No announcement yet.

Midwest Meet 2014 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to hear you're not going, Nick. I was looking forward to meeting another Wisconsinite.

Just looked at the forecast. If you're doing cold wax, go with the VERY cold stuff - I'm using Swix CH4 which is ranged 14 to -26 Fahrenheit. 23 degrees is the predicted high temperature on Friday, and that's roughly 20 degrees warmer than Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday's high temps. Not even taking into consideration windchill, either. On the plus side it looks like a good chance of snow. For those of you with limited outdoor experience in weather this cold, numerous layers and limited skin exposure is the key to staying warm and keeping frostbite away.

On a personal note, I absolutely LOVE the cold and couldn't be happier about the predicted conditions.
    Signatures are the online equivalent of an elevator fart. Here's anther one for you: CUPCAKE!

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
      I just checked in for my flight tomorrow, and I'm starting to get things packed. Much as I enjoyed the yurt experience, staying in the cabin does simplify packing a good bit. I should be able to have just two bags for everything, especially since I upgraded to the Revel8 monkey backpack this year for my carry-on.
      I figure since we'll be the last ones there we can just secure the bottom bunks in the cabin, after all, we are the old men!
      Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

• Originally posted by adeehr View Post
        I figure since we'll be the last ones there we can just secure the bottom bunks in the cabin, after all, we are the old men!
        Works for me!
        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

• Currently a -35 wind chill in Minnesota. Looks like it's going to be windy at Bohemia too. Hope everyone packed plenty of layers!

Comment

• Was up there yesterday. Got a random call from an old friend to try it out.
            First time up there and I was impressed.
            0 degrees but no wind even though they predicted 30mph.
            Plenty of deep powder on the backside. We mainly stuck with the badlands area and found plenty to work with from packed down for the older guy and 1' in the tighter trees for me. I'm working on the video now. There is a downed tree on Pick Axe that is tight but you can get under just make sure you have a helmet.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLm1loGwB0

I'll be trying to join you up there some year and bringing a good friend along. Still rocking the only Line mike nick pros but hoping to have some alps for next year. New to the forum but noticed all the stickers up there and thought I'd do a search on here for Bohemia. Been riding shorties since 97 and I'm in the madison area. John

Comment

• How's the meet going? Got pics?
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Aftermath first!

Unbelievably fantastic conditions and a great group of people to slide (and occasionally tumble) down a mountain and through trees with. As an introverted newbie I had my doubts about bunking with so many other people, but I had a blast both on and off the slopes. From surviving Old Tyler's drive up to failing to choke on black olives during Andrew's drive down it was an adventure from start to finish. I will certainly be doing it again, and next time I hope that we actually remember the skitchin' boards!

On a side note, I'd like to mention that after getting a good up-close look at the GGO bindings they certainly appear very solid and my doubts about them were immediately put to rest. I'd have loved to have given them a shot if I had the presence of mind to bring proper snowboard boots.

I hope every made/makes it home okay, and that links to pics and video get posted soon
                Signatures are the online equivalent of an elevator fart. Here's anther one for you: CUPCAKE!

Comment

• I made it home to Indiana about an hour ago. The solo drive/adventure took just under 11hrs. I had crazy cross winds through most state of Wisconsin and then snow in Indiana. Ran out of washer fluid somewhere around Chicago.

Awesome meet with awesome snow conditions.
                  Gdub, that was a treat getting to bomb down MT Ripley Thursday night.

Comment

• Great time as always! Thank you all for making the trek out to the middle of nowhere for some epic riding conditions.

I hit a few white out spots on the way back in Wisconsin, but everything was fine once I hit Minnesota. Got home around 9pm central - not bad.

I put some pictures up on Flickr here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRm54zB

I'll slowly start cracking away at the footage as I have time.

Comment

• Currently sitting in the airport in Milwaukee waiting to fly back to a part of the country that isn't below freezing. I had a great time at Bohemia, as always. The cold temps were tough at times, but the powder made it so worth it.

I'm definitely going to do my best to make it for the 5.2 meet. I'd like to get the date figured out this week if possible to be able to plan vacation time and travel arrangements. At this point, I think there are tentatively six people coming back, which would make this the highest attendance for a .2 meet so far.
                      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

• Made it home 8am this morning!

I'm interested in a .2 meet, but it is doubtful that I could come. We'll see.

Comment

• 3 straight days of hard riding.. holy wah as they say around here! Can't wait for you guys to come back up... I'd recommend The American Inn in Calumet if anyone goes the hotel route next time way closer to bohemia than houghton and just down the street from my bar! I also have two spare rooms I'd be willing to turn into a skiboarder hostel. Sunday was rough, stuck bumping chairs and digging a spot for the new yorker.. had to take a pic.

Victory!

Comment

• Originally posted by g.dub View Post

That's some impressive digging! It's always a blast to ride with you. Glad we were able to meet up two of the three days!

I hadn't even realized there's a hotel in Calumet - definitely a lot closer than Houghton. If we can't get on site lodging for .2 that seems like a good option.

Right now my February and March are decently open for a return trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bikeplatt View Post
                              Was up there yesterday. Got a random call from an old friend to try it out.
                              First time up there and I was impressed.
                              0 degrees but no wind even though they predicted 30mph.
                              Plenty of deep powder on the backside. We mainly stuck with the badlands area and found plenty to work with from packed down for the older guy and 1' in the tighter trees for me. I'm working on the video now. There is a downed tree on Pick Axe that is tight but you can get under just make sure you have a helmet.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLm1loGwB0

I'll be trying to join you up there some year and bringing a good friend along. Still rocking the only Line mike nick pros but hoping to have some alps for next year. New to the forum but noticed all the stickers up there and thought I'd do a search on here for Bohemia. Been riding shorties since 97 and I'm in the madison area. John
                              Great to see tagging efforts of the past few years have paide off! Welcome to the group, we're glad to have you! There will be a group that goes up again (probably) this year. But for sure we'll have our 6th event next season at Mt Bohemia (Provided they don't charge me $60 again for pizza and soda...)

Keep this site in mind and check back and join in on conversations. And make sure to check us back next season, we'd be glad to have another Wisconsinite with us!

Great meet as always all, it'll be hard to beat those conditions again, but we've had good luck so far with this meet, we are always in for a treat at the end of the world!
                              Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

• Just checked out the pics. If the blowing up my Facebook with Joey's goodness wasn't enough for me to regret not coming, the powder and snow babies definitely did it. I neeeed to make it to .2.
                                Boards: Condors, Chickens, EMP's, Original Revolts
                                Bindings: Bombers, FF Pro
                                Boots: Lange xt100
                                portfolio

Comment

Working...
                                X