Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2014 - Mount Bohemia, MI

It's that time of year again...

The FIFTH! annual Midwest Meet will once again be held at Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula)

Mount Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

When?
    This year the event will be held January 24-26 (riding Friday - Sunday).

Lodging
    We will be staying on site again this year in the yurts. Big thanks to Marshall for helping coordinate lodging! More info about lodging and payment below.

Lift Tickets
    Every year Bohemia has a $99 season pass sale on the first Saturday in December. Several of us have taken advantage of this, which works out to be a great deal for riding three days. Several of us have also made a second trip back later in the season. Another option is to purchase lift tickets each day for around $50. As of last season, Bohemia had a credit/debit card only policy, so you'll want to keep that in mind when making your decision.

Schedule
    Friday
    - Ride after arrival
    - Grill at yurt

Saturday
    - Ride all day
    - Dinner in Houghton

Sunday
    - Ride all day
    - Depart after riding

Carpools (Updated Dec 30, 2013)
    Minneapolis, MN: Courtney - Driving from Minneapolis. Room for up to 2 people, can pick up from Minneapolis airport (MSP).

Green Bay, WI area: Andrew (Deehr) - Driving from Green Bay area. Possibly meeting up with Nick and company and taking one vehicle.

Cincinnati, OH area: Marshall (Maverick) - Driving with New Tyler from Cincinnati area.

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr for more information.

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a tentative list going of confirmed and maybes. Please post and let us know if you're maybe coming or definitely coming and we'll add you to the list.

Definitely!
    Marshall (Mavrick) - PAID
    Courtney - PAID
    Tim (Crazyboy-1) - PAID
    Russel (bee) - PAID
    Ryan (nudelles) - PAID
    New Tyler (Tphelps927) - PAID
    Andrew (adeehr) - PAID
    Clark (CKL) - PAID
    Old Tyler (tylerlough) - PAID
    Brick (ElkCloner) - PAID

If you're hoping to make it let us know and we'll put you on the list!

Last year's video

Lodging this year for the Midwest Meet will be in Yurt #1 at the base of the mountain. The total cost estimated per person will be $89.82 which includes all taxes and fees for lodging.

Payment for lodging can be sent via paypal to: mhoward1@kent.edu

Yurts:

Sleeps nine (bunk beds and pull out couch)
    Bring your own linens or sleeping bags, towels and pillowBathroom
    Shower
    Sink
    Heated
    Electricity

If it looks familiar, yes I did verbatim your post from last year Andrew.
    Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Which hotel are you thinking?
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        Which hotel are you thinking?
        For most if not all of the .2 rides at Bohemia the crew has stayed at the Super 8 and said it works well, so we are looking there. $62/night per room at this point. Cheaper for 1 person to stay in a room then to stay in a Yurt with 10 people, crazy huh?
        Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

Comment

As usual, I will definitely be there. I'm fine with the Super 8. Is anybody up for a Smash Bros. tournament? I'll bring a console and controllers. I know there are some fellow gamers in the group, and it's rare anymore for me to have the opportunity to indulge in some good old fashioned beat'm up multiplayer goodness.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
            As usual, I will definitely be there. I'm fine with the Super 8. Is anybody up for a Smash Bros. tournament? I'll bring a console and controllers. I know there are some fellow gamers in the group, and it's rare anymore for me to have the opportunity to indulge in some good old fashioned beat'm up multiplayer goodness.
            I'm IN!

Comment

I am going to try and make this. Only catch for me is that it is likely that I will have a new job by then so I am not sure if I will be able to take the time off or not.
              In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I've been thinking this over a lot since Courtney mentioned it to me a few days ago. I'm just not sure. The on site accommodations are a large part of the trip for me. Being able to ride on/off right to my stuff is super convenient. I don't ride the whole day anyways so being able to sit in my bed rather than the public lodge is more appealing. It's also nice to be 100ft from a bar. The hotel is nice for the return meet as it is only a few of us. But the big meet we're always on the slope first thing in the morning. With an hour ride having to come from Houghton that means getting up even earlier. I also do a ton of traveling in my line of work. I've seen enough hotels. Walking out of the lodge/yurt at bohemia at night is so serene. Walking out in the middle of Houghton at 0 degrees......is not. To me, the on site living is a big part of what sets Bohemia higher than the rest.

I know...whine whine, bitch bitch. But it's a ~$600 vacation to walk into it knowing there are lot of things I'm not going to enjoy. This year would have sucked much worse if I would have stayed at the hotel all day with my bum foot.

How much is this going up? A yurt is 512 for 3 days + tax which puts us at right around 68 dollars per person after adding in a 7% tax to fill one with 8. Adding in food and we're at what 80? I know we're usually at around 75-80. Unless it's a big increase that I'm missing, I don't see where there's a big cost increase to warrant wanting to stay elsewhere.

If everyone's gung-ho on the switch to driving 2 hours round trip a day and we bring a bigger crowd I'll consider it, but with pow down a week or so later, the only thing different about bohemia at that point is the powder riding for basically the same cost and accommodations it makes the decision pretty difficult for me. That's just my $.02 guys.

Comment

I had an awesome time last year, but the yurt was a big part of it. Aside from Marshall's snoring, that sucked.

After a 13 hour drive up there, I'm really not looking forward to spending several hours in a car each day. The convenience alone is worth the extra cash for me. Having a private place to sit, change and rest during the day rather than sitting around the car is a big plus. Also, hot food for lunch.

Anyway, the yurt definitely gets my vote. Either way, I can't wait to go back.

Comment

I'm with you Marshal about the drive, I wouldn't look forward to the extra round trip daily, and not being able to crash right there would be a stinker, but for me this year, I can't guarantee I'm going to even make it. I've got my house on the market and as soon as it sells we are going to start building, so timing might not work out for me this year, so I don't want to start taking payments, organizing lodging if I'm not going to make it for sure.

As for cost, I'd have to look back at my spreadsheets to see what the cost came to last year, but I typically take the full amount and estimate we'll be 66-75% full, so that's the payment you guys send, and then if we have more then I use the extra for food. The last few years when I've done the snacks/drinks/breakfast with the extra money we just used the leftover for paying for that along with the grill out Friday night.

All that being said I don't think it was really the cost that was the problem, it's the fact that when I reserve the yurt or cabins they take the first nights stay and I can't get my money back if we cancel/change. This year I don't want to take that risk if I"m not there. If the group would rather stay on the hill or stay in one of Lonnie's new luxury cabins on the water with private (or shared) bathrooms we could do that. Unfortunately I just can't take up the lodging organization.

Comment

Let me just add that I am in favor of trying Houghton this year, to see how it goes, as well. I've never made it to a .2 meet so I don't know the logistics that you guys do when it comes to the extra drive. (just wanted to put that out there)

Comment

Andrew,

If it means staying on site, I'll take care of the lodging coordination.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick View Post
                          Andrew,

If it means staying on site, I'll take care of the lodging coordination.
                          Hey Marshall, if you're up for it I think that'd be great. Let's at least see if we could get a reservation. I believe sometimes you can reserve online, but sometimes you have to call and talk to them for certain yurts.

It's hard to do a cost comparison at this point since we don't know how many people we'll have. Obviously we wouldn't want to have to drive three cars to Houghton and back each day.

The big yurt sleeps up to 13 (2 full size beds, 4 twin size beds, 2 pull out full size couches and one twin futon) and costs $400 / night (9% tax, $872.00 total) - this option was there then disappeared, so I'm not 100% confident in the accuracy.
                          9 people = $97
                          10 people = $88
                          11 people = $80
                          12 people = $73
                          13 people = $68

A trailside yurt sleeps 9 (unless you want two on the couch) and costs $245 / night (9% tax, $534.10 total)
                          6 people = $90
                          7 people = $77
                          8 people = $67
                          9 people = $60

If we went with a trailside yurt we would probably want the one closest to the bottom again so we don't have to carry stuff as far through the snow.

Comment

I was all for getting the big yurt this year, but looking at it, all we really get is more floor space. Same number of beds, just bigger. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm a little big for cuddling. Yurt #1 was great as far as location.

Comment

Originally posted by Tphelps927 View Post
                              I was all for getting the big yurt this year, but looking at it, all we really get is more floor space. Same number of beds, just bigger. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm a little big for cuddling. Yurt #1 was great as far as location.
                              Agreed. I think the only benefit of the big yurt would be a little more flexibility if we got more than 9 riders, but it'd be pretty cramped.

Comment

Working...
                              X