Midwest Meet 2016 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2016 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Winter is coming, so let's start planning! The seventh annual Midwest Meet will be held January 22 - 24 at the one of a kind Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula).

Bohemia is known for epic snow fall and untouched powder. Like 351 inches in a season.

Check how much fun we had last year

Mount Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

When?
    You know the drill! Same weekend we know and love. January 22 - 24 (riding Friday - Sunday).

Lodging
    In the past we have stayed at the cabins and yurts at the base of the mountain. This year we're going to stay in Calumet (about 30 minutes away). We'll have more amenities in Calumet and should get much better rest (less noise, more comfy beds).

Here are the options we've reserved for this year:

American Inn, Calumet
    We have 4 rooms at the American Inn in Calumet reserved.
    - Room 1 is for Thursday - Sunday for folks arriving Thursday evening and riding first thing Friday AM.
    - Room 2 & 3 are for Friday - Sunday for folks arriving Friday.
    Post up if you'd like to reserve a spot in one of these rooms.

Ahmeek Street Car Station, just outside Calumet
    Jake & John have reserved the Ahmeek Street Car Station. They have room for 2 more. Check out post #41 in this thread for more info.

Lift Tickets
    Every year Bohemia has a $99 season pass sale on the first Saturday in December. Most of us take advantage of this, which works out to be a great deal for riding three days. Several of us have also made a second trip back later in the season. Another option is to purchase lift tickets each day for around $50. If you decide to buy lift tickets on site each day, keep in mind that Bohemia has a credit/debit card only policy (no cash).

Schedule
    Thursday Evening
    - Early arrivals (people who want to ride right away Friday AM)

Friday
    - Arrive at Bohemia
    - Ride
    - Head back to Calumet (30 minute drive)
    - Dinner in Calumet

Saturday
    - Drive to Bohemia
    - Ride all day
    - Clean up and change in Calumet
    - Dinner in Houghton
    - Back to Calumet

Sunday
    - Pack up, check out of hotel
    - Ride all day
    - Depart after riding

Carpools
    Minneapolis, MN area: Courtney - Driving from Minneapolis. Room for 3 people, can pick up from Minneapolis airport (MSP).
    Carpoolees: Brick
    Arriving Thursday night.

Green Bay, WI area: Andrew - Driving from Green Bay area.
    Carpoolees: Tim
    Arriving at Bohemia Friday, January 22 around noon.

Detroit, MI area: Sam - Driving from Detroit area, room for up to 2.
    Carpoolees: Ben

Who else is driving? Let us know and I'll add you here!

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr directly for more information.

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a list going of "definitelys" and "maybes". Please post and let us know where you belong and we'll add you to the list. Bonus points for making the definitely list before December... but only if you definitely show up!

Definitely!
    Courtney - American Inn Room 1 (Thursday - Sunday)
    Brick (ElkCloner) - American Inn Room 1 (Thursday - Sunday)
    Andrew (adeehr) - American Inn Room 2 (Friday - Sunday)
    Tim (Crazyboy-1) - American Inn Room 2 (Friday - Sunday)
    Sam (MoltenCore) - American Inn Room 3 (Friday - Sunday)
    Ben (benscsnyder) - American Inn Room 3 (Friday - Sunday)
    Jake (jake.newhouse) - Street Car (Friday - Sunday)
    John (Bikeplatt) - Street Car (Friday - Sunday)
    Old Tyler
    Young Jack (jackschmid)
    Nick (Schmulbach) - Local
    George (g.dub) - Local

Maybe?
    Keith (solaceiam)
    Nick (ZwingZ)

If you're hoping to make it let us know and we'll put you on the list!

While you contemplate, check out the great times we've had over the years: Midwest Meet Playlist

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: Bohemia's website says "experts only" - should I consider coming?
    A: Yes! As long as you're comfortable riding in trees and quickly turning both directions, you'll be fine at Mount Bohemia. The mountain is 100% natural, so some experience in powder riding / variable conditions is a plus, but not required. Regardless of your riding level, no one will be left behind.

Q: Do I need to wear a helmet?
    A: A helmet is highly recommended. Riding in trees makes for variable conditions and we don't want anyone to sustain any serious injuries.

Q: What should I bring?
    A: Great question! Here's a helpful list.

Things you need to bring to Bohemia (or you’re gonna have a bad time)

General:
    - A credit / debit card (cash is not accepted at Bohemia)
    - Printed confirmation of buying your season pass (just in case you're not on their list, because that happens)
    - An ID to prove who you are
    - Printed directions to get to Bohemia (your GPS is probably going to bring you someplace other than Mount Bohemia)
    - Health insurance cards (not a bad idea to carry these on you while riding, just in case)

Riding:
    - Skiboards (bring an extra set if possible)
    - Bindings
    - Boots
    - Leashes
    - Helmet (we don’t want you to die)
    - Goggles
    - Jacket
    - Snow pants
    - Layers (the more the better)
    - Gloves / mittens
    - Ski socks
    - Something to cover your face

Things you might want to bring to Bohemia (but probably wouldn’t die without)

- Hand warmers / foot warmers if you get cold when it's cold (sometimes these are hard to find in Houghton, depending on how cold it has been)
    - Camera, GoPro, etc
    - Chargers for your devices
    - Food, beverages, snacks (Bohemia's food isn't great or cheap)
    - Extra outerwear in case you get really wet or something
    - Wax, iron, etc (I'll bring mine, usually a few other people do too)
    - A backpack to carry stuff on the hill (if you're into that)

Pro Tips:

- Don't go in the ditch (you're going to be in the middle of nowhere)
    - Don't lose your wallet or car keys (this has happened)
    - Wax your boards before the trip
    - While cellphone coverage has been improving in the area, signals tend to not be great, so be prepared for that
    - If you'd like a copy of footage shot from various cameras, bring an external hard drive (ideally something Mac or FAT32 formatted)
    - The wifi at Bohemia sucks at best

February 5 - 7
    24.00%
    February 12 - 14
    28.00%
    February 19 - 21
    24.00%
    February 26 - 28
    24.00%

Despite living near Boston, this trip is always so tempting. It's so well organized and the stories & videos are great. Doubt I'll be able to come, but wish I could!

Comment

Originally posted by Yegg View Post
      Despite living near Boston, this trip is always so tempting. It's so well organized and the stories & videos are great. Doubt I'll be able to come, but wish I could!
      We'd love to have you sometime! It's the most fun I have all season

Comment

Yes. Add me to maybe because i have no idea what the date is today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jackschmid View Post
          Yes. Add me to maybe because i have no idea what the date is today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Today is Sunday, September 6. If you're booked this far out I am impressed!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Most Def!

Comment

I like how I don't even have to say in and I'm in ....oh wait don't I usually handle the lodging...of course I'm in!
              Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by adeehr View Post
                I like how I don't even have to say in and I'm in ....oh wait don't I usually handle the lodging...of course I'm in!
                You're required. Only a few of us have been to every event!

Comment

I'm in!!! I'll be driving from Metro Detroit and have space for one or two people depending on if I can convince my newly converted skier to skiboarder friend to come

I'll be returning from my honeymoon in Thailand on the 8th of January contingent on me not drowning in the Gulf of Thailand or contracting some deadly southeastern Asian disease :P
                  Boards:
                  RVL8 2012 Rockered Condor 110cm
                  RVL8 2011 Kirk Thompson Pro "KTP" 101cm
                  RVL8 2012 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
                  RVL8 2007 ALP 110cm

Bindings:
                  Bomber Elite2
                  RVL8 2014 Receptor "Black"
                  Spruce Composite Riser

Boots:
                  Nordica Ace of Spades 2013

Comment

John and I will be making the trip this year as well. We may not get up there until really late Thursday night or possibly early Friday morning. We will plan on skiing all three days. John is going to do a little searching and see what other alternative options we have for lodging if people don't want to stay in the yurt. Can't wait to get up there. Has there been any more information on the snowcat only area that they were talking about last year. I know there were a lot of mixed views on it, but was curious to know if there was anymore information on it, and if anybody was thinking about doing that this winter.

Comment

Sam, you better not bring back any strange illnesses to spread around!

Jake, glad you and John will make it again. I'd love to hear more about any alternative lodging options you're interested in. While the ski in, ski out is super convenient, it definitely isn't the most comfortable. If folks are interested in staying off site we can certainly coordinate that instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jake.newhouse View Post
                        Has there been any more information on the snowcat only area that they were talking about last year. I know there were a lot of mixed views on it, but was curious to know if there was anymore information on it, and if anybody was thinking about doing that this winter.
                        The only update I've seen is that they started clearing trees in April.

Comment

Hey all, as always we are trying to find what works best. I like the ski in ski out option at Bohemia, but the sleep isn't very restful with all the people making out outside the thin walls of the yurt. So I've been looking at other options close by as well and there are log cabins just down the road at the Lac la Belle Lake. They look pretty nice, room for 5 to sleep plus room on the ground for sleeping bags if we end up with more than ten (so I'd reserve 2 cabins) plus it looks like there are more than 2 cabins there, so we may be able to get more if we have more people anyway. If we had 5 per cabin it'd be $76+tax per night per person. The yurt would be at best $86+tax per night per person if we have all 9 spots filled. The yurt does include meals (not very good ones) but some food I guess. With the cabins though we'd have more room and I could always grill us brats n burgers again like in previous years and have our Friday night get fat meal.

Here is a link to the cabins http://www.vrbo.com/614900

Let me know what you guys think. Jake and John, not sure if this is the type of lodging you guys are looking for but they do look nice and definitely more roomy than anything Bohemia has to offer.

Thoughts from all?
                          Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                            You're required. Only a few of us have been to every event!
                            So I'm not automatically on the list because...?

I'll most likely come up with Andrew as usual, and I like the new cabin idea. I prefer to eat my own food.
                            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                              So I'm not automatically on the list because...?

I'll most likely come up with Andrew as usual, and I like the new cabin idea. I prefer to eat my own food.
                              Hey man, you never know. Getting up there in age and all

I'm up for trying out the new cabins. The food they served with the yurts was pretty gnarly and the noise can be frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                              X