Reverse Camber Skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Camber Skiboards

When Mervin Manufacturing started creating the reverse cambered banana snowboards, I didn't think that this design would eventually carry over into twin tip skis. With reverse camber (rocker) planks gaining popularity, what do you think the chances of this carrying over into skiboards are? I guess the real question is if Greco has been considering this at all. Something like Mervin's Magne Traction would be interesting to see on a skiboard as well.

recurve:
    http://lib-tech.com/nas/tech/recurve/

Magne Traction:
    http://lib-tech.com/nas/tech/magne-traction/

There has been a post like this before some time ago. As well as people asking if G would make different sized skiboards and new shapes and the answers have always been, that the market for skiboards are not huge. There are more skiers and snoboarders out there so ski companies have more money and a customer base to produce more of a range of skis/boards.

Now here is the thing that i have learned. We here at SBOL have a great choice of boards between the Spruce longboards and all the Revel8's there still is a huge selection. I have ridden the reverse camber pow skis. And well i wasn't impressed. The thing is that as a recreational skier and skiing only at resorts there really is no need to have these expensive planks. Here in the west we dont get enough pow over night to really need them. The other thing is that they are not an all mountain ski. The ones i had had a rocker tip and tail and a small camber under foot. The conditions were packed pow on piste and 18 to 24 in of pow in the trees. They did great in the trees but on piste they had no edge control.

This season i bought the Condors and well i was so suprised how well they do both on and off piste as well as in 3 feet of pow in the backcountry. The condors do it all and thanks to the soft flex they turn into a reverse camber board in the deep stuff but then on piste on ice and groomers they stick and hold an edge.

So IMHO there probably wont be a pow specific reverse camber skiboard but on the other hand grab a set of the Condors and you'll be just as satisfied if not more.

Hope this helps,
    Anthony
    10 Revel8 Condors
    08 Revel8 BWP w/ 08 Bomber's
    Line Five-0's w/ Snowjam Extreme II's
    Line Jedi's on the Skibike
    Line FF composite

Comment

Originally posted by kx125rider1313 View Post
      There has been a post like this before some time ago. As well as people asking if G would make different sized skiboards and new shapes and the answers have always been, that the market for skiboards are not huge. There are more skiers and snoboarders out there so ski companies have more money and a customer base to produce more of a

So IMHO there probably wont be a pow specific reverse camber skiboard but on the other hand grab a set of the Condors and you'll be just as satisfied if not more.

Hope this helps,
      Anthony
      Anthony,

I couldn't agree with you more. We have a great selection of boards to chose from. All the big boards are top notch powder boards. The smaller ones are great also if you are not a big rider or have young leg muscles and some technique. It always cracks me up at the Tahoe resorts to see some guy with a pair of huge reverse camber skis. I know they are just trying to make a statement 'how cool am I with these'.

Wendell
      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I am more interested in the kris knife edges on those skis. That's pretty cool.

Comment

I have to say that I disagree with you guys. I think a lot of people get stuck in the "I'm happy with what I have" mentality which prevents progression.

Even though the design would lend itself best to powder, It's not all about powder.

A lot of the riders here dedicate a ton of time at the park and doing ground tricks. A reverse cambered board would definitely help with doing things like tail presses and give that "buttery" feeling. I say this because I look at the difference between my cambered snowboard and my reverse cambered snowboard and see a large difference. I know that this is a very "niche" sport, but if this topic keeps coming up over and over again, maybe there is a reason. Reverse Camber just seems to make sense to me.

Comment

one of the issues to think about in reverse camber boards , is that on firm snow , you basically lose a lot of effective edge , the tips and the tails are not carving and the effective edge is only in the center of the board ... this is not that big of a deal on a long ski or snowboard but on a 110 or lower losing a lot of effective edge , would make the board less effective in firm snow edging ... not sure if that is important to you park guys , but it is something to think about
            I do think a zero camber (rather than reverse camber ) might make a great park board.
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
            X