Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Coast Winter Stoke, El Nino's Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    ....My home mountain (Elk) had a grand total. . . drumroll please. . . of 11 inches this season
    Sad season for sure. Ready for a post El Nino snow rebound next season!

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
    Is that natural snow total?
    Yes, that is natural snow totals. A typical season for us is only 35" - 65" inches of snowfall, so quite low compared the west. . . But usually it is cold enough to make lots of snow and the entire mountain has snowmaking capabilities. This year the warm weather hurt us by starting the season 1 month late and ending early.

Leave a comment:

• Fedfan
    replied
    My home mountain (Elk) had a grand total. . . drumroll please. . . of 11 inches this season
    Is that natural snow total?

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by sempai View Post
    The final snow totals at the Tahoe resorts for this season. It's hard to believe with all the snow we received that some of the resorts were still below average. Northstar came out being the highest above average. This season was the first time that I've experienced the resort 100% open. The tree skiing was incredible along with all the powder days we had. I hope for a repeat next season.
    Glad I got to enjoy some of that at ShredFest.

My home mountain (Elk) had a grand total. . . drumroll please. . . of 11 inches this season

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    The final snow totals at the Tahoe resorts for this season. It's hard to believe with all the snow we received that some of the resorts were still below average. Northstar came out being the highest above. This season was the first time that I've experienced the resort 100% open. The tree skiing was incredible along with all the powder days we had. I hope for a repeat next season.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Just to close the loop, posted some videos in this thread:

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...474#post155474

Thanks for all the help with information and advice!

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Thanks! Good info in case I need to find a replacement, if indeed the airline has lost my binding (and not me, having forgotten it in the basement before we packed).

On a separate note, my impression from the shuttle service up the mountain roads is that they are not that frequent, especially mid-day. The roads were clear, so I had no trouble with my rental front wheel drive with all season tires - not a snowflake on the pavement, despite the almost 20" of fresh snow that fell at the higher altitudes at the ski areas. The road cleaning crews did an excellent job pretreating and cleaning the little snow that fell on the road. What helped were temperatures near freezing and a little above at the low elevations. Had it been much colder, I would have needed the chains or winter tires. As it was, any car was fine.

We stayed in Sandy at the Hyatt Place, using frequent traveler points. A very convenient location, just off the mountain pass to Brighton/Solitude, and Alta/Snowbird were right there too. About 20 minutes or less each way to any of these resorts from the hotel. Hyatt place is ski-friendly with guest laundry on site and decent hot breakfast included. Small warm outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi too. Single day super passes could be obtained at the hotel, and were a few dollars cheaper than the multi-day passes one can buy online ($74 adult, $38 junior for a single day pass at the hotel).

Special thanks to Kyu for meeting us there and offering vouchers and food and skiing suggestions! It was nice to meet you in person!

And yes, skiing was excellent with as much variety as we wanted and with great snow conditions almost everywhere. We only did Solitude and Alta and they were perfect for us.

Any Head, Tyrolia, or Fischer "Power Rail" bindings should work - same bindings, different model names.

Head / Tyrolia Model Names
    PRD 12, PRD 11, PR 11, PRX 12, PR 10

Fischer Model Names
    RC4 Z12, RSX 12, RC4 Z11, RS11, RS10

And just be aware that any models that start with these letters will use a different brake type than what you currently have on your PR 10
    PRD, PRX, RC4, RSX

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Thanks, Macro! I was there at L9 yesterday, but did not realize the PRX is compatible. Should have read the description - I new one of the other models was compatible, but forgot which... Would have bought it. The rental skis will cost over a $100 for the 4 days my wife will need them, so even at the $160 this binding is a good deal... Unfortunately, L9 is closed on Sunday for Easter. I'll see them on Monday.
    Any Head, Tyrolia, or Fischer "Power Rail" bindings should work - same bindings, different model names.

Head / Tyrolia Model Names
    PRD 12, PRD 11, PR 11, PRX 12, PR 10

Fischer Model Names
    RC4 Z12, RSX 12, RC4 Z11, RS11, RS10

And just be aware that any models that start with these letters will use a different brake type than what you currently have on your PR 10
    PRD, PRX, RC4, RSX

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Thanks, Macro! I was there at L9 yesterday, but did not realize the PRX is compatible. Should have read the description - I new one of the other models was compatible, but forgot which... Would have bought it. The rental skis will cost over a $100 for the 4 days my wife will need them, so even at the $160 this binding is a good deal... Unfortunately, L9 is closed on Sunday for Easter. I'll see them on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Skied Alta today - excellent weather and snow!

However, somehow one of our toe pieces for the Tyrolia PR10 bindings either got lost or I left it home. So we are short one pair of skis and have to rent. Would someone in Utah, within a driving distance from SLC, happen to have a PowerRail (PR) compatible toe piece to lend me until Wednesday? Or sell me the whole binding set? Either the Ethan Too or the Head Caddy has to stay in the bag without that missing toe piece... Thanks!
    LevelNine has a store right there in SLC and opens at 11:00am this morning:

L9 Sports Salt Lake
    660 S 400 W
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101
    MONDAY-SATURDAY: 9AM-7PM
    SUNDAY: 11AM-5PM
    877-589-7547

They have just one left in stock, but it is a Head PRX 12 binding ($159.99) which should work because best I can tell it uses the same Power Rail. It is an upgraded toe (LX), but you should be able to use either the whole system as a set or match the toe with your heel piece. Note that the heel piece is also an upgrade so can't use your brakes - and it only comes with 80mm brakes so those would have to go on the Caddy. LevelNine should be able to verify the compatibility or even let you test it on your power rail.

Definitely call them first since only one in stock and make sure it is at that location (should be, because I think that is the location they do their mail-order out of).

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Skied Alta today - excellent weather and snow!

However, somehow one of our toe pieces for the Tyrolia PR10 bindings either got lost or I left it home. So we are short one pair of skis and have to rent. Would someone in Utah, within a driving distance from SLC, happen to have a PowerRail (PR) compatible toe piece to lend me until Wednesday? Or sell me the whole binding set? Either the Ethan Too or the Head Caddy has to stay in the bag without that missing toe piece... Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Been watching the Sugar web cams. Quite a storm last night . . . .

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Winter continues to hold on in Tahoe.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Looks like another storm with up to 18" is rolling in tonight near Salt Lake City in Utah. Then some more snow is forecasted for Friday, just in time for our first ski day on Saturday. Hope that's good news (or not, if that brings the crowds out :-( )!

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    The drive is amazing, you go through a high mountain pass above Bringham City, then along the twisting canyon road by the Logan River.
    The drive is even more amazing if you come from Wyoming on 30 then to 89 passing by Bear Lake, which is what I did two seasons ago on Sempai's Big Adventure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X