Experience buying RVL8 KTP's vs Summit Nomads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience buying RVL8 KTP's vs Summit Nomads

I know many of y'all already know what a great experience it is buying from Greco, I have been fortunate enough to experience it myself now as I purchased a set of KTP's yesterday. I had an e-mail from Greco within 15 mins thanking me for my purchase and asking me for some info like height/weight/age etc that didn't get transmitted (dumb paypal). He answered every e-mail I sent him lickety split!!! And I even had an E-mail from Jeff @ Spruce the next day with an explanation about a DIN setting with a bad knee. Just awesome, I am excited.

I have also dealt with Summit, Doc answered my questions and the boys on the phone also did but it just felt different. I felt more coerced into a given board/product vs. dealing with the folks here. The time it took to get a response on E-mail was also much greater. It on average took 3-4 days for a response from Doc vs. 30-45 mins for Greco.

I can honestly say I will be doing all of my future shopping and purchases of skiboards right here at RVL8!!!

John
    Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 07:01 PM.

Originally posted by JohnBham View Post

I can honestly say I will be doing all of my future shopping and purchases of skiboards right here at RVL8!!!

John
    Excellent decision!
    Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 07:01 PM.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      Excellent decision!
      My biggest regret was not coming here first. I'll be honest I was a little intimidated by all the choices (doesn't take much to intimidate me). Frankly it was overwhelming. What would have saved sooo much pain was a chart that had the characteristics such as this board is good for this type or rider, this one is better for power, or groomers this one is good for beginners. I know there is the chart on height/weight/powder/release/non-release unfortunately my height and my weight don't match up. LOL. So not only did it make me a little overwhelmed it also lowered my self esteem all in the same moment.

Comment

............. So not only did it make me a little overwhelmed it also lowered my self esteem all in the same moment.
        Sorry!

What you will find with skiboards is it is a journey. One season you will have a favourite, the next it will be another as your skill progresses and you adopt a style. And in the future, you will rediscover a set you used previously. That in part is why recommendations vary so much.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Ohh it's not a problem slow...I let go of my inner skerdy cat and embraced this forum and all it had to offer. I just had to give it time. This is my first time in my 31 yrs of life buying my own set of snow sliding equipment. When you're as new as me and living in a place that today was 60 some odd degrees and you say ski and someone thinks water....just a lot to take in and absorb. In a month I'll be sure to let everyone know how awesome it was. Knowing me I'll become so hooked I'll have to move in time for next seasons so I can be closer to the mountains and snow......Colorado here I come....maybe??? How they like a bit of southern accent.

Comment

I got nomads back in '08 they were great for a few seasons but they got really soft for some reason.
            Revel8 ALPdors
            Gold Revel8 Receptors
            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
            ____
            Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
            If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

So I was reading a few more of the threads on here and saw the ones regarding Nomads and the base "bumps". I went and checked out mine....MFWTF!!!! I have them on BOTH boards where the screws go down into the bases on the tail end. These things are going back TODAY for a full refund!! I'm happy that I caught this before I had used them!!! GRRRRRRRRRR.

I LOVE YOU RVL8!!! No problems with my KTP's, nothing nadda!!!
              Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

So I was reading a few more of the threads on here and saw the ones regarding Nomads and the base "bumps". I went and checked out mine....MFWTF!!!! I have them on BOTH boards where the screws go down into the bases on the tail end.
                John, are you referencing concave depressions underneath the inserts (as another recent poster found) or are the screws from direct-mounted bindings too long and making the "bumps"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  John, are you referencing concave depressions underneath the inserts (as another recent poster found) or are the screws from direct-mounted bindings too long and making the "bumps"?
                  Yes, the bumps appear to be from the screws length pushing outwards. I saw the previous thread about the concave impressions and there was an older thread I found that seemed to indicated a bump from the screw causing compression of the core with the direct mounted binding. It's obviously a defect. They were on BOTH boards, with the exact same screw area causing the problem, so I know it's not just some random accident. Grrrrrrrrrrr...irritating. Ohh well the boards are at FedEx and I'll get my refund. Just irritating to have to go thru this hassle.

Comment

Yes, the bumps appear to be from the screws length pushing outwards. I saw the previous thread about the concave impressions and there was an older thread I found that seemed to indicated a bump from the screw causing compression of the core with the direct mounted binding. It's obviously a defect.
                    John, It's probably not a defect in the skiboard per se, but more likely a careless binding installation. They either used screws that were too long, or didn't drill properly sized pilot holes. Summit uses an aluminum retention plate which in theory should allow the use of shorter screws than those supplied with the binding kit which are intended for conventional skis, but it's still one more reason why inserts & riser-mounted bindings are a better idea. A case could be made that all skiboards supplied without inserts are defective.

Regardless, when you pay new price for something it ought to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      John, It's probably not a defect in the skiboard per se, but more likely a careless binding installation. They either used screws that were too long, or didn't drill properly sized pilot holes. Summit uses an aluminum retention plate which in theory should allow the use of shorter screws than those supplied with the binding kit which are intended for conventional skis, but it's still one more reason why inserts & riser-mounted bindings are a better idea. A case could be made that all skiboards supplied without inserts are defective.

Regardless, when you pay new price for something it ought to be right.
                      Bill, you are correct it is not a "defect" it is an error from the binding installation. That was a poor word choice on my part, thank you for the correction. I'm honestly not sure what they did, the boards other than that were very pretty nice and stout, they seemed to be made very well except for the bindings placement. I would have had them replace them with a set without bindings but after reading the other issues others have had with the boards I just don't feel like dealing with it. When I bought them I didn't go on this forum that much and really just took what was written on skiboards.com as gospel (risers=bad/dangerous, direct mount=good/prefered by binding manufacturers) Which was entirely my fault and I should have known better. I love the riser idea, the spruce risers are fantastic, I had only wished I could have seen more views of the riser before I had bought the Summit boards. Had I seen what they looked like sitting on the board I would have bought them first. I have since then taken photos of them and posted them for others so they can see what it's like. I am a little sad that the Summits didn't work out. I think having multiple manufactures all with high quality gear competing against one another can only help the sport.

Comment

I would have to say that over the last few years I have bought and sold several boards and seen many with little marks on the bases that seem to outline where the inserts are. I have never had any issues or had that effect performance. It seems to me that I have only seen these on boards with black bases.

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                          I would have to say that over the last few years I have bought and sold several boards and seen many with little marks on the bases that seem to outline where the inserts are. I have never had any issues or had that effect performance. It seems to me that I have only seen these on boards with black bases.
                          These were quite a bit more than little outlines unfortunately, the base was actually raised enough that it would stop a plastic scraper. I tried pulling it over the base to see how bad it actually was, kept on catching......grr. I have been told that you can get markings like that if you hot wax your bases with bindings still screwed in but these board hadn't been hot waxed.

I did not notice this problem with my KTP's. Out of curiosity did you have actual raised up marks or just circle type marks after a while where the screws were??

Comment

Just marks where the screws were, nothing raised up.

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                              Just marks where the screws were, nothing raised up.
                              I could have lived with flat against the board marks but the raised up part is what got me. I was a little concerned that if I ever went over a rock or a stick or got the guts to try the park I might catch it and sheer it off ripping out a nice big chunk of my base.

Comment

Working...
                              X