Midwest Meet 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tylerlough View Post
    If we want to get there around noon that means Nick and I need to get to Andrew's house around 6 or 6:30am.
    From my aunts house to Andrew's house is 60 miles so it should be a little under a 1.5 hour drive. So if Nick gets to my aunts about 4:45 or 5am that could get us to the mountain by about noon, weather permitting. That would mean Nick would leave his house in Waukesha at about 4am. I hope he's ok with that.
    Don't feel any pressure to rush on my account. I'm feeing it a bit in my lower back and legs after just five hours at the local mountain, so even two days at Bohemia should be plenty. I call back of the pack with Andrew.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

• hey guys, do me a favor. can you log what times you leave>get on plane>leave>Stops in between>getback on the road>arrive at bohemia?. i want to do something neat with everyone's travel times.

and if you've got cameras, film everything. travel, stops, funny stuff, etc.

Comment

• No problem.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

• Tim I'll race you for slowest....
          Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

• Originally posted by adeehr View Post
            Tim I'll race you for slowest....
            Hahaha, you're on!

Comment

• Tim.. we've always had you to blame when we found a flat spot. Who will be our new trail blazer?

Comment

• Gotta love the lake effect. It snowed hard while I was at Indianhead today. I imagine it did the same at Bohemia.
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  Gotta love the lake effect. It snowed hard while I was at Indianhead today. I imagine it did the same at Bohemia.
                  You better not be out there killing your legs again this year!!
                  Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

Comment

• Originally posted by adeehr View Post
                    You better not be out there killing your legs again this year!!
                    I am, but I'm riding at Bohemia this time regardless. Now I'm off to soak my tired legs in epsom salt in my in-room jacuzzi. Ha ha!
                    Boards/Bindings:
                    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Just some last minute things to remember...
                      *Bring A Pillow
                      *Bring A towel, body soap, hand soap, shampoo & all toiletries.
                      *Bring Extra comforter if you get cold easy
                      *Bring Flashlights
                      *Bring two-way radios for comms on the hill
                      *Bring power strips to accommodate your gear
                      *Cameras, video cameras, hard drives & extra memory
                      *Bring $1 Cash for each day you plan to ride if you have a season pass.
                      *FILL YOUR GAS TANK ALL THE WAY and go shopping @ the Wally-World/Econo Foods in Houghton
                      *Remember where you left your keys, cell phone and wallet at all times.
                      *There is no cell service at the base of the hill. I will have 1 two way radio on channel 8
                      *There is great cell service at the top of the hill, you just have to be able to ski down.
                      *I will have my laptop with skype/email/facebook for the people you aren't bringing technology to let their family know they haven't run into a tree or plummeted to their death. The internet is not that great up there though so don't count on it working.

Places:
                      If you're looking for food or pop I would suggest going to Econo-food which is right across the road from walmart, they are usually always cheaper.
                      1000 W Sharon Ave Houghton, MI 49931

As for outdoor gear Down Wind Sports is about the only place you're going to get good service, you could go to Mount Ripley but they aren't that great.
                      308 Shelden Ave Houghton, MI 49931

Bear Belly Bar & Grill is the Gas Station/7-11/Burger Bar 5 min. from Bohemia. Burgers and fries are about $6-$8
                      11627 Superior Street, Lac La Belle, MI 49950

The only big name bank you'll find up there is a Wells Fargo, other than that ATM's are few and far between, stock up when you get to Houghton.

Ski Gear:
                      *Helmet (This is a must)
                      *Multiple different layers (it could be cold, but you get hot riding powder)
                      *A camel back is a good idea
                      *Boots, boards, bindings & spare boards
                      *Gloves / Mittens
                      *Goggles - No night skiing
                      *Jacket + pants
                      *Something to cover your face
                      *Hand Warmers/Feet Warmers
                      *Chap stick

Originally posted by bec2745
                      ********* BOHEMIA TREASURE MAP *********
                      A1/A2 - A1) Off the lift by the base you go around the drop off of the other lift to get to the Haunted Valley Section of the Map. Altho it looks like individual cleared Glades its basically an entire nice wide section where the little stuff is cleared out. Medium thickness of trees, and if you head hard left its one "trail name" a little less left is another the middle is a third and so on. so basically wherever you enter the woods its a different '"trail". All these woods filter and end up on a actual cleared trail that will bring you back round to the other side of the mountain at point A2. The trail the woods filter to is pretty flat so some pushing is likely going on.

B) Off the main lift left and between one of the few blue trails on the right "Phoenix" I believe is the name and the back to the left are some good fairly wide open woods with a bunch of smaller drops,cliffs, and natural features.

C) Just under and right of the Main lift are some nice dense woods that Dennis and i found a really nice broken tree that we used as a kicker/ up-rail thingy. Probably rose almost 5 feet at the tall end. A few other small drops here. Pretty steep sections as well.

D) Off main lift right hand u-turn. follow trail maybe 100m and then duck into the woodsas soon as they start to clear out a little. We actually had to duck under a branch and up a hill so we had to carry speed and it was a tight fit. But worth it. There was a phenominal 12-15ft drop (approx at the hash mark) after about 50m. just enough room to get some speed and drop it. landing a bit tight with trees so make sure you step to the edge and plan out your line before dropping. After the big rock it is fairly smooth and steep. and medium thickness with the trees.

E) X Doesn't mean don't go there just means they weren't open when we went so i have no idea. If you ride these i Guess you can either shuffle on a flat 'trail' thing to the second lift or you can drop down to the road and the roving Bohemia buss will pick you up and take you back to the lift. it just makes laps up and down that road all day,

F) ALL these trails were awesome. Just be careful. No grooming so there are quite a few things that you wont normally come across at your regular resorts. But they were all fairly steep in places and you can pop in and out of the woods along most of them. Just be careful there are a couple of ravines you don't want to get stuck down in. Also there wasn't as much snow when we went as now but some of the drainage ditches going perpendicular to the trail were pretty severe ( this actually goes for all cleared out trails) and if your not careful, or if you want them to they will throw you 10-15 feet. When we went you could hit these and get air and land in the snow however you wanted and not feel it. Just scope it out before hand.

You might see me do a Nolan this year...
                      The Nolan: Traversing down a slope wearing skiboards, but without utilizing them. Generally the stomach or back are substituted as the sliding surface. See also "Shamu impersonation"

Comment

• Just wanted to say HAVE FUN everyone!!!!!! Sounds like a great time and good snow to be had for all going! Looking forward to any pictures & video that pop up on the forum!!!
                        Woo hoo!!!! first meet of the NEW year season is here, niiiiiice job you guys, keep it going!
                        C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

• Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                          Tim.. we've always had you to blame when we found a flat spot. Who will be our new trail blazer?
                          Lol, I guess we'll have to nominate someone new this year. Of course, I could just yell grossly inaccurate directions from the back of the pack too. We have to hit at least a couple flats spot purely for tradition's sake. I mean really, what's a Midwest Meet without a little cross-country skiboarding?

Comment

• Enjoy your weekend and be safe everyone. We expect to see a lot of posted pictures and video!
                            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

• Thanks guys! We'll have plenty to share

Arrival Times & Meeting Up

Courtney & Marshall - 10:00 AM
                              Scott - 10:00 AM
                              Nolan - 12:00 PM
                              Andrew, Nick, Tyler, Tim - 12:00 PM

These times can of course change, but this is when it looks like people will be planning to arrive.

Scott, do you want to meet me and Marshall at the bottom of the main lift around opening? We may run into you sooner than that while we all get our tickets, but we'll plan to hang out by the lift and look for you.

Nolan, Andrew, Nick, Tyler & Tim, should we plan to meet you all at the bottom of the main lift around 12:30? If we don't see you guys by then we can try again at 1:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                                Thanks guys! We'll have plenty to share

Arrival Times & Meeting Up

Courtney & Marshall - 10:00 AM
                                Scott - 10:00 AM
                                Nolan - 12:00 PM
                                Andrew, Nick, Tyler, Tim - 12:00 PM

These times can of course change, but this is when it looks like people will be planning to arrive.

Scott, do you want to meet me and Marshall at the bottom of the main lift around opening? We may run into you sooner than that while we all get our tickets, but we'll plan to hang out by the lift and look for you.

Nolan, Andrew, Nick, Tyler & Tim, should we plan to meet you all at the bottom of the main lift around 12:30? If we don't see you guys by then we can try again at 1:00.
                                Since I stupidly didn't buy a season pass I will probably skip Friday riding, and it sounds like we will be arriving around 1pm or so. They added a new 'luxury' yurt this year that sleeps 13 it says. I want to check that out as the price is $5 cheaper per night than renting 2 cabins. So next year we may be able to do that instead of cabins and we could welcome in more people and drive the price down. Gotta think ahead!

Comment

Working...
                                X