2022 in the Canadian Rockies / Kootenays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 in the Canadian Rockies / Kootenays

Saw a pack of skiboarders from the gondola today at Kicking Horse... looked like 3 on probably RVL8 boards plus one skier, from what I could tell. Tried to catch up then waited at the bottom for 10 or 15 minutes; not sure if I was ahead or behind by the time I made it to the bottom as it was a pretty quick run down. Near the end of the day (close to 3) so they might have gone back to their vehicle by then.

Was that anyone here? Send me a message if you want a contact number. Would love to take a run with you if you're up again soon!
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Met a skiboarder from Kelowna last weekend at the base of Stairway to Heaven chair, on Spruce boards (Ospreys I think??? Don't quote me on that). Nice to see!
    Quite a few bladers on the hill too, on Salomons, Firefly blades, etc... did see someone on smaller boards dropping into Feuz bowl but didn't see their run or what they were riding.

(yeah, I've become a wee bit of a gear snob, but at least blades are a gateway to the good sh*t!)
    BOARDSLAYER
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Bert and family met up with me at the Horse last Sunday... first time I've ridden with skiboarders, and it was a blast! Got my butt kicked on a few fast runs.
      (and with Blunt riders, even I'm wondering how you can rip like that on such short boards!) I'll put some video up when I get it edited.

Pretty sure that's the crew I saw in the first post of this thread, and I would not have beat them down the mountain with the 10 minute head start they had.

We got to talking about getting some more riders together, anyone up for a Powder Highway trip next season? Red Mountain is only a 3 hour drive from Spokane, and after that there's a chain of good hills in our neck of the woods.
      BOARDSLAYER
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

We are in!! I will even offer to set up an event in Faceybook land if we can agree on some dates, Feb is almost always good skiing. I hit 106 KMPH chasing you around that day, it was a super fun sampler pack of The Horse, we all look forward to meeting up again. Lets keep it open and if we agree on some dates I will start getting the word ooooout

Comment

And just went back and looked it could have totally been us that day you tried to chase down a pack of skiboarders! We were probably headed back to the car as we still needed to drive 3 hours back. So glad we got to meet up!

Comment

106 kph? Dang, the old flip phone I have doesn't do ski aps, so I have no idea what kind of speeds I hit ( the GoPro's GPS suggests up to 70 kph coming out of chutes but I don't trust it). On Blunts, that's like 33.5 board-lengths per second! If you make it up again before the end of the season, let me know.

Yeah, it was totally you on that day... I remember looking out for a skier in red or orange, haha! It was near the end of the day, think I only got one more gondy lap in.

I vote for sometime in March, as February here can be cold snaps or snow droughts, but March is almost always sun or fresh powder. Work's usually a little slower, too. Might want to take spring break into account for accommodations, though. I should be able to put a few people up at my place, and if we get some early confirmed participation my next-door neighbour has two cabins for rent up at this end.

Whitewater's a must-hit for me, and Nelson's a great town to stay in for a night or two; up for whatever mountains we can visit in a reasonable manner beyond that. I don't know Revelstoke's mountain but could probably get someone who does to show us around. One of my buddies used to actually do on-resort guided trips for Red, Whitewater, Revy and KH. Not sure we'd get him on skiboards but he's a sick skier. Will have to see what pass system everyone is on, and what that means for riding, but RCR is Epic friendly (5+ free days I think) and Revy might also be.

Uploading videos from the day you were up right now, but it's going slow... will post when it's done!

BOARDSLAYER
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Here it is!
              BOARDSLAYER
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Ha ha those bike features sure we're fun! Thanks for the video!

Comment

Revy is part of mountain collective (along with Sun peaks, Pano, Louise and sunshine) not RCR. I hear whitewater is getting a new lift hto access a little higher. We could do a Southeast BC tour, red and whitewater, then travel to Fernie/Kimberley/Panorama/kicking horse lots of options. We will have to just decide and make it happen!

Sunday Monday in red/whitewater, Tuesday travel and/or ski Fernie, Wednesday hit Kimbo for a easy day (maybe)then kicking horse to finish the week on Thursday/Friday for the travellers. Nice weeklong tour. I could show around Fernie and Kimbo no issues.

March sounds good too better temps for sure.

Comment

Sounds like a good itinerary! I know Whitewater well (minus the new lift) and have a decent knowledge of Red (plenty for a day trip). I have no issues with skipping Revy (keeners could hit it at the end), and that list makes for a good round trip. I don't mind being the base station and potential carpool for anyone flying in and out of Calgary (more driving at the start, but less at the end).

Talk to the FB community to see if any dates stand out, I should be able to take any week off in March.
                    BOARDSLAYER
                    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                      Here it is!
                      wow nice steep terrain!
                      Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

You're on the coast, eh? Come check it out sometime!
                        BOARDSLAYER
                        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                          You're on the coast, eh? Come check it out sometime!
                          I lived in Banff winter 2014/15. Rode kicking horse a few times, probably my favorite resort in that area!
                          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Well, the season's done now, but if you feel like making a trip out this way next winter, let me know. I ride every weekend, pretty much. Kicking Horse is quite the mountain, and I learn more of it every season.

That Powder Highway trip should be a go, too.... think I might get a full RCR pass next year to commit to it, and hit Kimberly and/or Fernie a few times with the Kimbo crew. Whitewater's a total gem as well, prime skiboarding with endless glades and lots of fun little drop zones.

BOARDSLAYER
                            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                            X