Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vermont or NH, or Boston area next Sat. and Sun? Nov. 19, 20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont or NH, or Boston area next Sat. and Sun? Nov. 19, 20?

I'm traveling to Boston next week and am thinking of taking the opportunity to ski a couple of days next week, most likely on Saturday and Sunday. Somewhere within about 3 hours of Boston.

Other than Killington, are there other places I should consider? Anything open close to Boston? Any other places besides Killington within about 3 hours from Boston that would have snow?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    I'm traveling to Boston next week and am thinking of taking the opportunity to ski a couple of days next week, most likely on Saturday and Sunday. Somewhere within about 3 hours of Boston.

Other than Killington, are there other places I should consider? Anything open close to Boston? Any other places besides Killington within about 3 hours from Boston that would have snow?

Thanks!
    I'm pretty sure Killington is the only thing open in the east as of right now.

Comment

Looks like it. I'm just wondering if the coverage will be worth it a 3 hour drive, an overnight stay there (probably free with hotel points), and the extra luggage fees for the ski bags that Spirit airlines charge for each bag. Anyway, I've never been there, so probably will give it a try. If the weather keeps cool, they might have a few more trails open by next week. Will be a last minute decision but my wife and I have almost made-up our minds to open the season there.

Anyone care to guess what the conditions would be? Slush or ice or maybe nice ?

Comment

Early season at Killington is a fun atmosphere but I am not sure it's worth the travel and lift ticket costs. The Beast has some of the best snowmakers in the biz but you looking at 3 runs (maybe a few more by the weekend if it stays cold). And in actuality it's really 1 1/2 runs as one of the runs just gets you over to skiing from the gondola and of the other two one is half the length of the other. When you are done skiing for the day you'll need to hike back over the gondola to download. It looks like the are making snow on 3 runs that when added to the ones they have open will create one continuous route top to bottom so keep an eye on conditions

It's your call. It looks like they are discounting the lift tickets so you are not going to get killed if you go. The early openings at Killington are really intended to keep season pass holders happy. If you have paid one flat fee for the entire season you don't mind bonus skiing if it's ugly. Paying for a single day pass and doing the travel all comes down to how much you are dying to ski. Knowing where you live it might be worth it since Whitetail and other places close to you might not be open until Christmas or later.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I'll keep an eye on the conditions. On Facebook they say there is a chance for top to bottom coverage by the weekend, but we have to wait and see. If we don't go skiing, we'll have to find something else to do for four full days in Boston or elsewhere nearby ...

Comment

I'll keep an eye on the conditions. On Facebook they say there is a chance for top to bottom coverage by the weekend, but we have to wait and see...
            Yup if you look at their conditions map if looks like you'll be able to take the K1 Gondola up to the upper third of Great Northern ride that to ride that to Rime or East Fall, then (if the make enough snow) connect to lower Great Northern, to Mouse Trap, to Bunny Buster. Note that this is all intermediate or better terrain. I know you can handle this but think about that with the rest of your crew. While this is top to bottom skiing your lift will be a gondola ride so you are clipping our of your skis each full lap. Though I expect they would extend the snow making enough that you could ride portions of this circuit with regular lifts.

If we don't go skiing, we'll have to find something else to do for four full days in Boston or elsewhere nearby ...
            There is no shortage of fun in Boston. It's a great historic town. Even if you just hangout at some of the local pubs you'll have a good time. If you want to go full tourist and get some exercise walk the Freedom Trail. It winds past some of Boston's most historic sites and would be fun on a crisp fall day. http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks for the info! From what I see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awynnaLvBrw my wife should be able to ski it fine, though I'm not sure if she will totally enjoy the conditions - the steepness is not a problem, but it looks a bit "rough" for her in terms of grooming quality

If the airlines were more reasonable in terms of luggage fees, we would just grab our stuff and decide whether to go or not go skiing once we get to Boston. But Spirit charges $40 each way for a 40lb checked bag. The free carry-on is pretty insignificant (smaller than other airlines, can probably fit one of my boots per bag, if that). So we'll need to check-in two large bags (a ski bag and a suitcase or duffel bag) - it's going to be $160 to just get our ski stuff there and back... To be fair, the plane tickets are only $109 round-trip (before luggage fees), so even with the luggage fees it will still be under $200 per person for the airfare, so not terrible.

Comment

Hmmm, the weather looks warm and from what I can figure out no new snow was made at Killington over the last few days. Sunday night it starts to get cold and snow is expected, but that's after I would have left...

Does anyone know if the weather forecasts on weather.com and the like for Killington are representative of the temperatures on the slopes? Saturday is in the mid 50s, with no below freezing overnight. I don't particularly like mushy conditions like that... But if it freezes overnight and they groom it, it might be nice on Sunday (if it does not rain). Still debating with myself if it will be skiable (I don't care much about the variety or length of the piste, only that the conditions will not be terrible).

Comment

On the other hand, just found this: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/1291

Looks like good temps Saturday towards Sunday, even some 4.7" of snow are forecasted overnight. Sunday the winds will be howling though...

Comment

On the other hand, just found this: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/1291

Looks like good temps Saturday towards Sunday, even some 4.7" of snow are forecasted overnight. Sunday the winds will be howling though...
                    yeah - there is a major cold front coming in Saturday evening that will drop daytime temperatures 30+ degrees in much of New England and even here in northeastern PA. Depending on where you are, there will also be snow - we are expecting some at Elk also. I don't know what Saturday's conditions at Killington will be, but they will definitely be back to making lots of snow that night.

Comment

I packed my skis and if the weather seems skiable, I will make the drive there for Sunday only. I think Saturday would be too mushy after several days (and nights) with 50F+ temps.

Comment

I packed my skis and if the weather seems skiable, I will make the drive there for Sunday only. I think Saturday would be too mushy after several days (and nights) with 50F+ temps.
                        Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        The Skiboard Connection
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

It was a good enough opening day for me. Would not have been appropriate for beginners as it was choppy due to the 5"+ of new snow over frozen/freezing thin base that's been thawing for a few days before that. Lots of bumps and at times were nard to see due to the snow falling in the morning, but it wasn't too bad in terms of visibility overall, and it improved in the afternoon as the snow was not as intense.

I did not count carefully, but I think by noon I must have done about 15 runs on the 141cm Ethan Too. Then the wait on the lift became a bit too long as the snow conditions were improving due to the snow showers piling more snow and the falling temps making it crisper. Switched to my new to me KTPs for 3-4 runs and called it a day by 2pm. Met another skiboarder on his RCs with custom risers, so the last couple of runs I had some company!

The hike up the stairs to the gondola was an added bonus, so I did it twice Someone said there were 250 stairs...

So overall, happy with the skiing. Hope the regular season will start soon enough down here as well.

Comment

Nice!

Glad it was a good day for you, Kocho. Maybe I'll be able to chime in with you, Ricky, Jack, Lobo Mal (Bad Wolf) and others on my Opening Day experiences in 2-3 weeks.
                            171cm/190lbs
                            Current Favorites:
                            RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                            Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                            Other boards I'm trying:
                            Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

It was a good enough opening day for me. Would not have been appropriate for beginners as it was choppy due to the 5"+ of new snow over frozen/freezing thin base that's been thawing for a few days before that. Lots of bumps and at times were nard to see due to the snow falling in the morning, but it wasn't too bad in terms of visibility overall, and it improved in the afternoon as the snow was not as intense.

I did not count carefully, but I think by noon I must have done about 15 runs on the 141cm Ethan Too. Then the wait on the lift became a bit too long as the snow conditions were improving due to the snow showers piling more snow and the falling temps making it crisper. Switched to my new to me KTPs for 3-4 runs and called it a day by 2pm. Met another skiboarder on his RCs with custom risers, so the last couple of runs I had some company!

The hike up the stairs to the gondola was an added bonus, so I did it twice Someone said there were 250 stairs...

So overall, happy with the skiing. Hope the regular season will start soon enough down here as well.

Great to hear. I plan on heading up there in a couple of weeks if Elk doesn't open up by mid-December.

Comment

Working...
                              X