Website (layout) for my portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website (layout) for my portfolio

I didn't want to jack Jason's thread so I made this one. I understand that some of you may not like this but this is my style of art and I may actually post this at some time because companies like Microsoft (for Zune) won't even look at your artwork with out a portfolio website. Here is what I have right now...there will be more tossed into this over the next few months but I have a basic idea of what I want to do. I understand that everything is accented as important...that is part of the design, I am trying to go against conventions with that. Toss out some comments if you would like, I would especially like to hear from Dave, Greco, and Roussel or any other web design guys. Thanks guys. Right click and view image for full size.

Photobucket
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

I'm no pro but it looks fairly nice to me.
    The text at the bottom about pricing looks bad.
    Also, it's pretty busy...
    Don't get me wrong, much better than anything I could do.
    Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
    Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Originally posted by nate View Post
      I'm no pro but it looks fairly nice to me.
      The text at the bottom about pricing looks bad.
      Also, it's pretty busy...
      Don't get me wrong, much better than anything I could do.
      Thanks man, good job using the compliment sandwich approach, I like that. I will look into a different way to make the font more readable, I bet you are talking about the stroke looking bad if I am correct?
      Revel8 ALPdors
      Gold Revel8 Receptors
      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
      ____
      If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

if you are open to a "real" critique by other designers you should post it at these forums http://forums.freelanceswitch.com/

There is a difference between design and art... you need to really figure out which direction you are going.

Art can exist in a vaccuum, that is, with no specific purpose.

Design must always serve a purpose.

If your purpose in this case is to showcase your abilities in order to land more work or a potential job, then you have missed the mark.

definitely post it up on the forum i mentioned above and see what they have to say - I'm headed out the door right now to a poker tournament :-)
        Dave | Elevendy

Comment

Originally posted by dcox20 View Post
          if you are open to a "real" critique by other designers you should post it at these forums http://forums.freelanceswitch.com/

There is a difference between design and art... you need to really figure out which direction you are going.

Art can exist in a vaccuum, that is, with no specific purpose.

Design must always serve a purpose.

If your purpose in this case is to showcase your abilities in order to land more work or a potential job, then you have missed the mark.

definitely post it up on the forum i mentioned above and see what they have to say - I'm headed out the door right now to a poker tournament :-)
          Thanks man, maybe I should stick with what I am good at and leave layout to someone else. haha. I have never taken any layout classes so I was just trying to toss tons of art into the layout. I appreciate your honesty with my missing the mark. Gook luck making some cash at that tourny, and once again thanks.
          Revel8 ALPdors
          Gold Revel8 Receptors
          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
          ____

Comment

Im not sure exactly what you're saying, but the black on red with somehow white thrown too makes it hard to read. Plus it seems cut off at either side.
            As far as the busyness, you have half a dozen different background patters on just one page. That's overkill in my opinion.
            The "If you want it made I can make it" thing is cool, but hard to read sideways. I didn't even notice it was words at first, and when I did I had to turn my head and take a moment to figure it out.
            Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
            Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

I've had a lot of classes dealing with layout. I'm currently in a class where we're developing online portfolios.

If I were you I'd consider greatly simplifying your website. If the goal of the web site is to present work, you don't want the website to take away from your work. I'd go with a more simple, much less busy design. You want to create emphasis on the work. The layout is cool and has that grunge look going but it's far too busy.

I would also recommend you drop the name "God of Media". Professionals are going to have a hard time taking that seriously. I would go with your real name only and I would make the site navigation a bigger part in your sites hierarchy.

Another thing I would pay a lot attention to is the length of your pages. I'll tell you straight out, that's a long page. I'm not going to attempt to read all of that. Long content heavy pages are difficult to read. The GOM titled images also make the page way too busy.

I'd like to see a more simplified template. Post up revisions once you make them. I'd be happy to check them out. Good luck.

Edit: Also, limit yourself to a maximum of 2 - 3 font styles. You have way too many font faces going on at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                I've had a lot of classes dealing with layout. I'm currently in a class where we're developing online portfolios.

If I were you I'd consider greatly simplifying your website. If the goal of the web site is to present work, you don't want the website to take away from your work. I'd go with a more simple, much less busy design. You want to create emphasis on the work. The layout is cool and has that grunge look going but it's far too busy.

I would also recommend you drop the name "God of Media". Professionals are going to have a hard time taking that seriously. I would go with your real name only and I would make the site navigation a bigger part in your sites hierarchy.

Another thing I would pay a lot attention to is the length of your pages. I'll tell you straight out, that's a long page. I'm not going to attempt to read all of that. Long content heavy pages are difficult to read. The GOM titled images also make the page way too busy.

I'd like to see a more simplified template. Post up revisions once you make them. I'd be happy to check them out. Good luck.

Edit: Also, limit yourself to a maximum of 2 - 3 font styles. You have way too many font faces going on at the moment.
                Great advice, I will be doing some revisions and will post them up here in the next few weeks.
                Revel8 ALPdors
                Gold Revel8 Receptors
                Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                ____

Comment

I'm not sure what kinds of work you are going for, but the a's in the "if you want it made I can make it" bear quite the striking resemblance to the anarchy logo. It's not quite the same as the middle line of the a doesn't extend out to the circle, but if it's close enough people can easily mistake it. In some business today it wouldn't be a problem at all, but if you're looking for more professional work then it might not be a bad idea to change the font.
                  I do it because I can.
                  I can because I want to.
                  I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                  '08 KTPs

Comment

i think dave hit the nail right on the head. decide if you're making art or designing a website with a purpose. if your making art then forget any criticisms or suggestions. art is art. it's you creating what you want for yourself. on the other hand if you're trying to make a website design to attract potential customers, that's a different story and you've gotten some great suggestions already.

g

Comment

oh and you know Howard Stern is known as "King of all Media" right?
                      Last edited by Greco; 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                        oh and you know Howard Stern is know as "King of all Media" right?
                        heh heh...if you say so...I think he is a bit over rated.

I just realized that that website that I posted was more of art. This is due to having to use every technique that we learned in our class for this accumulative project. I am making a new one with purpose and am taking the suggestions you guys and doing that, It is still artistic and uses some of the same graphics for example the top banner with the folders but I am taking tons of detail out. I should have a basic idea up later tonight.
                        Revel8 ALPdors
                        Gold Revel8 Receptors
                        Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                          heh heh...if you say so...I think he is a bit over rated.

it's not my name for him. but the first thing i thought of when i read your title when you joined.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                            it's not my name for him. but the first thing i thought of when i read your title when you joined.
                            thanks, just so you know, I am not that arrogant to think that I am the greatest, its just a name.
                            Revel8 ALPdors
                            Gold Revel8 Receptors
                            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                            ____

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                              thanks, just so you know, I am not that arrogant to think that I am the greatest, its just a name.
                              sure but we're just thinking about the potential customers who might not know you as well as we do

g

Comment

Working...
                              X