WESTFEST 2016

The dates for Westfest 2016 are;

Four days of the greatest snow on earth

Friday January 29th 2016
    Saturday January 30th 2016
    Sunday January 31st 2016
    Monday February 1st 2016

Mark your calendars.

Westfest, now in it's third year, is a four day skiboarding festival based around the four Cottonwood resorts in Utah. The Sandy/Midvale area provides great lodging options with easy access to the Cottonwoods, as well as the Park City resorts, Snowbasin and even Brianhead. The schedule is flexible, so those with Epic, Mountain Collective or Powder Alliance passes can get their free days as well. Come join us for a great event.
    Just these, nothing else !

The Resorts (linked)

Alta Ski Area

Solitude Mountain Resort

Brighton Ski Resort

Snowbird

Comment

Lift Tickets

The Ski Salt Lake site offers a four day Superpass to the four resorts, for four days, for $304!. It also includes free transportation on the Salt lake Ski Bus, Trax System and City Buses. The Ski Bus savings total $38 making the average ticket price $66.50. The pass is very flexible and allows you to ski any resort on any day, great for powder chasing. It is good for the whole 2014/15 season but has to be used within fourteen days of activation.

Alternatively tickets are available on Liftopia for the following prices at the time of posting;

Alta $72
      Solitude $68
      Brighton $45
      Snowbird $57

Please note that these tickets do not include the Ski Bus cost and are non refundable. They are only good for the dates purchased and the resorts they are issued for, unless you pay extra.

Transportation

Salt lake City International Airport is serviced by all the major airlines with many direct flights. Southwest Airlines offers some great deals into Salt lake. They also allow two free bags. For example flights from Phoenix cost $144, round trip with two free bags.

There is a an airport shuttle that runs to most of the hotels and the City has an extensive Trax (light rail) and bus system.

The City also had a Ski Bus that services the four resorts from downton Salt Lake, Midvale and Sandy. You can catch the bus from many of the area hotels, the Traxx terminal or several Park and Ride locations. This enables you to stay without the need for a rental car. If you do rent a car you do not need 4X4 capability if you take the Ski Bus up the Cottonwood Canyons.

Lodging

There are many lodging options from budget motels to resort accommodation. The most convenient areas for the ski resorts are those of Midvale and Sandy, just south of Salt Lake City. These areas are only 30 minutes from the airport and all four resorts. There are plenty of restaurant, shopping and entertainment options in the area. The linked map shows the Ski Bus Route. Scroll down to the bottom left corner of the map to see the hotels serviced by the Ski Bus.

Comment

Count me in as a maybe.

This is the weekend after Midwest Meet, so I might not have enough vacation time and cash.

Comment

Question: Are the Park City resorts not included in this due to transportation, cost, crowds or time?

Comment

We did the Park City resorts the first year, but the terrain was a little limited due to the low snow. The Cottonwoods get significantly better conditions and always have enough terrain to make for a great event. We also found that the accommodations, and restaurants are much better value in Sandy. Comparing the two locations, the Cottonwoods works out about $300 cheaper for the four day weekend, and the skiing and conditions are better.

Having said that, we want to be flexible and accommodate everyone, so it would be easy to have a flex day for those who want to hit Park City or have free days on the Epic or Powder Alliance passes. Park City is only about 30 min from Sandy.

The original plan was to alternate between Park City and the Cottonwoods but we had so much fun last year and still have a lot of terrain to explore. We never even made it to Snowbird because the trees at Brighton were so good we went there for a second day.

Please come, we would love to see you.

Comment

That makes sense, thanks for the info! It looks like the trip would cost me more than $1k, so we'll see how things look as the time gets closer

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                That makes sense, thanks for the info! It looks like the trip would cost me more than $1k, so we'll see how things look as the time gets closer

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                The Superpass will be about $300 for four days, and that includes transportation from most hotels to the resorts. There are also airport shuttles, so you shouldn't need a rental car. We will have a car to run around in the evenings. If you book early and don't mind chain motels, you can find them as low as $50 a night in Sandy. If you don't mind sharing, that's even cheaper. That just leaves the flights. Southwest has $73 deals on sale into Salt Lake right now, but in not sure if they service your part of the world.

Comment

It looks like airfare for me will be at least $300 regardless of airline. I'll keep an eye on it!

Comment

maybe

Being in Denver now Im considering taking the train from Denber to SLC. amtrack is $63.00 and is supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides in the world.

Id like to know where people are staying, and who has room in there car to get me to and from the moutains.
                    33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      Being in Denver now Im considering taking the train from Denber to SLC. amtrack is $63.00 and is supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides in the world.

Id like to know where people are staying, and who has room in there car to get me to and from the moutains.
                      We would love to have you join us. We are planning on staying in the Sandy/Midvale area just south of Salt Lake City. The area has numerous motels and hotels to suit all budgets. So far we have bookings at The Hampton Inn and The Crystal Inn. If you do a search on Booking.com for Sandy UT you can see all the options.

We will have a few cars there, but may use the Ski Bus if conditions dictate. Needing to use the Ski Bus would be great as it means there is too much snow to get your car up the hill. The lift tickets include the Ski Bus both ways.

For those thinking about a rental car, there are some great deals right now. I just booked a midsize from Enterprise through Priceline for $12 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                        We would love to have you join us. We are planning on staying in the Sandy/Midvale area just south of Salt Lake City. The area has numerous motels and hotels to suit all budgets. So far we have bookings at The Hampton Inn and The Crystal Inn. If you do a search on Booking.com for Sandy UT you can see all the options.

We will have a few cars there, but may use the Ski Bus if conditions dictate. Needing to use the Ski Bus would be great as it means there is too much snow to get your car up the hill. The lift tickets include the Ski Bus both ways.

For those thinking about a rental car, there are some great deals right now. I just booked a midsize from Enterprise through Priceline for $12 a day.
                        What resorts are you riding? if i didn't have to buy lift tickets id book it right now!
                        33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          What resorts are you riding? if i didn't have to buy lift tickets id book it right now!
                          Our plan is to ride the four "Cottonwood" resorts. Those are Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude. These are all located in the Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons, traditionally the best snow in Utah. Last year we bought a "Superpass" from the Ski Salt Lake Tourist Board. This gives you access to all four resorts and the Ski Bus on one pass. Last year we paid $308 for four days of skiing. You can get the pass for more, or less days, to suit the length of your visit. We understand that some folks may have the Epic Pass and might like to hit Park City or The Canyons for a free day. It's only a forty minute drive from Sandy and we can still meet up for dinner later. If enough folks want a "flex" day we can build that into the schedule. The wife and I have free days at Snowbasin through The Powder Alliance as well. I think Alta/Bird is also covered by the Mountain Collective Pass?

There are links for all the resorts and info on hotels, passes and transportation in the first few posts of the thread.

Comment

That's the thing. I'd need to convince some of the boulder boys to come with me and split the cost, else it will be way to pricey for unemployed Zach to do alone:-/

Beautiful 48 days!
                            33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Cindy and I are looking into going to this and Shredfest this year . We really missed everyone and missed out on a lot and want to get out more this year, Cindy has her new job and can take time off easier. We may not be able to do all four days but at least a couple.
                              64 CM Bigfoot’s
                              100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                              110 CM Rockered Condors
                              130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Working...
                              X