Durango anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durango anyone?

Yeah, so, Durango Co. the thursday after Christmas. Be there!

I would, but Durango is going to be insanely crowded during the week between christmas and new years, to the point that the 4 hour drive wouldn't be worth it for me.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

I stay as far away from resorts during vaca's as I can. If you make yuor way to winter park you could go with us to bertoud pass. You would need your own avalanche beacon.
      live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not near experienced to go anywhere where I could possibly need an avalanche beacon

Comment

Brett, any recommendations on beacons? I kinda want to get into true backcountry riding but I don't anyone who lives near me that rides, so it would be hard to justify dropping that much into one for something I might not do much.
          I do it because I can.
          I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

Go to backcountry.com they have a good selection. The brands vary and I couldnt tell you which ones are better just buy the name but you will want one that has both digital and an analog signal. Mainly so mom has someone to bury. The survival rate for someone who is buried is very low. If someone doest get to you in about 8- 12 mins the likleyhood of of getting out alive drops dramaticly. Not that it doesnt happen but it isnt very often. I might be wrong but I think colorado had 4 death due to people be buried in slides last year and alot of injuries. If you do find your self in a slide try to swim up hill. if you go under try to roll befor it stops so you maybe can make an air pocket. But above all you need to know how to read snow pack. Or at least go with someone who can. Its the best way to prevent being in a slide. As Adam found out the other day. we have had some wierd layers of snow this early season . Adam got about half way down a chute when it released. lucky for him he had a spot to ride out of it but ti could have been bad. Its not just snow that can f&$k you up in a slide there are rocks moving and not moving and then there is hitting a tree while in a slide. So be carful and check with the forset sevice for avi warnings and forcasts on slides.
            live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Yeah, absolutely on all of that. I've seen what slide can do quite a few times, just haven't ever been there when one started. I would definitely take an avalanche saftey/s&r course before I did any riding. The first thing I need to do though is find people that I can go ride with. I'd say that I'd come up and join you guys, but I don't know if I'd be able to do that enough times per season to make it worth it. Do you know of anywhere near Winterpark that would rent a beacon? I might just take a class down here and then rent a beacon if I can. I would really like to get out and ride with you guys someday though. You still planning on coming down to Taos March 6-8 (possibly earlier if you want to practice and find some good lines) for the Freeride Competition?
              I do it because I can.
              I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

Working...
              X