SoCal Mtn Report Feb 6, 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal Mtn Report Feb 6, 2024

I'll start with NorCal at Kirkwood --closed early Sunday with road closed to Stockton -- 27 inches in 48 hrs - today, open frontside, backside closed - -Perfect frontside day
    Mtn High and Mt. Baldy down here both closed Monday --
    Baldy closed today but will be Epic tomorrow. Skiboarding to the Parking Lot
    Mtn High is open today and the 24 inches of new snow at both places is near unheard of down here -- 2-4 more feet expected by Friday.

check the Mtn. High webcams - - https://www.mthigh.com/site/mountain...-info/livecams

this storm sets the foundation for super conditions from Mt. Ashland down to Mt. Baldy -- for the whole month of February

now watch road conditions, and avalanches in bounds - be safe out there

anyone want to meet up and ride?

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

I'm glad someone is getting snow! Enjoy it!

The only closures around here were a week and a half ago, and that was due to extreme avalanche hazards with the ridiculously warm weather. I went up the following weekend and only did one run. It looked like some of the slopes had indeed moved (i.e. a large section of the entire snowpack moved a bit down the hill) and the melt-out around rocks was pretty noticeable even in the alpine. The lower mountain had a lot of good size ice patches - not icy, but actual skating rink style melt-and-freeze pools - and was barely keeping snow on most of the runs. This is the worst condition I've ever seen it in, including early season or closing day. Pretty scary for February, as it's typically a snow drought month but usually stays cold and keeps the snow in reasonable shape. I'm still holding out for March storm cycles, but even then I'll be lucky to get half of my usual days in this season. Haven't touched most of my favorite areas of the mountain at all this season due to closures or bad conditions that made it dangerous or not worth the effort.
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Tragedy last week at Mtn High - - -Snowboarder loses control and hits head on chairlift tower at high speed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...gh/ar-BB1ifsQ7

seems he was on his toe side and then lost control to his heel edge and then was sent flying backward head first into the tower. Very sad.

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

Working...
      X