Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$$ Boards -vs- Time on the Snow

Hey all,

New to the forum and to ski boarding. Tried out ski boarding last winter and had a freak'n blast. Now, as this winter rolls in, I really want to buy a pair of ski boards, but, before I do, I have a couple questions that you all might be able help me with...

I live in Kansas City, MO, so I don't get a lot of skiing in during the winter. Just 1 or 2 trips to Colorado and a few trips to the local ski bluff / hill, Snow Creek, throughout the winter. I used a rental pair of Salmon's last winter and had a blast, but from what I have read from you all, once I really get the hang of things and start boarding hard, those things will get destroyed and basically become a waste of money.

So my question is, should I buck up for an expensive pair of boards (I really like the M7's!!) or go after a less expensive pair?? Is the quality that much better that I would notice and get more enjoyment out of them during my limited snow time?? I appreciate and advise you have....Thanks!!
    Wes

"My goal is to live forever...so far, so good!!"

id say its totally worth it to get a pair of boards that are made better because they will definalty last you alot longer and im sure you will want to start hitting the park eventually with them. if i were you i would go with a pair thats made better and has a full tail, wood core, 4 hole inserts, and metal bindings. it will be worth it in the end. its better to get boards that will last you serveral seasons then to get some cheaper ones and have to replace them right away.

Comment

get snowjam

1.affordable

2.good boards
      Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

i agree snojams
        mine are in good shape after repeated beatings, with sticks, fallen trees (accidental), grinds and whatnot
        only reason i got new BGs was i had some extra money and wanted to get longer 99cm
        skiboard4life

Comment

cant go wrong with 90cm snojams

Comment

Follow your gut bro. M7s are the way to go. SnoJams are only 90s and you're eventually gonna want 99s (if not already). The M7 is your Rolls Royce of skiboards. Disappointment will not occur...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info!! Those SnowJams are looking like a great buy.

Will the extra lenght of the M7's give that much more speed, stability...etc?? While skiing, I spend most of my time fly'n through the trees and/or screaming down the runs attempting to carve hard enough to drag my hand. Haven't ventured into the parks yet, but I can't wait to try!! I love fly'n around at top speed though, so if the 99's really give you that much more speed over the 90's, I might have to buck up for the M7's.

Thanks again for the help everyone!!
              Wes

Comment

Wes,

From your description you ride like me....one click away from out of control and if that's the case you want 99cm M7 or BG's, they hold edge better than any thing when carving at high speeds. i hate it when the short boards chatter and make me stop my turn early.

-G

Comment

....one click away from out of control

Yes, definitely running one step away from losing control!! Last winter, I think I saw my life flash before my eyes a couple times as I entered into the trees going mach' 5 thinking "whoa--whoa this could get ugly..." Probably shouldn't have been skiing that fast my first time out on ski boards, but I was just having to much fun to stop/slow down!!

If the longer boards hold turns better and will send me down the mountain faster, then it sounds like 99's are what I need!! Thanks Greco!!
                  Wes

Comment

ya sounds like the m7's are what would be good for you

Comment

No matter what they try to tell you, length matters!- my thought for the day

Comment

Short boards do have their purposes though. I havea pair of Snowjam 90's and Groove AF1 75's, and sometimes I do break the 75's out for fun.....
                        Snow Jam 90TT

Comment

I have the SnowJam 90s, and they work great for me, but seeing as I am a lot shorter than most of you guys, I don't really have a problem with the 90s. And I don't ride as aggressive anymore with my knee still in rehab.

Comment

Working...
                          X