Thick Boot Liners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick Boot Liners

Level9 ran out of my size in the Head i-type 10 (flex 70) boots so I went for the i-type 8's (flex 60). So far I've only worn them around the house doing a snow dance (clothed). They are nice boots but the upper buckle doesn't loosen up enough for me. I have a plate and screws in my leg and can't stand much pressure on it. I need a longer buckle wire bail. I love the shells, but the liners are too thick and I can't stand the pain long enough to pack them in.

I think the liners are thermo-molding so I may be able to heat them up in the oven a bit, put them on and clamp them down for as long and hard as I can stand to force them to pack in. Or, maybe I could do that with a piece of PVC pipe so I can use more heat and pressure to pack in the liner. I'm not sure what kind of temps to use, my guess would be 115° if using my leg and 160° on a pvc pipe.
    If I use a pipe, it would be much easier to just heat the pipe and clamp it in.

I think I've seen a buckle extension somewhere in the past. But, I've slept since then.

I have found these.

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/4832/pro...n_Single_.aspx

Odd that I haven't yet found anyone that sells them in the USA.

Comment

On the Head I-10's there's a feature on the "multi-hook" half of the top buckle that allows generous adjustment in or out. Take a look at your boots and see if there's a small lever on one end of the hook part. If so, just lift it up and adjust the buckle accordingly. Maybe the I-type 8's don't have this adjustment, I don't know?

Edit: Going by this picture: http://www.levelninesports.com/popup...=14295&image=1 , your boots appear to have this feature.

Comment

Yes, it does have an adjustment there to reposition that side of the buckle about an inch, and the other side has a micro adjustment where you spin the wire bail. Both of them are on their largest setting.

I looked at the rivets that hold both sides on and a bootfitter may be able to reposition and rivet one of them in a new location. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

How much more length do you need? I wouldn't mutilate your boots, there has to be a better way. It wouldn't be that hard to fabricate something similar to the buckle extender in the picture above if it came to that.

Jack, of course, would fire up his chain saw ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            ..........Jack, of course, would fire up his chain saw ;-)

LOL and ROF!

I have purchased items from the UK and the shipping and custom fees were not as excessive as I had assumed. So do not hesitate to check out the buckle extension. It may be affordable.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I have bought some antique books off fleabay from UK without any problems.

Comment

I think I'm past the worst of it. I've been wearing my new i-type 8's a little at a time and they have quit hurting when buckled. I'm stoked.

I started out fastening just the top strap and foot buckle. After about an hours worth of wearing them I was able to close the top buckle and not have it hurt.

I suspect they will keep getting better as they get used. Walking around in them is no bid deal, very easy to walk in. There are a lot of traction features on the soles and some of them tend to snag carpeting a bit, so I have to deliberately lift my feet. But, that's no big deal because these i-types are a lot lighter than my old Kneisl Rails.

Comment

Working...
                X