No announcement yet.

rockered skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

id love to see a specific pow/backcountry board pop up in the '10 skiboards.

Search & Win

Comment

Flex is important too. The kind of board you are talking about would need to have a soft flex to allow it to camber out in pow, but at the same time be torsionally stiff to prevent it diving around through twist. Those of you that have known me for some time will know I HATE highly cambered boards. My original 120s and, even more so, my Summit 110s have both sacked out over time to around 4mm camber for the 120, and about 2mm for the 110. Both boards just got better and better as the camber dropped away. Zero or negative camber? Its a simple equation really. On groomers, as the camber reduces, so does directional stability.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

To make it short, there will never be a skiboard that will be the ideal board for everone and all conditions. For me, I have yet to run into conditions that the Sherpas didn't excell in, but smaller people will have a hard time getting them to flex right in carves and such. That being said, I am not sure if the skiboard industry has grown enough yet to cater to such specific boards. There are absolutely tons of skiers out there that spend 90% of their time riding powder and the backcountry and can justify the cost of paying for some powder specific skis. Now in the skiboarding community I only know of about 15-20 riders on these forums that even have the chance ride powder frequently (and by powder I mean piles that you can't find the bottom of, not 6 inches of fresh on top of corduroy). These are the only riders that would really benefit from having such specific powder boards. I think if I were looking for some kind of absurd powder board other than the Sherpas that I would want at least 120cm, disgustingly wide (19/14/19ish maybe?), Zero camber for about 3/4 of the length, and a little bit of rocker at the tips. The zero camber would need to be fairly stiff (I'd personally say 08 KTP stiffness, but the soft tips and tails would help to smooth out the ride a bit) to keep a good solid contact with the ground, and then a gradual softening through the rest of the boards. This would give the running length of about a 90cm board on the harder stuff but would still give plenty of float. The rockered tips and tails would be off the ground so they still might have the feel of 100cm boards since that is all the contact length. If there is enough interest in boards like this that someone would like to produce them (which basically means Jeff or G), I would be more than happy to work with you in designing them. I can work out CAD models when I have some spare time to give a better idea of exactly what I am talking about.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
          . That being said, I am not sure if the skiboard industry has grown enough yet to cater to such specific boards. ... If there is enough interest in boards like this that someone would like to produce them (which basically means Jeff or G), .
          I am constantly amazed that we have the range of boards we have in such a niche market . Thank god that Jeff and G are in business at all given how small their sales must be compared to skis and snowboards . Like Skafreak, I also have great doubts whether a project to produce a pow specific skiboard would make any economic sense at all ....
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Wow, that's certainly an intriguing sounding board Ska.

I need to ride.
            Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
            Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

So wait, before we let this thread die, are we being heard?
              XsXeX
              Riding Condors
              This bird couldnt fly if it was drunk

Comment

I am sure that you are being heard. The bigger question is will anything come of it. Patience....
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.
                I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                '08 KTPs

Comment

Patience & Wisdom
                  Photobucket
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                  X