Board advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board advice

I need a little help and advice with what boards to get. Right not I have R8 KTPs. Great board and very fun when in the right conditions. Only issue I have with them is that they are too slow for me to keep up with my friends on skis and snowboards and they are horrible on icy slopes since I put the releasble bindings on. Didnt have much of an issue with ice with the non releasable bindings but since switching I am having a much harder time trying to control them, I am thinking it is because of the spacer and how high you are. I dont feel as if I have as much feel as to what they are doing.

I also own a NS SL snowboard but honestly dont have nearly as much fun (I suck on the board) then I do with skiboards.

So what I am needing advice on is what route to go next. I want something a little longer for added speed but dont want to lose the fun factor and the ability to do everything. So I am deciding between the Spruce 120s, Spruce Sherpa 130's or to move up to a twin tip.

The one thing with the 120 and 130 is that I hate how high the riser makes you. Is there a low profile riser available? I spend about 25% of my time in the parks and about 75% of the time all of the mountain. Any advice with the three options would be greatly appreciated.

-Smevans

Options:
    1. I figure you have your heart set on new boards right now but have you had the KTPs tuned recently? Wax and tuning can do wonders.

2. Depending on your size/weight you could go with ALP/DLP 110 with fixed bindings.

3. You could always make your own riser platform, or email this guy to find out what the height is on the one he is selling.
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=10244

4. Most people like the Spruce risers, so maybe just stick with them, and try different boards.
    I believe the Spruce 120s are on sale right now, and I think someone is selling them used as well.

5. If you really hate the riser system, you could get some Summits that are designed to have the bindings direct mounted to the boards. Summits are pretty good boards I guess, but the seller is sketchy.
    www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
    DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
    Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
    GGO soft boot bindings
    Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Hi Smevans

Have you read the comparison review of the Condors vs the KTPs? That might be helpful.
      Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
      Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
      Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post
        Options:
        1. I figure you have your heart set on new boards right now but have you had the KTPs tuned recently? Wax and tuning can do wonders.

2. Depending on your size/weight you could go with ALP/DLP 110 with fixed bindings.

3. You could always make your own riser platform, or email this guy to find out what the height is on the one he is selling.
        http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=10244

4. Most people like the Spruce risers, so maybe just stick with them, and try different boards.
        I believe the Spruce 120s are on sale right now, and I think someone is selling them used as well.

5. If you really hate the riser system, you could get some Summits that are designed to have the bindings direct mounted to the boards. Summits are pretty good boards I guess, but the seller is sketchy.
        Yes had the boards tuned last weekend. Any straight slope I just have no chance in keeping up with the longer ski, snowboards. Would like something to get me a bit more speed. Never considered making my own riser, will have to look into this...

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
          Hi Smevans

Have you read the comparison review of the Condors vs the KTPs? That might be helpful.
          Looks like it's saying the condors are a little faster? I need more then a little haha. I just don't see a board under 120cm cutting it. I will still have the ktps for when I'm going strictly park.

Comment

Condor or ALP will give you the speed you want I believe.
            They were much faster than KTP.
            2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

the 120s are a great board, i used to use them on my cruise days. but if you want to be closer to your board, go with the alp/dlp, as far as skis, if you really enjoy skiboarding, it will most likely be dificult for you to get into skiing, youll find yourself tripping over your edges because you cant turn the same, or just maneuver in general. speed-wise, ive never had a problem keeping up with anyone else on the hill, other than kirk thompson, but the 120s would more than likeley take care of your speed issues.
              facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Originally posted by Smevans View Post
                Looks like it's saying the condors are a little faster? I need more then a little haha. I just don't see a board under 120cm cutting it. I will still have the ktps for when I'm going strictly park.
                Get yourself a pair of 120s then. I haul @ss on mine. I pass most everyone on the slopes. How they feel using the Spruce riser system will differ greatly compared to how the KTPs feel with the system.

Have you ever seen this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fADnAEJIRU

120s are fast!
                Last edited by Greco; 12-23-2010, 07:43 PM.
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  Get yourself a pair of 120s then. I haul @ss on mine. I pass most everyone on the slopes. How they feel using the Spruce riser system will differ greatly compared to how the KTPs feel with the system.

Have you ever seen this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fADnAEJIRU

120s are fast!
                  Awesome video, that's what I wanna see haha

Comment

How are the 120s compared to the Sherpa 130s?

Comment

Yes had the boards tuned last weekend.
                      Your issues with icey conditions may be related to the tuning you had done I assume by a ski shop. Do you know what the edges were tuned to? If tuned as skis or snowboard, they probably deviated from the desired 0 degree base angle and 90 (or 89 for all mountain) degree side edge angle. This something worth checking so you do not have the same issue with a new skiboard.
                      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Smevans,
                        IMHO you should get the Sherpa !
                        I have ridden twintips , Sherpa , 120 , Condor , Alps , and KTP's ... I am 58 years old and ALWAYS chasing my 17 year old son who is an expert snowboarder who likes to go very fast in all conditions. I keep up with him in all conditions , without getting tired out , and still retain most of the fun of skiboarding when I am on the Sherpa ... the Sherpa is rock solid stable in variable conditions , holds an edge in ice like no tomorrow , floats in pow and hammers through variable terrain like a twin tip yet has the turning radius and the fun feel of a skiboard .. it is the only Skiboard IMHO that absolutely gives no ground to snowboards and skis . I do not notice the height of the Spruce riser /release system giving me any issues on the Sherpa , but I prefer the feel of non release skiboard bindings on the 110 and below and the KTP . IMHO the Sherpa is a huge ramp up in stability at max speed , peformance on ice ,and float in powder and variable terrain over the 120 . The 120 is a great board but more akin to the 110 Skiboards in performance . The Sherpa is in a league by itself , skiboard wise . It is defintely the most twin tip like of any of the skiboards ( in a good way ) But the Sherpa is much , much more fun for me to ride then regular twin tips because of how short it is compared to skis and because of the skiboard like turn radius . riding it poleless is much more fun then trying to ride twins without poles. My favorite skiboard is the Condor but I am most definitely slower on the Condor then on the Sherpa in anything other then hardpack groomers. when charging after my son on a snowboard . , my son knows that and kind of keeps asking me if I want to get out my Sherpa . I say no ... you need to slow down ,kid and let your dad enjoy his twice as many turns as you LOL !! I make him wait a bit for me ...
                        But no questions for me .. if you are in to matching snowboarders and skiers turn for turn in ANY TERRAIN all over the mountain ,there is only one answer SHERPA !
                        Boards :
                        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                        Boots
                        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                        Bindings:
                        Zero Pro Non release Binding
                        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

How are the 120s compared to the Sherpa 130s?
                          The Sherpa is a whole other beast. I say beast because next to the 120, it feels like a beast. That's my opinion. It might feel different to you, depending on your size. I'm not a big guy, around 5' 11" 180 lbs.

I've only been out on them a couple of times. They definitely can plow through and over anything. I don't remember there being a huge difference in speed, but maybe I just didn't get them cranked up. They still retain some of the skiboard feel, but aren't as easy to skate, and butter and all that.

JJUE has had much more experience with the Sherpas than I have. If he says choose Sherpa, you should choose Sherpa. He's a master. I'm just a padawan.
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                            Your issues with icey conditions may be related to the tuning you had done I assume by a ski shop. Do you know what the edges were tuned to? If tuned as skis or snowboard, they probably deviated from the desired 0 degree base angle and 90 (or 89 for all mountain) degree side edge angle. This something worth checking so you do not have the same issue with a new skiboard.
                            Not sure what they tuned them too, but that's a good point. They had never seen ski boards before so possibly did not know what to do. Took them to another shop today to have them check them out.

Comment

Ordered some Sherpas over the weekend to cure my need for speed. Now to go boot shopping tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                              X