NewSchoolers' hypocrisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewSchoolers' hypocrisy

It's not my intention to offend anyone at NS, but I thought I'd share this with you guys.

I'm pretty sure we're all aware of the fact that Skiboarding is being looked down on at NS. I've been reading quite a lot of topics regarding skiboarding at NS and the majority of people thinks skiboarding is "gay" or "retarded".

I was browsing the picture gallery at Newschoolers, more specifically the top rated section. Guess what's on the second picture:

http://www.newschoolers.com/web/cont...57684/cat/top/

Yes that's Shane McConkey on skiboards. He was one of the most respected skiers ever, a pioneer in freeskiing and base-jumping.

So now all of a sudden, just because Shane was riding them and now is dead, they show respect?
    2010 KTP
    2010Receptors
    2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

shane was riding those as a joke.
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

this is tru.e
      Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
      Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

I've been reading quite a lot of topics regarding skiboarding at NS and the majority of people thinks skiboarding is "gay" or "retarded".
        Wow...clearly very well thought out and logical arguments. They convinced me! I guess I'll give away my BWPs and Revolts for free so I can stop being retarded and be super cool like them...anyone interested?

(note: sarcasm)
        2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
        2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

ya Shane McConkey when in that gear was known as Saucer Boy and picked on by the other skiiers in the movies he show's up in.

Anyway don't listen to their BS.. just do what you want and ride what you want.
          Mike W.

00-Line Mike Nick Pro 98cm w/ Line FF Pro Bindings
          Canon M7's (black) w/ groove bindings

Comment

Yeah, saucer boy is of the same mindset as all the NSers pulling out skiboards for "gaper day". It actually falls directly in line with the standard NS mentality. As much as I respect Shane for all he did in the ski world, I'm not sure if he would have shared that respect with me.
            I do it because I can.
            I can because I want to.
            I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
            '08 KTPs

Comment

You know, it has always been pleasing to me that folks on this forum DONT rubbish other snowsports. Sure, there are forums out there where the respondents are constantly trying to build each other up by dissing other forms of snowsport, but thankfully this is not one of them. Good job guys, there is room for all...........
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                Good job guys, there is room for all...........
                Absolutely. In fact, after this weekend my views were changed even further. I rode the Armada JJ's this weekend, and learned that while skiboarders are worried about blurring the lines into skiing, skis are beginning to blur the lines into skiboarding.

The JJ's have a lower turn radius than most skis, about the same contact length on hardpack as the Sherpas, and rockered tips and tails for that extra float in pow. These things didn't ride like the Seth's I was on 2 weeks ago, or any skis I have ever been on. At the same time, they didn't ride quite like skiboards. They only way that I can really sort it out in my mind is that the JJ's are to the Sherpas what the Sherpas are to something like the BWPs. When you start considering the difference in feel and performance, it is pretty big, but when you get to the heart of how you feel when you ride, at the core they are similar.

Another major key to me in terms of the skiboard/ski division is the need of poles. On my Sherpas, I can ski moguls without poles smoothly. On the Seth's, it was a difficult endeavor to even make it down. So with the JJ's, I decided to really go to the dark side and try poles. I was riding VW sized bumps down a 35-40 degree slope straight down the fall line, and not having a hard time, but the key was in the timing and initiation that the poles helped with. As I had discovered last week, the feel of powder on skiboards was different than the feel on skis, and this weekend I learned the same is true for moguls. Skiboards make them easier in that you can make quicker snap turns and correct for mistakes quickly. Skis, assuming you are in the right rhythm and such, mellow out the feel and make the bumps a little less harsh feeling.

Whatever you ride is fine with me, especially now that I am learning that different tools have their different purposes. Ride whatever you like on the snow. I love my skiboards, and now that I decided to open my mind a bit, am learning to love skiing too. Choosing what to ride is like picking between a pen and a pencil. They have their strengths and weaknesses, have different feels, but in the end they get the same job done.
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.
                I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                  You know, it has always been pleasing to me that folks on this forum DONT rubbish other snowsports. Sure, there are forums out there where the respondents are constantly trying to build each other up by dissing other forms of snowsport, but thankfully this is not one of them. Good job guys, there is room for all...........
                  Yeah Valmorel, that's true. I'm always glad to read threads over here, when I've been browsing NS!
                  2010 KTP
                  2010Receptors
                  2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

Comment

Working...
                  X