Cold Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Wax

I've used Zardoz before but SBOL is out of stock on that. I'd like to hear some opinions on the other cold waxes for sale heare at SBOL.
    MaxxWaxx
    Snowjam FastWax
    Purl Racing Powder

ShortyDude,

FWIW, I'm not a fan of rub on stuff. Spring is a different story but even then the wax just doesn't last long. A few hours. A hot wax is the only way I know to get all day consistency. Smooth, waxed bases are predictable bases. Bases that react as you expect them to react. I tell people that I do not wax for speed. Hell, I initiate turns to control speed. Why do I need more of that? But, consistent behavior and smooth, near effortless transfer of my input to the snow is something that matters big time.

If you use rub on wax, check the bases every hour or so. If you see bleach lines, reapply immediately.

I also do not recommend going down the temperature specific wax road. This is self-defeating. I've seen people absolutely ruin their day with temperature specific waxes and that was after spending and unnecessary amount of time on them the night before placing a base layer and then the temp specific layer on. I think racers do it because they are on snow for a comparatively short time. When you are out all day, the temperature changes by definition. "All temperature" waxes are the only way to go for this guy. You have your favorite brands and I have mine. In the end it's all personal preference. Whatever works for you and whatever you have confidence in is what you should use.

But, don't let waxing take over your life. My routine is to check my edges, freshen them up if needed based on the conditions I believe will exist the next time I'm out, drip on some wax, iron in, scrape off while warm (but not wet), brush and scrubby pad the stuff down and get back to life. All done in about 20 minutes.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

I run a couple of NASTAR races each year and like to use these rub on waxs while waiting my turn to go.

Comment

ShortyDude,

Yea, it sounds like every micro-second counts in a situation like that. Well, broken record time. I'm a Hertel wax guy and they have some stuff I think is called liquid gold. About a million dollars an ounce but give it a look. It might be what you are looking for.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Working...
        X