No announcement yet.

Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LYK, you are awesome! I really appreciate the insights. I'll certainly send this thread link to our trip coordinator.

I certainly agree with paying homage to Mahatma and his Live Why outlook. I think we all miss that big dog.

Comment

Glad to be of help. I’m enjoying reliving some of these adventures in my head - hope the world goes back to normal soon.

Comment

I always enjoy reliving my skiing adventures. Our trip coordinator thanks you too for all the info. She's looking forward to really disecting every bit of info she can find. Unfortunately, politics are so unstable we've had to push this trip back to probably 2023.

I'm positive I'll take my trusty Sherpa's to Japan. I'm not sure that taking another set of shorter sticks would be worth the extra weight and hassle.

Edit: That made me wonder when my passport expires. Had to go check. I'm good there till 2029.

Comment

Regarding accommodations

Traditionally, Japanese lodging was/is a communal affair. Guests ate, bathed, and slept in a setup almost like a hostel. Hence - a lot of local hotels still charged like a hostel - priced at per head rather than per room. Some have moved on with the times, and most international chains shouldn’t have this issue at all. But it can be an interesting gotcha when comparing prices.

Most accommodations at the destinations mentioned above would fall under either the “western hotels” or “traditional ryokan” categories. The key distinction between the two is that “Western hotels” would typically have off-floor beds and en-suite bathrooms. Traditional ryokans are more likely to have bedding on the floor (tatami) and shared toilet and bathing facilities. If staying at a ryokan or planning to visit any hot springs - I’d suggest googling japanese communal bathing etiquette ahead of time to avoid awkward situations.

Ski cabin/vacation home rentals are mostly limited to the resort areas frequented by international tourists - ie Niseko and Hakuba.

If you do make it to Kagura - I’d highly recommend to stay a night on the mountain at the Wadagoya hut. Access is via ski lifts only so pack lightly.
          https://www.princehotels.com/en/ski/...#accommodation
          Click image for larger version  Name:	re_p02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	263675

Comment

Japan is still on my club's radar scope. They just sent a questionnaire.

Projected dates of Trip: Sometime between Feb 8th - 22nd, 2025

What type of lodging would you be interested in?
            -"Western" Style Hotel
            -Ryokan ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryokan )
            -Japanese Pension/Inn (think cross between B&B and hostel)
            -Any of the above

For skiing, what would be your preferences? (select all that apply)
            -Ski-in/Ski-out
            -Multiple areas (accessed via bus)
            -Groomed runs
            -Tree skiing
            -Guided cat-skiing
            -Lessons with English speaking instructors
            -Night skiing

While staying near the ski area, which of the following would most interest you? (select all that apply)
            -Snow Monkey park tour
            -Onsen (hot springs)
            -Western food options
            -Meals served at lodging
            -Authentic local cuisine
            -Ample convenience stores
            -Other:

Which trip type would you prefer?:
            -Full week at ski location
            -Split trip - 3-4 days at ski location and 3-4 days in Tokyo
            -Full week at ski location with extension to Tokyo
            -Any of the above

How many members of your family would attend?

Would you be willing to put a deposit down/sign up for the trip earlier than the normal signup meeting (likely around May 2024)?
            -Yes
            -No

This would likely conflict with the annual "warm weather" trip, how would the club offering a ski trip to Japan impact your choice of trips?
            -I am not planning on going on a "warm weather" trip.
            -I am currently planning on going on a "warm weather" trip but would likely go on the Japan trip instead.
            -I would have to compare trips and decide.
            -I am planning on going t on the "warm weather" trip, even if there is a ski trip to Japan.

Comment

Is Japan requiring vaccine passports for non Japanese citizens?

Does Japanese customs make an issue out 20 year old DUI's like Canada sometimes does?

Comment

Working...
              X