Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt Speaking

50 Yards

50 yards. 50 short sharp yards and I knew I was going to love these boards. Two hours later I had a huge smile on my face and my ski buddies had not been able to pry them away from me.
    But let's not get too far ahead. First, a bit about the board. Hard to describe just how much presence this board has, so here are pics.

First, the boards themselves. These are protos without the 2014 killer graphic.

Really modern proportions. No mistaking this for a kid's ski!

Next, beside an Edge and an SB10. The edge has dimensions much like 99 Snowblades of yesteryear and the SB 10s were considered a wide bodied board at the time. How far we have come!

Finally, the big brother RCs. No doubting the family resemblance, but does the genetic heritage continue on the snow?

If you still need some perspective, here it is with a boot mounted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Portability

After the gradual drift to longer boards of late it has been a joy for me to get back to our roots and enjoy the wonderful portability and light weight that attracted me to skiboards in the first place. You can easily carry these boards by the heel bales without the tips bashing the ground

Perfect too if you need to use public transport. You can tuck these things under your arm! And of course, they should be way safer with a fixie binding than the longer boards.

Pretty much going to fit in any skiboard bag too. Small European car? Just chuck em in the boot (trunk lol).

Go Android

Comment

The Essence of Skiboarding

OK enough description, how do they ride? Quintessentially, the most fun board I have ever been on. Just couldn't get enough.
      There is so much to talk about here. The RCs showed the way and the Blunts, like the 125s, are just more proof. ROCKER WORKS!
      These little boards are both incredibly lively but stable at the same time. It took about 10 mins for me to dial myself in. At first I was overskiing them. Way too much input. You just dial it all back and the boards do it for you. Effortless.
      I was really impressed by the stability. This was unexpected. They are medium in stiffness, so even though they are short, the tails give great support.
      They have a real big board feel.

Go Android

Comment

Turning

You can carve, pivot, Stem, whatever. Just make it up as you go along. So easy. They ride soft edge like the RCs, so there is no grabbing of the edges, just smooth progression into whatever kind of turn you want.
        It is easy to over pivot as there is so little swing weight, but once you figure it out it is effortless, almost subliminal. You just kind of think it and it happens.
        Carving is a bit like the RCs, soft edge for a split second as the board comes up on edge, then as the edge progressively engages, an increasing feeling of security. Once fully up on edge the boards just continue like on rails with a nice neutral feel. No hooking at all. If you can angulate correctly it just gets better. There is more stability in the carve than the RCs, probably because the board is stiffer.
        Because turning requires so little input, I predict this is going to be the absolute board of choice with softboot riders. They could have been made for each other.
        I was riding with stiff hardshell boots, Receptor bindings, and boot canting set to give max pressure on the inside edges. Same as always for me.

Go Android

Comment

Flow

With a board this short I was concerned they might be difficult in softer chopped up snow, the kind you find on the edge of the piste, but I could not have been more wrong. They just flowed through the stuff like a much longer board. I found they worked best in this stuff with my weight slightly on my heels. Not the quad burning weight right back kind of thing, just gently on my heels rather than toes. They were simply faster this way.
          Pretty much the whole time I was on them I could hear the inner edges tapping together. I thought at first that I have never found it so easy to ski my boards so close together, but then it occurred to me that even with the boards touching each other my feet were still way apart lol.
          Can't wait to get these little guys in the bumps.
          Skating is simple of course. No bashing the tails, and of course, not much weight.

Go Android

Comment

Impression

Sometimes though I can be guilty of over analysing. Whilst snow sports are technical, we actually do it for the fun. And Blunts are Fun with a capital 'F'.
            They manage to capture the very essence of skiboarding. Riding these reminds me that skiboarding truly is a sport in its own right. These little beauties are going to make you both look and feel good.
            Interestingly, after two hours full on, I did not feel tired. Normally I would, and would be looking for a coffee break. Sure, the excitement and joy of these little guys was sustaining in itself but I really didn't feel any fatigue at all.
            Do they feel like a full on Freeride All Mountain board? You better believe it!
            Do they feel ideal for a beginner? In a heartbeat.
            Do I have a new 'go to'? Abso frickin lutely!

Go Android

Comment

Construction

I was a bit unsure about this section as I only have protos but the production boards are unchanged so I can at least give it a shot.
              I see some differences here. Most obvious, the sidewalls are angled OTB. That's a new thing for SBOL. Normally I have to do this myself.

It is hard to photograph but here you go. It looks much nicer but also has a practical application, it helps resist topsheet chipping.

The topsheet seems smoother too with less print thru than previously.

Base grind is excellent, edge base angle around 1.5 deg on my pair.

The tips are quite low compared to conventional designs so there is no wasted running length

I really like low tips. On short boards I don't want a chunk of the running length wasted.

Inserts on my pair are spot on, not just close, spot on.

The edge steel too is interesting. It is full wrap of course but has a joint only on one tip. It is all one piece. Nice little detail that suggests someone took the time.

Stiffness is medium. In the hand it promises much and on the snow feels perfect. Nice support and suspension and no harshness. Please don't change it! Ever!

Bases soak up wax at first so hot waxing them each time you use them for the first few times will pay dividends in the long run.

They worked well with Zardoz Notwax but it didn't stay on for more than an hour.

Torsional stiffness is also really good. Makes my RCs feel really soggy by comparison.

Go Android

Comment

Wrap Up

If you are thinking I am impressed you just might be right! To me at least, a big thing with skiboarding is the small compact package and just how much I can get from it. Blunts take this to a whole new level.
                Real back to roots stuff. Skiboarding distilled to perfection.
                I don't think there is a single factor, it's just a perfect storm of design elements coming together to produce something very special.
                There will be days when I prefer to be on my 120s or RCs, of course there will, but not so many now.
                To all of you here, beg, buy, borrow, or steal a pair of these great little boards and rediscover skiboardings' heart.

Go Android

Comment

AHH!! I'm getting light headed thinking about these babies!! I absolutely cannot wait, they look amazing!!

Comment

valmorel - thanks for such a detailed review. Nice job. These boards sound amazing. I like the way they look. Interesting how designs build on each other and how progress in equipment is such a progression.
                    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Pre-ordered!

Never thought I would go this short - all of my interests have been going longer than my 120s that I love, but after reading this review and seeing the photos I decided this is the season of the shortie for me! Really like the simple black and white graphics on this board too.
                      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                        .....You can easily carry these boards by the heel bales without the tips bashing the ground ....
                        Valmorel, since we have never ridden together and out of curiosity, how big are you? Height and weight if the question is not to personal. I carry my 120s by the heals of the bindings and don't drag the tips, my Revolts are more than a foot clear of the ground.

I ask not in the context of portability but in reference to how the Blunts would perform under a bigger rider. I am 6'5" 200lbs and have always felt more comfortable on my 120s and up than my smaller boards. As different riders try these it would be great to know their physical size for reference. The Blunts look exciting but I fear they may be below the lower limit of what it rideable for us big skiboarders.
                        Boards:
                        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Great review of the new Blunts, Valmorel ! Many thanks ! According to the skiboard specification chart the Blunts really have only a little bit of rocker compared to the Rockered condors with a 4mm rise over 10 cm as opposed to a 10mm rise over 17cm of the RC. The degree of rocker on the Blunts is in fact quite similar to the Sherpa which has 5mm rise over 11cm. I think this is a great use of rocker in this short board, just a little bit to avoid catching the tips and not to get in the way of maximizing the running length . The lower tips also really help , like you say to get all the running length out of the board . Width hugely helps in variable snow as does the little bit of rocker compared to the narrower sub 100cm shorties. The fact that the board is stiffer then the RC and has way less rocker, really helps in weighting the tails which is important in variable snow and in pow in a board this short... This is really a great design to get the maximum performance out of a very short length . A very well thought out design for sure ! Maybe the first real sub 90cm all mountain design !
                          The running length of the Blunt is actually longer then the Rockered Condor 60cm vs 51cm . Can you post a picture side by side of the tips of the RC vs the tips of the Blunt from the side so we can see the degree of Rocker on both boards ?
                          I really like the zero camber , very modest rocker , low tips and moderate stiffness in the new Blunts , I think it is a great design and really the perfect complement to it's big brother the RC , and probably a design that I may prefer to the RC in firmer snow . I agree that the new designs of the RC and the Blunt are just made for riders using modified snowboard bindings and snowboard soft boots. The key are boards that act very similar to snowboards with a smooth transition from pivot and sliding to carving which is what a zero camber not too stiff , super wide bodied rocker tip skiboard does to the nth degree. !
                          Boards :
                          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                          Boots
                          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                          Bindings:
                          Zero Pro Non release Binding
                          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I love this picture Valmorel :

If we chop off the floppy raised rockered tips of the Rockered Condors that are out of play anyway in firm snow , you have the BLUNTs!!!
                            (ps. I am so happy that Greco chopped off the tips of the RC himself for you , so you wouldn't have to try that experiment yourself on your beautiful RC's ! )
                            The BLUNTS will likely be the perfect resort board, firmer snow compliment board for RC fans !
                            Boards :
                            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                            Boots
                            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                            Bindings:
                            Zero Pro Non release Binding
                            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                              Portability

After the gradual drift to longer boards of late it has been a joy for me to get back to our roots and enjoy the wonderful portability and light weight that attracted me to skiboards in the first place. You can easily carry these boards by the heel bales without the tips bashing the ground

Perfect too if you need to use public transport. You can tuck these things under your arm! And of course, they should be way safer with a fixie binding than the longer boards.

Pretty much going to fit in any skiboard bag too. Small European car? Just chuck em in the boot (trunk lol).

Great review!!!!

I love those Red shoes and watch band.... They match your red Receptors perfectly !! NICE!
                              rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                              ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Working...
                              X