rocking Blunts so we can build on the information that valmorel and gromit have been providing.
                        Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Who from more alpine climates - Tahoe, Colorado, Mammoth, Whistler, etc - will be getting Blunts and getting out early in the season on them? I am hoping numerous people who are lucky enough to live places where skiing starts in late Oct or early Nov are going to be rocking Blunts so we can build on the information that valmorel and gromit have been providing.
                          Unfortunately , those who have ordered production boards like myself won't get them until early december, I think Rickylink is scheduled to be a prototype tester as soon as Mammoth opens which should be late Oct and early november . I think we will all look forward to his review.
                          Boards :
                          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                          Boots
                          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                          Bindings:
                          Zero Pro Non release Binding
                          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

The Blunts are really causing a dilemma for me. I spent most of last year on the 89 Jades, then bought a pair of Slapdashes from Greco after he let me demo them. I've really been looking forward to learning how to ride those Slapdashes in all conditions, including the park. I also picked up a pair of RCs for those deep powder days we get in AZ. That was going to be my two ski quiver for the season. The MNP Lines I have are also tough to beat for quick edge changes on the groomers.

Now the Blunts come out. For a short board fan like me they should be perfect in most conditions. Although the same length as the Jades, the rocker on the Blunts should make them more mobile, forgiving, faster, smoother, tighter, more versatile and give more float in the powder. I know we haven't finished testing yet, but they may not be as ideal in the park and deep powder. Who knows ?

I much as I want to order a pair, I think I need to ski what I have and consider the Blunts later in the season. I'm sure there will be a pair at the PowDown to try. The problem with coming out with great new products is that they make your old stuff redundant; by old, I mean new last year!
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Who from more alpine climates.....
                              I take it you do not consider the lush valleys of SE Pennsylvania, in the shadow of the grand Pocono mountains, an "Alpine Climate"?
                              Boards:
                              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I had a request from a bored forum member to post a PIC of the Blunts with a Riser fitted So here you go. Really cool. Gutsy and business like looking. Normally Risers can look a little overwhelming on short boards but they look great on the Blunts. Probably even better with the production graphic . . . . .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
                                Go Android

Comment

Working...
                                X