Customized LE Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting Topsheets

I came across this interesting set of blog posts on one guy's project to paint the topsheets of his wife's skis. Interesting read with good details and supporting photos. He did an elaborate design using a graphics application and contact materials to mark out the design.

http://thezarseeffect.wordpress.com/...stmas-project/

Navigation to other parts of the blog entries in upper right corner or use nav at top of each page with forward and back arrows.

Researching paints it seems a marine epoxy paint is the way to go to get a good adhesion on fiberglass. These paints can be expensive, but Rustoleum Topside paints are low cost and have good reviews (at least on Amazon). http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct....d=4&sid=207005.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Use of Automotive Pinstriping and Decals

Not sure how well something like this would hold up but another possibility for customizing the look of boards with plain topsheet would be to use automotive pinstriping and decals products - high quality ones made out of vinyl.

This is just one site selling these products but it will give you an idea of what is out there:

Decals and stickers: http://www.vinylgraphics.net/product...-and-Stickers/

Pinstriping - some of these are cool because you can buy kits with 2 sets of stipes in different colors and widths with a huge selection of colors: http://www.vinylgraphics.net/product...le-Pinstripes/
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        It is worth just bearing in mind that some of the adhesive used loses its effectiveness at low temperatures. Some of these products will work better than others so some long term feedback would be good.
        I overlaid a pair of RC's last season (2011/12) with a 3M automotive sheet vinyl product from a local sign shop. It's held up fine for two seasons now, the cold doesn't seem to bother it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          I overlaid a pair of RC's last season (2011/12) with a 3M automotive sheet vinyl product from a local sign shop. It's held up fine for two seasons now, the cold doesn't seem to bother it.
          I'm interested in seeing them. Have a pic you could post?
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
            I'm interested in seeing them. Have a pic you could post?
            Here they are:

Comment

Here they are:

Thanks! They look very nice. Why plain white though, no interest in a design?
              Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Here they are:

Those are CLEAN! Very nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  Thanks! They look very nice. Why plain white though, no interest in a design?
                  Plain white is the latest thing in cutting edge euro-chic fashion. Or not. Courtney phrased it perfect, I kind of like the "clean" look.

Comment

Bill.

Can you briefly describe the process for us? Mainly, is it made to fit, or applied then trimmed to size once in place. The edges loo so clean, very nice.
                    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Reminds me of the BWPs

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                        Bill.

Can you briefly describe the process for us? Mainly, is it made to fit, or applied then trimmed to size once in place. The edges loo so clean, very nice.
                        I used 100 grit sand paper to trim the edges. The vinyl is very thin and trims neatly that way.
                        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                          I used 100 grit sand paper to trim the edges. The vinyl is very thin and trims neatly that way.
                          Thanks, I wouldn't have though of doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                            I found this site that specializes in vinyl automotive wraps of various sorts that can be used on the exterior or interiors. Seems like a lot of these products would work as topsheet covers for skiboards.

http://www.metrorestyling.com

I don't know anything really about these materials but they do carry recognizable brands like 3M and Avery.

The 3M DI-NOC branded vinyls are from their architectural finish line and seem to be very high quality

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-...nyl-s/4083.htm

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-...in-s/19978.htm

There is also an extensive selection of 3M automotive vinyls at http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Sco...80-s/16764.htm. I think the brushed metal series has some cool options that would look awesome on a board: http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Sco...ap-s/17010.htm.

I would think that the architectural series and especially the automotive wraps might hold up well for use in topsheets considering their intended uses as designed.

Prices seem reasonable. For example, for the 3M 1080 brushed metal vinyl a 5 ft x 1 ft sheet goes for $19.99.
                            Ok, so I just tried my hand at vinyling over a pair of 2010 Condors. I bought this vinyl through metrorestyling.com. I never thought about the original graphic showing through. I think it doesn't look too bad. It kind of gives a shadowing effect.

Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                            Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by sempai;140734[IMG
                              http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q482/skiboarder65/Blunts%20and%20Condors/customcondors001_zps32213e1a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
                              Very nice. I like the blue decal and blue Lines against the yellow background.

Did you have trouble with it bubbling going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                                Did you have trouble with it bubbling going on?
                                Not really.
                                Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                                Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Working...
                                X