Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Coast Winter Stoke, El Nino's Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Just when you thought winter was over, the West is about to get slammed by the storm of the century. Dropping temperatures and five to ten feet of snow over the next week should hit the reset button for us and revitalize the season. Tahoe is taking the brunt of the storm, but Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and the PNW should all benefit from this change in the weather.

Sempai and I are planning the ski the Cottonwood resorts from March 17th through to the 20th. I'm sure the amazing Kyu will join us as well. There are some great spring deal out there right now to take advantage of. So, come out and join us.
    Tempting, tempting, tempting!

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    I get a rental from the airport when I visit Salt Lake, usually a 2WD midsize sedan to get around town in. It usually come out to close to $100 for the four days.

You can get up the canyon roads in a 2WD, but if it snows they restrict the roads to snow tires and 4WD only. The ski bus will get you up the hill and there are plenty of park and ride lots around town, but on snow days they do get busy.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Do you think a rental car is a good idea (4x4, maybe)? Or the shuttle busses do a fine job? Did you get a pick-up from/drop-off to the airport with that deal?

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied

We booked through with the Country Inn in Sandy. The deal is four nights at the hotel, with breakfast and a pool, and four days skiing at the Cottonwood resorts. Based on double occupancy, it came out to about $500 per person. Considering a four day Superpass is $300, it gives you very good quality accommodation for $50 a night.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Speaking of great deals, can we share?

Speaking of great deals, can we share? Here's what I've found so far: the superpass

http://www.visitsaltlake.com/skicity/super-pass

From that page there are also links on top right to hotel deals, many include fee superpasses, but I haven't checked availability and exact pricing yet...

Where do you guys stay? I want something with a pool for after skiing or if we skip a day (mainly for my daughter).

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied

Just when you thought winter was over, the West is about to get slammed by the storm of the century. Dropping temperatures and five to ten feet of snow over the next week should hit the reset button for us and revitalize the season. Tahoe is taking the brunt of the storm, but Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and the PNW should all benefit from this change in the weather.

Sempai and I are planning the ski the Cottonwood resorts from March 17th through to the 20th. I'm sure the amazing Kyu will join us as well. There are some great spring deal out there right now to take advantage of. So, come out and join us.

With the news of the storm, several conversation have popped up in other threads causing unwanted drift. So lets use this thread to report on conditions and plan some great skiing before the season end.

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    Sempai said Tahoe was supposed to get 5-10 feet in the next several weeks
    It's actually 5-10 feet in the next couple of weeks.

This was the forecast from yesterday:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/0...t-this-weekend

This one is from today. It's already backing off the storm totals, so 5-10 feet sounds highly unlikely. It's too early to say what we'll get. Anything will help. We've been warm and dry most of Feb.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/0...t-this-weekend

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    The Cottonwood resorts have faired the best in the recent heatwave because of their elevation and northerly exposure. Park City, Snowbasin and Powder Mountain have really suffered with a daily freeze/melt cycle. Sunday should see a significant drop in temperatures with about a foot of new snow. A good sign that the high pressure ridge is finally moving out. I think conditions by mid March will be fantastic. They have a great base and this new storm cycle is just what we need. It's always tough to predict the weather, but I'm looking forwards to my trip on the 17th.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Probably need a new thread for this, but here it goes: how will skiing be in the second half of March there? I am thinking of getting a week off from the 17th or the week after and go skiing somewhere with my daughter. I've never skied in Utah or anywhere else for that matter other than on the East Coast. Given the El Niņo season, what is the weather like there vs. say Arizona or Colorado?
    Sempai said Tahoe was supposed to get 5-10 feet in the next several weeks. . . Maybe that is an option? I was just in SLC and the skiing was great, but they definitely need a refresh of snow. There were a few days when the temperatures did not get high enough to soften the snow much, so some of the conditions were similar to the ice coast conditions (albeit with much larger terrain and much better scenery)

Leave a comment:

• Sponge
    replied
    I've been coming to SLC for about 17 years, mostly in the Spring (March, April, May), and the conditions have usually been great. This year Dec and Jan were great but a horrible Feb. Last year was pretty bad until mid April when there was a major dumping.
    Despite a bad Feb, there's a good base right now with a good snow forecast for next week so I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Probably need a new thread for this, but here it goes: how will skiing be in the second half of March there? I am thinking of getting a week off from the 17th or the week after and go skiing somewhere with my daughter. I've never skied in Utah or anywhere else for that matter other than on the East Coast. Given the El Niņo season, what is the weather like there vs. say Arizona or Colorado?

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    How will skiing be in the second half of March there? I am thinking of getting a week off from the 17th or the week after and go skiing somewhere with my daughter. I've never skied in Utah or anywhere else for that matter other than on the East Coast. Given the El Niņo season, what is the weather like there vs. say Arizona or Colorado?

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    A couple of us should be riding in the Cottonwoods starting March 17th. Come join us.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sponge View Post
    Haven't been for a while. Cottonwood resorts are easier for me to get to, cheaper, and less crowded so I stick to them. Mostly Solitude/Brighton but also Snowbird.

Bad Wolf: Gonna be in Zion then, but let me know next time you're up here.
    That will be the last weekend of January next year for Westfest 2017 !

Leave a comment:

• kyu
    replied
    Originally posted by Sponge View Post
    Haven't been for a while. Cottonwood resorts are easier for me to get to, cheaper, and less crowded so I stick to them. Mostly Solitude/Brighton but also
    Sounds good. I'll let you know if/when I head up the Cottonwoods

Leave a comment:

• Sponge
    replied
    Originally posted by kyu View Post
    Hey Sponge you ever make it out to ParkCity? The place could definitely use another skiboarder.
    Haven't been for a while. Cottonwood resorts are easier for me to get to, cheaper, and less crowded so I stick to them. Mostly Solitude/Brighton but also Snowbird.

Bad Wolf: Gonna be in Zion then, but let me know next time you're up here.

Leave a comment:

• kyu
    replied
    Hey Sponge you ever make it out to ParkCity? The place could definitely use another skiboarder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X