We Need Snow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Need Snow!

With just three weeks to go until the Powdown, these are the current base depths according to On The Snow;

Park City 34 inches
    Deer Valley 39 inches
    The Canyons 27 inches

No where is 100% open. This is much less than average for this time of year. The good news is that the lift lines are very short, bad news, because no one is skiing.

Tahoe seems to be worse off, although the Shredfest is still six weeks away;

Squaw 19-21 inches
    Northstar 18 inches
    Sugar Bowl 13-25 inches
    Alpine Meadows 19-20 inches

Northern Cali is reporting 20% of their normal precipitation. 20%

Are we in danger of a dry Powdown and Shredfest???
    Just these, nothing else !

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

Are we in danger of a dry Powdown and Shredfest???
    It's looking that way. The first resort that I had planned to hit on my trip out West hasn't even opened yet. It looks like I have to rearrange my schedule. If I hadn't already prepaid on certain lodging and lifts, I'd pull out of both Powdown and Shredfest and either do a trip to Colorado or just stay local. This would have been a great year for attending the Midwest Meet. Michigan is having epic conditions.

Let's hope for a couple miracle snowstorms in the West soon.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      It's looking that way. The first resort that I had planned to hit on my trip out West hasn't even opened yet. It looks like I have to rearrange my schedule. If I hadn't already prepaid on certain lodging and lifts, I'd pull out of both Powdown and Shredfest and either do a trip to Colorado or just stay local. This would have been a great year for attending the Midwest Meet. Michigan is having epic conditions.

Let's hope for a couple miracle snowstorms in the West soon.
      I have my flights booked and hotel reserved but no lift tickets yet. I think I'll hold off and wait to see how the conditions are closer to the events before I commit to the resorts.

Mount Bohemia look really good right now.

Comment

We got lots of snow, actually I am getting tired of shovelling it. I have used my snowblower more times so far this season than I did in the last 5 combined. We just need warmer temps to enjoy it.

As for Powdown and Shredfest; poor conditions in the mountains are still better than my local best conditions. It just means I will ride boards that are easy to repair bases on. But I am still hoping for those storms before both events.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I just read that there are a couple of storm systems that will be hitting Eastern Utah and Western Colorado that could produce a lot of snow. Unfortunately it looks like the SLC area won’t see much. The Utah resorts can’t get a break it seems.
          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
            I just read that there are a couple of storm systems that will be hitting eastern Utah and western Colorado that could produce a lot of snow. Unfortunately it looks like the SLC area won’t see much. The Utah resorts can’t get a break it seems.
            Where did you read that? Reveal your sources
            64 CM Bigfoot’s
            100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
            110 CM Rockered Condors
            130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Originally posted by CAN View Post
              Where did you read that? Reveal your sources
              I think it was weather.com, something about the next big weather system to watch out for.
              Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Salt Lake City UT is due for a few storms in the coming week.

UT weather report

Comment

UT weather report
                  Good to hear for PowDown!
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

UT weather report
                    Hot damn! This is excellent news! Even Northern Utah is getting snow. That's great! Now I can keep to my schedule and not switch up resorts.

I'm losing faith in weather.com. They can't seem to get their forecasts right, plus they're all about posting stupid and disturbing videos on their site nowadays. I'm switching to weather.gov.
                    Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Not doing so good over here in Mammoth. Reported 15-25 inch base. I cant remember the last time it snowed here. On the bright side its always sunny and warm.

I did hear that Utah will get dumped on the rest of the month....

bnuff

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
                        Not doing so good over here in Mammoth. Reported 15-25 inch base. I cant remember the last time it snowed here. On the bright side its always sunny and warm.

I did hear that Utah will get dumped on the rest of the month....

bnuff
                        That is amazing - so little snow at Mammoth at this point.
                        In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Some of the Utah resorts are reporting snow totals ranging from 10 - 22 inches so far. Let's hope the snow continues to fall and temps stay low.
                          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                            That is amazing - so little snow at Mammoth at this point.
                            Yep, so bad...bleak. The bottom of my boards feel like sandpaper from riding on dirt and gravel.
                            rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                            ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Just a little props to Vail Corp and how they are managing the drought year at Heavenly and Northstar . Heavy investing in snowmaking machinery , and summer clearing of rocks from all the main runs , coupled with cold nightly tempartures have combined to allow Vail Corp to provide an excellent skiing and riding experience at both resorts despite the uprecedented drought . The days are bright and sunny and almost all the main intermediate runs on both mountains are completely covered with a very nice groomed snow surface without rocks and they have nice park set ups . At Heavenly you can ski from all the base lodges including two on the Nevada side , the central tram area and the California side with miles and miles of pefectly groomed and covered runs , Same at Northstar with all main runs covered all over the mountain from top to bottom . The main difference this year has been no real powder days and no real expert terrain open but otherwise still very good drought proof riding especially for riding with large groups with mixed abilities. . The other Tahoe resorts without the same level of pre season slope prep and snowmaking investment are really struggling badly.
                              Boards :
                              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                              Boots
                              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                              Bindings:
                              Zero Pro Non release Binding
                              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
                              X