In Praise of the ALP/DLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of the ALP/DLP

Its no secret that I have spent this last year experimenting with boots. In order to do this I have been using the green model Condor exclusively, as a wide carving board represents maximum load on the boots. I have learned to love this board. Its playful personality, big stable platform, and easy carving/sliding nature. I have been using a Spruce Riser Release system as this is a lot of real estate, but last week I added a new feature to my highly modified semi-release fixed binding. For those unfamiliar, this is a fixed binding designed to release when a twisting load is applied, and I added spring tension rather than just relying on the tension generated by the 'give' in the bales. This provides easy clip-in and consistent release.
    To test it, I mounted it on my ALPs, as that is the board I intend to use them with. So off to Xscape to test it.
    WOW! The sheer joy of getting back on the ALPs. I had forgotten just what a massive carving machine this board is. Incredible precision with pin sharp handling. This board is a no compromise thoroughbred through and through. Set this board in a carve, weight forward a little and the carve opens up, weight the heels, and the carve tightens in. Its subtle. Its almost subliminal. The edge grip goes on forever. Its almost mind control. And its why I live for skiboarding.
    This board is the all mountain dream machine for the consumate carver, and just the best teaching board for someone aspiring to be so. I have ridden the ALPs everywhere from the cruising blues of Valmorel to the Grand Couloir in Courchevel and always loved it. Huge days in Verbier exploring everything from the extensive off piste to the Mont Fort bumps.
    This is my Compact 120. The board I choose when I want to ride fire.
    In fear that they might go out of production, I just this minute ordered a spare

But here is something interesting: in terms of required riding style, this board and the Rockered Condor are about as far apart as its possible to get. Watch this forum as Jjue and I try to explain what is happening at this crossroad in skiboard design.........
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    But here is something interesting: in terms of required riding style, this board and the Rockered Condor are about as far apart as its possible to get. Watch this forum as Jjue and I try to explain what is happening at this crossroad in skiboard design.........
    Really, you think so? I watch the video I posted where I'm on the RC's, and then I watch vids I have where I'm on ALPs and the 120s. To me my style looks the exact same. Maybe I change up my style without even knowing it.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      Really, you think so? I watch the video I posted where I'm on the RC's, and then I watch vids I have where I'm on ALPs and the 120s. To me my style looks the exact same. Maybe I change up my style without even knowing it.
      Sure Sempai, you can ride both these boards, and indeed any others, using the same style. But that is not playing to their strengths. What we plan to do is try to highlight how these two approaches to design can be maximised by using different styles. Otherwise, we get to the 'right or wrong' question, and that would be selling short maybe?
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Hi Dave,

What a coincidence. Last night we went to our local hill, Mountain High for new years, and we knew it was going to be icy so I decided to take the ALP's to try out.This was my first ride other than Condors (RC or REGULAR camber ) in a year. I made sure they had a sharp edge. It had gotten into the high 50's yesterday and then got close to freezing so it became very packed and icy. They held the edge pretty well. I did play around with the slarving method and I agree with Sempai that it works , but it's not that fun. I feel like a bad snowboarder scraping the hill. I also found that by altering my stance to ride lower like the younger guys in a gorilla stance REALLY improved my feeling of stability on the ice at higher speeds. I may try the RC again and adopt this technique. This way I can test if the riding style trumps the board choice , Gorilla for ice and upright for new snow. Now I kind of wished I would have brought the RC's last night for a same night comparison. Looking forward to seeing Jack and Daves' thoughts. Were headed for Brian Head tomorrow for a few days which is the best place we've found so far for trying multiple boards as you can literally park 50 yards from the lifts.
        64 CM Bigfoot’s
        100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
        110 CM Rockered Condors
        130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          ...WOW! The sheer joy of getting back on the ALPs. I had forgotten just what a massive carving machine this board is. Incredible precision with pin sharp handling. This board is a no compromise thoroughbred through and through. Set this board in a carve, weight forward a little and the carve opens up, weight the heels, and the carve tightens in. Its subtle. Its almost subliminal. The edge grip goes on forever. Its almost mind control. And its why I live for skiboarding.
          This board is the all mountain dream machine for the consumate carver, and just the best teaching board for someone aspiring to be so...
          This is my Compact 120. The board I choose when I want to ride fire.
          In fear that they might go out of production, I just this minute ordered a spare

Amen, brother! True believer here--that's why I call them my "happy place" boards. Over 6 seasons of learning I kept needing more board, from Snowblades to Head 94s to MJs to Revolts to ALPs, and then, I stopped! The 120s are a nice ride, but getting back on the ALPs is like being at home to me.

I like your comparison idea. The perfect board for each rider is so different, depending on size, age, skill, riding style, and mood! Even after all that, conditions are another factor (I remember that year at Shredfest when it was snowing like crazy; Jack took one look at my MJ's and said, "Uh, you might need a little more." I got to try his 120s, and wasted no time getting a pair for the quiver!)

That's the joy of skiboarding and this company--with constantly evolving riding styles and techniques, the binding setup, and every board being such great quality, the possibilities are endless! As Chad mentioned, this week we'll take a page from rgzip's idea and do a day of board switching--I might even try the hubby's KTPs and regular Condors!
          '07 "soft" ALPs
          Eyeball DLPs
          125 LEs
          Ospreys mounted bindings
          Crossbows
          Spruce riser release bindings
          Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

Originally posted by CAN View Post
            Hi Dave,

I did play around with the slarving method and I agree with Sempai that it works , but it's not that fun. I feel like a bad snowboarder scraping the hill.
            I agree that the slarving method is not that much fun on any board other then the Rockered Condor ... on that board it is magic .... .by the way because of this horrible snow year in the Sierras , I have been riding nothing other then icy steep groomers for a month ... and I would not want anything other then the Rockered Condor ... I have throughly enjoyed the riding ... I have of course all the other boards.. they , have not come out of storage.. ... Valmorel is right , it is important to understand in depth the design of the boards and play to the strengths ... one board is not better then the other, one is not right or wrong .. the Rockered Condor and the ALP/Dlp - Spruce 120 are all great boards... if you play to their strengths they will be magic ...BUT it takes understanding how they work and practice to make them sing .... if we narrow our thinking and think of one of these as an ice board and one as a pow board .. we will be missing the opportunity of taking these boards right out to their limits.... I strongly feel that the amazing thing is that Revel8 and Spruce have not had a bad design yet ... they are all great boards.. .we just need to understand how to make them work to their strengths...
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
            X