Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero Touring Binding -Slow's Invention !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Touring Binding -Slow's Invention !

One of the really cool things about the SBOL forum is the fact that we have some really skilled guys here who can help with skiboard design and engineering problems . As I have written about previously.. Bill in Missouri , has been active designing touring binding parts for the Receptor Skiboard binding , thinking up cool ideas while driving his tractor around his farm and taking time out from Spring turkey hunting. Meanwhile Slow in Canada , has been spending bad weather days in his garage coming up with touring binding solutions for the Zero skiboard binding . Since these guys no longer have snow in their parts of the world , poor me gets the job of testing these inventions on the snow . Damn , don't I have a crappy job !

Anyways .. here is Slow's recent drop in touring binding aid for the Zero binding .. (ps . secret ... he is working on another really cool idea as we speak !)

I get in the mail a simple kit of plastic parts

step 1 , remove the retaining screw for the front lever of the zero binding

attach a plastic nut to the screw

reattach the screw holding the front lever to the front bale

step 2 , attach and crimp down plastic hose clamps on either side of the front lever to prevent motion of the lever side to side

step 3 loosen screw on plastic wings and attach them to the telemark binding cable near the heel

these just slide on and then push the metal piece over the cable and tighten down the scew and the wings are securely attached

the wings are beveled and the bevel should face toward the rear

ok that's it !!!!

as I have explained previously the zero front lever does double duty as a heel elevator in the touring binding application , the boot is turned around and the rear heel bale of the zero binding serves as the toe bale touring touring .

In the heel elevator down position .. the touring wings do not impede natural walking but act as a brake to prevent the boot heel from sliding to far to the sides in climbing traverses. or side hilling ..

There are two possible climbing positions .. and in each position there is enough of the touring wing down to keep the heel of the boot from sliding off the heel elevator .. you can see why slow put the plastic nut on the lever attachment screw ,it acts as a place for the heel of the boot to rest.

low position

high position

rear view of touring wings seated in high position

It is still possible to raise your heel and torque to the side and drop one of the wings on the wrong side of the bale

but this does not not happen too often if you are careful to not raise your heel too high on climbing traverses .. and if it does it is easy just to move your heel a bit and the wings fall naturally back into place , the way they are beveled really help that

ps .. if you do not need the full binding slot to adjust for your boot length .
    Slow has also invented a cool heel elevator receptor piece that fits in the binding slot and is screwed on from underneath just like a binding bale .

Wow !!!! amazing how simple and cool this solution is ... great job Slow !!!

eager to try it out on snow !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

It will be interesting to hear how they work out in the snow. Thanks for offering to test the parts Jack.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Extreme stress testing !

Today I tried to find the most difficult , icy ,steepest slope to climb ,
      technical difficult climbing ... on Slow's system ... here is the report as it happended ! sorry if the audio quality is poor . It was very windy and cold this morning on the summit ....

Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Email to Q just sent describing mission .......

"Hi Slow .. I will post a you tube vid of today's stress test ! the wings did not perform as intended, as you expected they were too hard to keep in place and not keep popping out and over the bale ... i did carefully use them as intended on a very steep icy slope with crampons in and some of the wings broke and were lost .. i think there is a tremendous amount of pressure on the metal fitting that keeps the wings on the cable and the pressure on the wing caused the door to open and the wings to fly off.... but actually no problem , because your 2nd invention saved the entire operation ! the plastic lever slot and the nubbin for the boot . keeps the boot heel in exactly the right position , just high enough , not too high , and not low and i can press my heel right up against the edge of the bale and that is enough to prevent overtorqueing the boot ... the little plastic lever slot attached to the bale slot is actually a stroke of genius ,t he only problem is that it limits the size of boot that can be used , it makes the whole assembly very easy to move from board to board .
        and is a near production simple solution for the zero .
        I kind of feel like James Bond going to hand to hand combat with the bad guys , and you are Q and have supplied me with two secret weapons .. the first fancy one did not work as intended and the bad guy was just about ready to kill me when the simple back up weapon you supplied worked brilliantly and mission was accomplished !!!! really fun technical climbing and I felt really very secure just having something to keep that heel elevator at just the right height !
        thanks !"

JJ
        Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

good stuff guys! so cool to have devoted and dedicated advocates and friends in ALL aspects of Skiboarding!
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Thanks Jack for taking the time and trouble to test the concept and the feedback on what works and more importantly, what does not.

The second concept is in the mail. Let me know when it arrives.
            sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Slow's Version 2

Here is Slow's version 2 of a drop in touring binding solution. for the zero binding .. I really like this and can't wait to test it out on snow .!...
              This is a combined effort of Slow and Bill , Slow designed the part and
              Bill manufactured the metal brushings for the telemark cables...
              Here is what I got in the mail ..

The plastic piece is designed to fit the Zero heel bale ..

And is attached with a metal plate and two screws .

Telemark cables are attached , and the boot sits perfectly in the plastic binding part, Slow's heel elevator part is attached in the rear to help with using the front lever as a heel elevator

Detail of how the the front of the boot sits inbetween the plastic binding walls which prevents side to side motion of the boot on climbing

Here is front view from the top with me locked in climbing mode

To go down the skiboard is flipped around and the heel is locked into the heel bale .. Slow's plastic binding part does not interfere with locking into and actually forms an exact form for the heel as well ..

As is the parts are designed to fit the boot geometry of Full tilt boots .. but Slow has a slick way of adjusting for different size boot toes ..perhaps I will let him explain as I didn't get around to playing with different boots.

Great design work Slow !!! Thanks for the nice metal brushings , Bill ..
              you guys made my day ... I keep getting cool presents in the mail from you guys !!!
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Jack,
                I wish I could be in Cali with you testing out a second set of parts I have. That will have to wait to Shredfest 3.

Some observations and comments on ski boots and how they fit up with the plastic pieces:
                • The FT boots are the more difficult to accommodate so that was the starting point for the design of the plastic pieces that mount on the bales. The plastic pieces needed to be notched to clear various areas of the FT boot.
                • The FT boots are designed so the rider's foot is closer to the bottom of the sole of the boot. Therefore the FT boots have less toe side wall surface to contact.
                • The FT boot toe section is also narrower in width than my other ski boots by over a 1/16 of an inch. This was the reason for the threaded rod to "adjust out" the clearance between the toe of the ski boot and the plastic pieces.

In this photo, the Saomon boot on the left has more toe side wall than the FT boot due to the difference in vertical location of the rider's foot relative to the sole. You can also get a sense for why more notching of the plastic pieces was required to get them to work with the FT boots.

BTW: Thanks for taking care of the bushings Bill. It would have been embarassing if Jack would have posted photos with my mockup made by stacking lock and flat washers. Maybe I will have to buy myself a hobby lathe for Fathers Day!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                  . Maybe I will have to buy myself a hobby lathe for Fathers Day!
                  Slow, you'll be needing a mill to go with that lathe ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Slow, you'll be needing a mill to go with that lathe ;-)
                    True, I do not need much convincing. Just need to find a benefit in it for Maria.
                    sigpic

Comment

True, I do not need much convincing. Just need to find a benefit in it for Maria.
                      One of my buddies in addition to being a great guy is an expert machinist, gunsmith, mechanic and a super talented fabricator. He has it all in his home shop...bridgeport mill (I bought his old mill drill when he snagged his bridgeport), several lathes, surface grinder, all flavors of welders, you get the picture. Once in a while I get to work with him on a project, and I look forward to that more than Christmas time because he knows so many tricks and is so good at explaining things, I always learn a ton in a very short time.

Once, shortly after one of these sessions when I was all fired up I called him at his house to ask a question about something. He wasn't home but I did talk to his wife. I gave her this long speech about what a terrific guy Mark is and how she must be awfully proud of him, being that talented, having all that great equipment and the envy of all his buddies, etc., etc. I'll never forget her response, something like: "yeah, okay, whatever, I'll tell him you called".

I guess this is my way of saying that I have no good advice in these areas.

Comment

Innovation.......great stuff.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Field Test

Slow's new drop in heel/front bale , plastic part/telemark cable connector was fabulous performed fantastic .. .

One real cool feature is because the telemark cable connectors are outside rather than inside the bale . the telemark cables can be rotated up behind the boot and held in place with the leash rather than removing the cables .. I really nice trick that saves time in transitions

Also like Bills wonderful machined touring binding part for the Receptor binding which worked great with Dcox20's Deeluxe Hardboot snowboard boots, Slow's binding part for the Zero also worked great with the Deeluxes
                          here is a pic

Great job and many thanks to both Bill and Slow ! Dave was climbing on Bill's touring modified Receptor and I on Slow's touring modified Zero both on Condors and having a whale of time both up and down ... !!
                          Boards :
                          Boots
                          Bindings:

Comment

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the test report and good to hear that it went well.

BTW: What the heck are you doing posting at 3:48 in the morning?
                            sigpic

Comment

BTW: What the heck are you doing posting at 3:48 in the morning?
                              LOL , actually 148am here , house full of rowdy teenagers up late , makes it difficult to sleep !
                              Boards :
                              Boots
                              Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                              X