ELK JAM III -- Feburary 3-4, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELK JAM III -- Feburary 3-4, 2017

The Elk Jam dates have been on the general festival schedule since last year but there has not been a dedicated thread for the event with details and to coordinate information. So, at Macrophotog's request, here goes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you ready for "1000 Feet of Vertical Excitement"?? Well that's Elk Mountain's tag line and we are back for our 3rd year of this informal gathering.

This year's Elk Jam is scheduled for Friday February 3rd through Saturday February 4th. Elk Jam is less formal than West Fest or Shred Fest as it intends to bring together local riders in PA, NY, NJ, and other surrounding areas to connect outside the forum. This is mainly a drive-in, drive out gathering with riders attending as they can so if you can only make one day please consider participating.

ABOUT ELK:
    Elk, located in Union Dale, PA, is known as some of the best skiing in Pennsylvania and is regularly said to be like skiing in Vermont without the drive for those of us that don't live in New England. From a terrain standpoint Elk has a little of something for everyone from terrain parks to long cruisers, to steep mogul fields. It has been the site of some of the fastest skiboarder speeds in previous seasons so there are no shortage of fun and challenges but it's also good for beginners and family too.

LODGING:
    What Elk has in great skiing/riding is lacks in accommodations. Elk is not a full service resort with a lux hotel at the base so most of the lodging options are 15-30 minutes away. Some local hotels offer ski and stay packages. Check HERE for your options.

I personally recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Dickson City

EVENTS:
    We will meet each day at a designated spot in the Elk base parking lot the is easily accessible from the slopes. This will allow for board sharing, gear adjustments, etc.. Expect the weekend to have plenty of time to swap and try boards that other riders bring. We will post the meeting location a day or two before Friday when Macrophotog returns home from West Fest.

ATTENDEES:
    Wookie (maybe Friday/definitely Saturday)
    Macrophotog
    Bluewing (on long sticks)
    Kocho (tentative)
    Talon (Riding/Filming Saturday)
    jwilbur3
    Davelynam and Rachel
    ** your name here *** (reply to this thread or send me a PM and I will add you to the list)

MORE ABOUT ELK ....

WEB PAGE: http://www.elkskier.com

TRAIL MAP:

ELK BY HELICOPTER:
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Definitely looking forward to this! Elk is a great place to ski and ride.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I will be in attendance with my girlfriend Rachel in tow. Do we have any insiders with discount tickets?

Looing forward to it
      facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Originally posted by Davelynam View Post
        .... Do we have any insiders with discount tickets? ....
        We had previously held this meet up during Elk customer appreciation/demo day in January but that conflicted with West Fest this year. There are not any discounts posted on Liftopia or other similar sites.

The only discounts I know of are for advance purchase tickets at area ski shops but those are small discounts:

Buckmans -- https://www.buckmans.com/buckmans-sk...t-tickets.aspx
        D&Q -- http://www.dandq.com/page.cfm/Lift-T...ers/Lifts.html

Elk ticket prices are here -- http://www.elkskier.com/tickets-passes/lift-tickets

Macrophotog may have some additional thoughts to add when he returns from West Fest as Elk is his home mountain.
        Boards:
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Elk

Hey, I can join you guys on Saturday. I live 2 hours away. What time are you meeting up?

Comment

Yes, can we be a bit more specific about the time and parking spot? I recall Macro described somewhere on which parking lot to park, so we can more easily exchange boards during the day (there is quick access from the slopes to some of the parking lots). But I can't find that info...

And agree on time too (at least for those close enough to make it by that time, the rest we'll need to text/call each other if late - I'd rather not delay the day's start and miss the freshly groomed runs just to have everyone together on the parking lot waiting for someone else to show-up).

I am still not 100% certain if I'll come, but there is a good chance that I will. Trying to convince the family to make it a 2-day trip, but they don't like long drives...

Comment

I will defer to Macrophotog who is the Elk guru for much of this but here are my thoughts:

Start Time: Elk Opens at 8:30. For best conditions and parking selection it is smart to plan on arriving at Elk around 8am and meet at the Lodge around 8:30. Elk offers a variety of lift tickets for half, extended, and full day options which can be viewed here --> http://elkskier.com/tickets-passes/lift-tickets. If this year is like previous year we will most likely ride to mid afternoon so the day ticket is the best option.

Parking: For those that do not know Elk access to the lodge requires parking in the main lot and then riding the "Elk Wagon" up the hill. This makes accessing your car difficult during the day if you want to swap boards. To work around this park on the far right hand side (as you come through the entrance) in the lot areas that adjoin the slopes. This allows you to duck off the slopes to swap out boards and access your car. If you plan on arriving late, especially on Saturday these spots may be full so you should plan on bringing what you may need up to the mountain.

Here is a pic of the parking lot for illustration:

Last year Macro coordinated rides to the season pass holder upper lot from this parking spot. I will leave it to him to comment on that this year.

NOTE: It is looking less likely that I will be able to join on Friday and if I do it may be midday (Long story -- blame the Federal Gov't -- what a circus ). I will be there Saturday and plan to start at 8:30.
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

OK. I'm coming with my wife and daughter for Saturday and Sunday. Arriving Friday night, but too late for skiing. Looking for hotels now (see if we can find something available with points)...

Comment

I reached out to Dave and Talon. Meeting them at 9am at elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vladampire View Post
                    I reached out to Dave and Talon. Meeting them at 9am at elk
                    Cool! I am still on the fence for Friday (work SUCKS!) but will be there on Saturday.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Well, my wife decided that the travel is too much after all... Now discussing with my daughter if she'd come or not. I will come, not sure which day (or both days) yet.

Who is going on Friday? I might try to take tomorrow off to come ski (maybe take a teleconference or two from the lodge), with a possible overnighter to Saturday...

Comment

ELK JAM III -- Feburary 3-4, 2017

Sorry guys - been in Utah for Westfest, then busy getting back to work while at the same time getting quite sick

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                        Macrophotog may have some additional thoughts to add when he returns from West Fest as Elk is his home mountain.
                        Wookie posted the only discounts that are out there. None others to be found.

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                        I will defer to Macrophotog who is the Elk guru for much of this but here are my thoughts:

Start Time: Elk Opens at 8:30. For best conditions and parking selection it is smart to plan on arriving at Elk around 8am and meet at the Lodge around 8:30. Elk offers a variety of lift tickets for half, extended, and full day options which can be viewed here --> http://elkskier.com/tickets-passes/lift-tickets. If this year is like previous year we will most likely ride to mid afternoon so the day ticket is the best option.

Parking: For those that do not know Elk access to the lodge requires parking in the main lot and then riding the "Elk Wagon" up the hill. This makes accessing your car difficult during the day if you want to swap boards. To work around this park on the far right hand side (as you come through the entrance) in the lot areas that adjoin the slopes. This allows you to duck off the slopes to swap out boards and access your car. If you plan on arriving late, especially on Saturday these spots may be full so you should plan on bringing what you may need up to the mountain.

Here is a pic of the parking lot for illustration:

Last year Macro coordinated rides to the season pass holder upper lot from this parking spot. I will leave it to him to comment on that this year.

NOTE: It is looking less likely that I will be able to join on Friday and if I do it may be midday (Long story -- blame the Federal Gov't -- what a circus ). I will be there Saturday and plan to start at 8:30.
                        Plan on arriving at whatever time you need to have tickets purchased and ready to ride first chair at 8:30am. We can meet right outside the lodge at 8:25am next to the big trail map sign closest to the ticket windows.

On Friday the upper lot should be open to the public as long as you arrive by 8:00am (and possibly later). This will save you from riding in the Elk Wagon which is just not fun. I'll post a satellite image here with a good place to park in the upper lot for switching out boards.

On Saturday, the upper lot will be closed, and everyone will need to take the Elk Wagon. I will post a satellite image of where to park on Saturday to be able to swap out boards during the day. And if you ski on Friday and buy a multi-day pass, then you won't need to take the Elk Wagon, because you can get right on the slopes on Saturday from this parking area.

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                        Well, my wife decided that the travel is too much after all... Now discussing with my daughter if she'd come or not. I will come, not sure which day (or both days) yet.

Who is going on Friday? I might try to take tomorrow off to come ski (maybe take a teleconference or two from the lodge), with a possible overnighter to Saturday...
                        If everyone that is going to be attending could shoot me a PM with your cell #, real name, and what days you will be riding, then I can keep track of all of that for our meeting up, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                          Sorry guys - been in Utah for Westfest, then busy getting back to work while at the same time getting quite sick
                          That's a bummer you are sick. I heard jjue is sick also. I bet the two of you picked up what you have on your plane rides. I never fly if I don't have to because I always end up sick. Airplanes are nothing but flying germ canisters.

I fought a cold about a month ago, and it turned into sinus infection with acute bronchitis. I took a 10-day round of amox-clav before and during the first couple days of Wesffest. You saw and heard how I was having issues. Three days after the fest, and I'm not really any better. I may have to go back to the doctor.
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                            That's a bummer you are sick. I heard jjue is sick also. I bet the two of you picked up what you have on your plane rides. I never fly if I don't have to because I always end up sick. Airplanes are nothing but flying germ canisters.

I fought a cold about a month ago, and it turned into sinus infection with acute bronchitis. I took a 10-day round of amox-clav before and during the first couple days of Wesffest. You saw and heard how I was having issues. Three days after the fest, and I'm not really any better. I may have to go back to the doctor.
                            Mrs Wolf had it right in the middle of our trip to Utah, and I got it just in time to go back to work on Monday. Freaking miserable, but at least I didn't miss any skiing [emoji33]
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post

Wookie posted the only discounts that are out there. None others to be found.

Plan on arriving at whatever time you need to have tickets purchased and ready to ride first chair at 8:30am. We can meet right outside the lodge at 8:25am next to the big trail map sign closest to the ticket windows.

On Friday the upper lot should be open to the public as long as you arrive by 8:00am (and possibly later). This will save you from riding in the Elk Wagon which is just not fun. I'll post a satellite image here with a good place to park in the upper lot for switching out boards.

On Saturday, the upper lot will be closed, and everyone will need to take the Elk Wagon. I will post a satellite image of where to park on Saturday to be able to swap out boards during the day. And if you ski on Friday and buy a multi-day pass, then you won't need to take the Elk Wagon, because you can get right on the slopes on Saturday from this parking area.

If everyone that is going to be attending could shoot me a PM with your cell #, real name, and what days you will be riding, then I can keep track of all of that for our meeting up, etc.
                              I'll know by tomorrow afternoon if I can make it.

Macro, I have your #

Comment

Working...
                              X