Back to Bohemia (Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
    Hey Guys, I've got by far the most flexibility so whatever you guys decide... I will be there! Annnd... complimentary Mont Ripley tickets are on the table for those interested by request. I've also got plenty of room to crash if anyone wants to arrive early and ride the ripper for an evening. Off to Bohemia for some fresh der! *fingers crossed*
    I can't really turn down complimentary tickets if the scheduling works out correctly. A Friday evening jaunt could be a great way to loosen up the legs for Bohemia after so many hours of travel.

Courtney, tentatively count on me as one spot in your car. I'll have to see what ticket prices are like once we set the date, but your schedule sounds good to me.

Brick, that's a serious bummer. Gotta love all the curveballs that homeownership throws at you. Hopefully you'll still be able to join us next year for the main meet.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
      I've got some 2008 KTPs you can test drive
      That's fantastic! _REALLY_ hoping I can make the trip.
      Signatures are the online equivalent of an elevator fart. Here's anther one for you: CUPCAKE!

Comment

New boards!!

I know this isn't exactly the place I should be posting this, but I want opinions from the Midwest guys/gals. I currently have a pair of MikeNick Pros by Line 99cm. I love them, but am considering an upgrade. I am looking to go to 110cm, possibly 125cm.

1st question: Is 125cm too long? I know they are fatter, which I like, but not sure if 125 is getting too long without poles. Any thougths?

2nd question: I have seen some decent prices on boards from Summit. I know they aren't RVL8's. I only wish I could afford RVL8. Is this a decent alternative? Pros and cons of Summit?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If it helps to answer the questions, I like riding in the trees. I like doing some jumps. Not really into the halfpipe or rails, and like groomers and powder. I consider myself an advanced rider. Not an expert, but I think I can hold my own.

Thanks!!
        Last edited by Greco; 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jake.newhouse View Post
          1st question: Is 125cm too long? I know they are fatter, which I like, but not sure if 125 is getting too long without poles. Any thougths?

2nd question: I have seen some decent prices on boards from Summit. I know they aren't RVL8's. I only wish I could afford RVL8. Is this a decent alternative? Pros and cons of Summit?
          Q#1
          Currently your riding one the best boards the sport had to offer 15 years ago, and I'm sure they still rock! That being said it's going to be a world of difference no matter what you upgrade to, not only based on length but also width. I went from a 90cm old school Canon boards to the 105 Revolts and it took me awhile (probably 5 times out) to get used to the feeling of having alot more board under me even if spec wise it didn't look like that much more on paper. So if your looking to maintain something akin to the feather weight feeling of old school boards, I wouldn't go over 110 cm. I've never ridden longboard skiboards though so I don't know how maneuverability and what not change at that length.

Q#2
          Have read alot of positive reviews of the Summit Custom 110 in it's various forms, apparently they are pretty awesome boards.

Comment

I know this isn't exactly the place I should be posting this, but I want opinions from the Midwest guys/gals. I currently have a pair of MikeNick Pros by Line 99cm. I love them, but am considering an upgrade. I am looking to go to 110cm, possibly 125cm.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If it helps to answer the questions, I like riding in the trees. I like doing some jumps. Not really into the halfpipe or rails, and like groomers and powder. I consider myself an advanced rider. Not an expert, but I think I can hold my own.

Thanks!!
            I'll rent/give you my EMP's (Old Revolts) for the cost of shipping. They're pretty damaged, but good enough for the der in Bohemia. I think they'd break if you rode them much on hardpack or ice. They'd last a day or two at least at Bohemia.

Comment

I've used 170cm skis without poles and had no problems. Not using poles is all about how pedaling works for you - if you can't operate in the lift line then it's a problem. If you can, you're all good.

Don't be afraid to use poles with skiboards. Yes, it's one of those "things" but rider comfort takes precedence over appearance and honestly the vast majority of skiboarders I've encountered are pretty chill and accepting. Anyone who's going to ridicule you is basically just going to make themselves look like a dink. Besides, there are collapsible poles... I have a set I don't use if you're interested.

Remove from your brain the notion that a brand name itself makes a product inherently better or worse. RVL8s are nice because Greco provides good support for his products, they have some decent artwork, and due to the product range you'll _probably_ find something you like. At the end of the day, though, it's all about how YOU feel about the gear. Feel free to slide down on hand-carved 2x4s if you're comfortable with that. In my bedroom right now I have my RVL8 Revolt Trees sitting next to some generic 99cm short skis I bought new on Ebay for $40... while I love the width, look, and dimensions of the Revolts, the short skis are much stiffer which actually makes them preform better for handling the way I learned to ride as a skier (although they're a bit TOO stiff). They're also much more durable than the Revolts due to the materials, dimensions, and construction and aren't nearly as prone to chipping. That said, without the extra width they simply don't float in powder as much as I need them to and I don't care for the setback of the non-movable bindings.

Insofar as Summit specifically, I'm not familiar enough with their products to tell you the pros and cons. I'd suggest reading specific product reviews. I think Old Tyler (tylerlough) was on Summit boards for the first Bohemia meet this year so you might want to send him a PM. He seemed to do just fine on them, but he ended up picking up someone's old RVL8s on the second day. I'm not sure if this was due to being goaded/teased into it - sadly he did encounter some peer pressure - or if he was sincerely interested in different boards, but there wasn't such a stupendous difference in his before/after riding that the change seemed necessary.

As a basic fact of logic longer boards are going to be more difficult to navigate in the trees. From what you've listed you seem to be the typical all mountain rider.

Take your boards and bend them a bit. Both longitudinally (lengthwise) and torsionally (twist them). Flex is probably your most important consideration... if you like how your current boards feel when turning/carving and landing jumps then try to find something with comparable flex. I'd suggest that prior to investing in new gear you try out someone else's at the meet - from what I've seen it's not uncommon for people to bring extra boards... assuming I go and test drive Courtney's KTPs (and she's not on my boards during this time) I'll be happy to let you try out my Revolts. They aren't the length you're interested in, but they're pretty doughy and it'll be a good way for you to see how flexibility affects the ride.

I'm not sure why you're interested in longer boards specifically, but stiffness can have such an impact on the handling that having a comparative understanding is a good idea. For instance, longer but more flexible boards can be equally or less stable at high speeds than shorter but stiffer ones, though the more flexible boards are generally recognized as more forgiving and preferable if you're going to be horsing around in the terrain park. I don't think a few jumps here and there is going to necessitate a preference toward flexibility though.

This is an excellent thread with some great resources in regards to skiboard length selection. If you're using the chart, all of the boards listed are RVL8s but if you look up the sizing I'm sure you can find comparable offerings from other manufacturers. I'm unsure as to how flexibility is figured into the selection table.
              Last edited by Greco; 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM.
              Signatures are the online equivalent of an elevator fart. Here's anther one for you: CUPCAKE!

Comment

Wow, do I have some things to learn!! I am blown away by the responses already. It really makes me question everything now, which isn't bad. It makes me want to go on the Mt. Bohemia .2 trip even more to get more information and possibly try some other boards out. I think I am just going to wait until the trip before I make any decisions. I didn't know much about the boards I have now, but it seemed like they were really old and maybe a bit outdated with all the new stuff out there. I am very intrigued to learn more and try some other styles out. Thank you so much for all the information already. It has been a huge help!!

Comment

Tyler was on Canon M7's.

Summit boards are of a fine quality from what I've seen, but you don't see much of them within this community because SBOL is heavily biased toward RVL8. We are that way for a good reason, though. Greco genuinely cares about providing the best equipment to people, so that they can enjoy skiboarding. I have personally ridden about 13 different kinds of skiboards, and in my opinion RVL8's are the best in terms of overall performance. This has a lot to do with my personal riding style, of course, but I'm obviously not alone in my opinion. Summits tend to be a stiffer flex and are a capped construction. They also are generally thinner than R8's. This means that they will be a bit quicker edge to edge and will carve well on groomers, but they will not have as much float in powder.

I'll have KTP's and Rockered Condors with me at the 5.2 meet, and you're welcome to try either of them. I think it would be a wise choice to wait until after the meet to purchase any new(er) boards yourself. You'll get the chance to try some different models, and this should help you narrow down your choices. I'd encourage you to take Brick up on his offer of the EMP's. Even beaten up, they will still ride well. I rode mine for a whole season after I cracked the core in one, so I speak from experience.

Back to the main topic of the meet itself, it looks like we should have enough people to fill a yurt. If we end up going the later of the two currently leading weekends (March 15/16), there may be a chance that we could get on-slope lodging, which I'm a fan of. What are other people's thoughts?
                  Last edited by Greco; 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM.
                  RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                    Tyler was on Canon M7's.
                    Ah yes, I remember now.

Back to the main topic of the meet itself, it looks like we should have enough people to fill a yurt. If we end up going the later of the two currently leading weekends (March 15/16), there may be a chance that we could get on-slope lodging, which I'm a fan of. What are other people's thoughts?
                    I found there was little difference between the amount of riding I got in being on-slope as opposed to finding lodging elsewhere. Basically it just means you don't have to plan ahead for travel time or worry about someone in the group dragging their feet in the morning. I was a bit disappointed by the hike from yurt 1 to the common area, honestly, but seeing as how the cooking station was underwhelming anyway I'd probably be smarter next time and just bring cold foods.

I'm totally fine with a yurt and enjoyed the camaraderie, but it's not like it was a legendary aspect of the trip that my participation would hinge upon. If there's something which results in a better price per night it would get my vote as long as it's not a total dive or stupidly distant. Sadly, after contacting Lonnie he confirmed my suspicion that I could not in fact bring my mountaineering tent and set up camp.

Also, from counting the people who actually voted on a weekend we only have 7 at this point - and that's IF everyone can make the same weekend. Dunno if that would "fill" a yurt.

Comment

Originally posted by CKL View Post
                      Ah yes, I remember now.

I found there was little difference between the amount of riding I got in being on-slope as opposed to finding lodging elsewhere. Basically it just means you don't have to plan ahead for travel time or worry about someone in the group dragging their feet in the morning. I was a bit disappointed by the hike from yurt 1 to the common area, honestly, but seeing as how the cooking station was underwhelming anyway I'd probably be smarter next time and just bring cold foods.

I'm totally fine with a yurt and enjoyed the camaraderie, but it's not like it was a legendary aspect of the trip that my participation would hinge upon. If there's something which results in a better price per night it would get my vote as long as it's not a total dive or stupidly distant. Sadly, after contacting Lonnie he confirmed my suspicion that I could not in fact bring my mountaineering tent and set up camp.

Also, from counting the people who actually voted on a weekend we only have 7 at this point - and that's IF everyone can make the same weekend. Dunno if that would "fill" a yurt.
                      I don't want to speak for Bikeplatt, but him and I ride together all the time. He got me into it. We are definitely onboard with going on the .2 trip. We have some flexibility and would definitely be up for riding at Mont Ripley on Friday if that offer still stands. I know we are just excited to ride with some other boarders. Let us know what we can do or what information you need from us. We will be driving up from Madison, and will probably have room for at least 1 other person in the car, depending on the vehicle we take. Can't wait to get up there!

Comment

Just saw this on Bohemia's site:

Spring Break Special
                        Date: March 9th-end of season

Discounted lodging, lift ticket, meal packages begin
                        $75/ per person per day includes: lodging, lift ticket, breakfast, lunch and dinner (based on quad occupancy)

This must only apply for the cabins and doesn't help out those of us who already have passes, but it will probably mean on site lodging fills up quickly.

On site lodging is nice simply for the convenience of being able to stop in, change, eat, etc. I'm open to staying on site or at a different location nearby. The beds at Bohemia aren't great, but the ski in/ski out aspect is really nice.

Comment

Couple of screenshots from an uncompressed clip. My friend Matt (Marshall thought he was pretty cool, for a snowboarder) got a go pro recently... way too much fun!!

The Approach
                          The Grab!

full clip with sound here (40 mg)

I'll make sure to have .flvs in the future, lol. So stoked for .2. And yes Jake.newhouse, the ripley offer is still there. Once we have dates locked down, I can lock down the tickets.

Comment

Awesome! Looking forward to finding Middle Earth

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
                              Couple of screenshots from an uncompressed clip. My friend Matt (Marshall thought he was pretty cool, for a snowboarder) got a go pro recently... way too much fun!!

The Approach
                              The Grab!

full clip with sound here (40 mg)

I'll make sure to have .flvs in the future, lol. So stoked for .2. And yes Jake.newhouse, the ripley offer is still there. Once we have dates locked down, I can lock down the tickets.
                              Not working for me in Firefox 26. I get a download popup then it disappears almost immediately. Also, congrats on NOT just posting this as a .flv - not a big fan of the format.

EDIT: Got it working in Chrome, but daaaaaaamn do I hate to use a browser which participates in abducting information for google. On top of that the video was only 4 seconds long both times I downloaded it (size was 47.2megs)... that seems like a truncated runtime.

Comment

sorry for the tech woes clark
                                The clip is 29 seconds long, I didn't have any trouble downloading it off wasteonline last night. Try using VLC for playback.

Comment

Working...
                                X