"New" technology.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" technology.

So keeping in mind that skiboards hit the scene with sweet technology when they first came out, what have been the improvements in design and technology over the years? Have there been any real new ideas or designs as of late?

First the parabolic shape that skis used was improved upon with skiboards. We then had wider boards to improve surface area due to our short length. Skis then followed suit and today we find super wide powder and freeride skis out there.

Then the overall quality of the boards improved. I can't think of anyone who would scoff at the quality of RVL8 boards especially nowadays whereas ten years ago real quality boards were harder to come by.

Our bindings are essentially the same for non release just better. Releasables are now on riders- something snowboarders are doing as well now...

What's next?

I just bought a snowboard for my girlfriend, and its got "banana tech" so its a rocker design... something skiboards have essentially always been. Flat inside with ends coming up to get over pow and rough stuff. Not arched like skis.

The snowboard also had magne traction to help cut into ice and grab a better edge in rough conditions. That's the only" new" tech I can think of that hasn't been employed into skiboards. And we are always at the forefront of forward thinking design to make sliding better.

So my question to all of you is what's next? What would you all like to see in your skiboards? Is there already a technology out there that could work with our skiboards?

Please correct me if i am way off base with this post or if my.information isn't correct. Im just wondering. I think it would be cool if our collective experience and creativity could bring about ideas an innovation in this sport we love.

I'll start off: magne traction on skiboards. I think it could help hold an even better edge on icy conditions. All my snowboarder friends swear it makes a difference.

http://www.lib-tech.com/snow/tech/magne-traction/

There's a link if you are curious as to what it is.

plus a couple more

Oh, and let's add twin tips and center mount positioning to the list of things skiboards had long before skis did.

Comment

Hi Manlig , yes , interesting technology in snow sliding devices for sure !.. here are some previous threads about these technologies as they apply to skiboards

magna traction

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5383

rockered skiboards

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=7486

However, one of the most important things that is often forgotten in these discussions of snowboards and skis , is that the modern skiboard design itself .. the very short and super fat foot print is a huge new technology in and of itself and will never be duplicated in the longer skis or skiboards . There are signficant reasons that a very short and very wide two planked design is unique

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=7406

here is some discussion of center mount position in skiboards and twin tips
      http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5914
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by Manlig View Post
        I just bought a snowboard for my girlfriend, and its got "banana tech" so its a rocker design... something skiboards have essentially always been.
        skiboards have never been rockered.
        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Yeah, skiboards are cambered like skis. They just are shorter so there appears to be less.
          I do it because I can.
          I can because I want to.
          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
          '08 KTPs

Comment

How about a new urban design for bindings that allows for true soul grind and royale style grinding? hmmm...
            I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
              how about a new urban design for bindings that allows for true soul grind and royale style grinding? Hmmm...
              sky skaters!

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                sky skaters!
                I was referring to functional, practical, useful bindings...
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

I was referring to functional, practical, useful bindings...
                  burn!

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                    burn!
                    lolz

Comment

How about a new urban design for bindings that allows for true soul grind and royale style grinding? hmmm...
                      Jarrad and I were trying this but the idea never took off. I'm sure if you could get a group of people interested in it again though we could put our heads together and see what we can come up with

08 KTP's - FF-Pro's
                      Line Weapons - SnowJam X2
                      SnowJam 90TTs - SnowJam X2
                      Dalbello Aerro 67
                      Volcom Shatter Jacket (Spaids Light)

Comment

Don't forget the carbon beams we've got...

how about going for the same strength but losing weight? full carbon fiber boards?

the truth is that innovation typically takes Research and Design, which larger companies have the money and time for. We are a relatively smaller sport (still on the rise)... with the exception of some homegrown improvements (such as the touring bindings Jack and others have developed) I think as a sport we're going to be a half step behind the times with regards to adopting new tech for the foreseeable future... but that is ok :-) let everybody else work out the kinks through injuries and we can take the good without the bad, while keeping product prices where they are.
                        Dave | Elevendy

Comment

I would love to see some rockered skiboards, I think they would be ill to death on any terrain
                          Revel8 ALPdors
                          Gold Revel8 Receptors
                          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                          ____
                          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Just little things that I had in mind. Not really technology suggestions

1. brakes on non-release bindings.
                            so that we don't have to have leashes on.... annoying...
                            I dont know how. but it will be nice to have. =P
                            or lighter/smaller release bindings

2. softboot like snowboards boots

3. skiboard holder. something that can hold two plates together. so that they don't move around in a bag or in a trunk and make cracks and all.

but
                            I still enjoy skiboarding without any of those =)
                            2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

Originally posted by jsinger
                              Spruce is working on a new Skiboard system that combines the latest ski technology from Head which you can see here: http://www.head.com/ski/technology.p...tag=ski&id=139 with the technology from NeuroSky called the "MindSet" which you can see here: http://company.neurosky.com/bci-tech...ication-march/

This combination allows a skiboarder to make turns by simply thinking about them rather than having to manipulate their muscles. The MindSet sensor picks up the brain waves that say "turn" (this takes some training do do reliably) and transmits a signal to the skiboard controller that then twists the tip and tail of the ski using the Head intelligence piezoelectric fiber technology. The skiboard then begins to turn because the edge at the tip and tail of the board grips the snow surface more firmly than in the center of the board. When the turn is complete (or as far as the rider wants to go) they simply think "go straight" and the board flattens out.

This system has the potential for allowing people who have limited athletic ability and who would otherwise not be interested, to learn to skiboard very quickly and without any on-snow instruction.

We'll post here when we find out how well it works.

Man you crack me up. LOL...........
                              Crossbow (go to dream board)
                              Most everything else over time.
                              Go Android

Comment

Working...
                              X