Colorado Major Meet-up - Interest Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Major Meet-up - Interest Thread

Do we need/want a Major Meet-up in Colorado??

It's been talked about before, everything from moving Shredfest, to a one day meet-up, to a major event but the interest always dies out. So as we wait for the winter to arrive let's see what the interest is. It might take some time to get organized and who knows if it will happen this season or will ever happen but ....

Who would be interested in a Major Skiboarder Meet-up in Colorado?

What are the pros and cons? Who might be interested in organizing? What resorts would be included?

Every year for the past 4 years my family and I make a pilgrimage to ride the Colorado Rockies. It is some of the best riding and certainly has something for everyone so what are everyone's thoughts??
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

I'm in, again, for the fourth time
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I'm interested.

The pros would be utilizing the Epic Pass and riding at awesome resorts that typically have great conditions. The cons are getting there, lack of affordable lodging, and crowds.

I'd suggest a combo of Beaver Creek/Vail or Keystone/Breckenridge.

Someone who knows the area would probably make the best organizer. Does such a person exist?
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

*paging Zach to the discussion*

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          Do we need/want a Major Meet-up in Colorado?
          Colorado is great for us because it's at least marginal driving distance, we have relatives in Denver, etc., but we have trouble organizing ourselves much less anyone else. Every year we make plans to attend Shredfest but end up actually making it about half the time.

For we (non-park) civilians, Shredfest is what it is because Wendell, Jack, (more recently Scott) and crew go to extraordinary trouble to make it happen. Without their effort (with an organizational assist from Slow) to steer and guide the group, no doubt it would devolve into everyone going their own way. Regardless of how far away it is or how much trouble it is to get there, I like the fact that there's one concentrated main event where we can count on catching up with old friends and meeting new ones.

Having said all that it would be cool to meet with other skiboarders in Colorado, we make a few trips there a season anyway ;-)

Comment

There are a lot of forum members who don't live in Utah but do make trips to ski there. Westfest was an attempt to provide a structure where all those skiboarders could get together and enjoy each others company. Because there are no local skiboarders , there is never a nucleus to plan the trip around. It is almost impossible for everyone to coordinate their work and kids schedules to get there on the same weekend. The best Sempai and I can do is just pick a time that suits us and then see if anyone else can join us.

I think a Colorado meet may have the same issue. With so many folks traveling, it will be hard to ever coordinate a date that works, even for a minority. Shredfest, the Midwest meet and even Elk Jams all work because there are a core of local riders who can drive to the location for a long weekend. Once you have to get on a plane , it all changes. I think it also helps if you can get Greco and the pro riders on board. If they come, others will follow.

There will be enthusiasm for a Colorado meet, I just wonder if it will ever be practical considering how few forum members live and ride there?

Comment

I don't think we are talking about replacing SF with a Colorado event but it would be nice to have a larger meet-up near Denver just due to the ease of travel for those of use on the East Coast. Getting to Reno is tough. I would love to be able to attend SF but the air travel there is long and requires me to burn 2-3 days of vacation time on top of the 3 days of riding. We regularly take Denver trips over driving to Vermont as it is shorter travel for us.

I doubt this will grow to the size of SF or even the Midwest meet but a core group of 8-10 local and traveling riders could make it nice.

For anyone that is interested I will be at Beaver Creek 2/28 - 3/6 if you want to connect. One warning is that I am traveling with my kids as a single Dad this year since my wife cannot join us so all riding will be family cruising (mostly blues and glades if I know my kids) but still fun.
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                Getting to Reno is tough. I would love to be able to attend SF but the air travel there is long and requires me to burn 2-3 days of vacation time on top of the 3 days of riding.
                FWIW Denver is a direct flight for me from the UK. A lot easier than getting to Reno. Don't think I shall be able to make a meet next year, but one never knows.
                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I'd be interested in Colorado 2017! I'm pretty booked up for 2016 with ShredFest, family ski trip to Utah, and lots of east coast mini trips. I'm looking forward to my first ShredFest this year and what Wookie says is definitely true - getting to Reno from the east coast is horrid. Most of my flight options were 2 stops, 12-13 hours of travel time one way, and high cost. I can get to Denver really easy though. So a big Colorado meet might provide an additional option for us east coasters to come west (ShredFest, WestFest, WeedFest)

Comment

I can't get vacation approved for Shredfest but do have March 18th through to the 21st 2016 free for a long weekend trip. I would consider Colorado if anyone else was going.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                      I can't get vacation approved for Shredfest but do have March 18th through to the 21st 2016 free for a long weekend trip. I would consider Colorado if anyone else was going.
                      Isn't that around spring break time? It could be crowded. I made the mistake of going to Breckenridge during spring break. It wasn't pretty.
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Maybe, but it's not my choice so I'll just have to make the most of it[emoji53]

Comment

Yes...interested. need to work the dates into 2016 schedule.
                          rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                          ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                            Originally posted by sempai View Post
                            Isn't that around spring break time? It could be crowded. I made the mistake of going to Breckenridge during spring break. It wasn't pretty.
                            This will be right at the end of Spring Break for the Dallas, Houston, and other Texas school districts which, in my experience, are the large Spring Break groups that overrun the Resorts on the I-70 corridor. For most other schools it's the start or a week ahead of their Spring Breaks. The Denver kids don't get Spring Break until the end of March.

You might want to avoid Vail and Breck as those are the most popular resorts for families. Also plan on getting up and getting on the mountains early. The last time I overlapped with Spring Breakers we noticed that the crowds don't hit the mountain until 11 or 12. Most are renting skis or joining lessons so they get going late. We would hit first chair at 8-8:30 get a few uncrowded hours of riding in, grab an early lunch, and then fight the building crowds and lift line until 1-2pm. Once the lines got too bad we headed to the hotel pool to relax or we would switch to lifts that served only more challenging terrain in the afternoon as many family Spring Breakers stayed to the Greens and Blues.
                            Boards:
                            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Very interested, but won't be able to make it work this season.

Aiming to get an Epic Pass and save up a travel budget for 2016-2017. Next season I'd be in for sure, as long as scheduling doesn't conflict with previously established events

Comment

Working...
                              X