Rear Entry Ski Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Entry Ski Boots

There's been a couple threads lately talking about rear entry boots. I remember them being like the only type of boots back when I first started skiing. My first pair of boots were Nordica RE's, and then later I had a pair of Raichle RE's. At what point and why did boots switch over to what they are now?
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

I started skiing in the mid 70's and I've never had a pair of RE's. But, I did go for a new pair of Head I-Type 8 They call it a 60 flex RE with unique WALK feature that allows the sole to flex. They look outstanding for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      There's been a couple threads lately talking about rear entry boots. I remember them being like the only type of boots back when I first started skiing. My first pair of boots were Nordica RE's, and then later I had a pair of Raichle RE's. At what point and why did boots switch over to what they are now?
      Who knows why this travesty took place. Opinions vary from 'RE boots are rubbish' (plainly false), 'patent issues' with Salomon holding the worthwhile design patents, and even 'too costly to produce'.
      Whatever, the switch began in the eighties and seemed to be driven by racers. As ever, the buying public wanted to look like racers. From there on, the RE boots days were numbered.
      Many hire shops in Europe still feature them though, as they are easy to adjust, fit a wide variety of foot shapes due to the wide range in the adjusters, and are very easy to live with.
      Most of the folks who tell you they are rubbish are either folks who have never used them, or who had poorly fitting or cheap basic models back in the day.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
        I started skiing in the mid 70's and I've never had a pair of RE's. But, I did go for a new pair of Head I-Type 8 They call it a 60 flex RE with unique WALK feature that allows the sole to flex. They look outstanding for the money.
        Those do look cool.
        Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          Who knows why this travesty took place. Opinions vary from 'RE boots are rubbish' (plainly false), 'patent issues' with Salomon holding the worthwhile design patents, and even 'too costly to produce'.
          Whatever, the switch began in the eighties and seemed to be driven by racers. As ever, the buying public wanted to look like racers. From there on, the RE boots days were numbered.
          Many hire shops in Europe still feature them though, as they are easy to adjust, fit a wide variety of foot shapes due to the wide range in the adjusters, and are very easy to live with.
          Most of the folks who tell you they are rubbish are either folks who have never used them, or who had poorly fitting or cheap basic models back in the day.
          Very interesting!
          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
            Those do look cool.
            IMHO sadly, the Head i-Type boots are nowhere near such a universal fit as the old style, rear-entry boots. They don't have the internal plate and cable across the instep that pulls your foot back and down into the heel cup.

If your foot happens to be the same shape as the Head i-Type last then you are in luck as then they'll be really good boots for you.
            Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
            Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
            Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
              If hiring shops keep on using them, surely then they must be available from somewhere.
              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
              X