Re: Wwwweeeeeeedddd

Originally posted by Davelynam
      cheeba is now leagal in NH as long as you have under 1/4 of an ounce
      oh snap....nuts

Comment

http://www.theagitator.com/2008/03/1...zes-marijuana/

Tuesday, March 18th, 2008

Sort of.

New Hampshire residents could possess one-quarter ounce or less of marijuana without facing jail under a bill headed to the state Senate.

The House voted 193-141 Tuesday to decriminalize the small amount of the drug, making possessing it a violation subject to a $200 fine. Under current law, possessing that amount could mean spending a year in jail and paying a $2,000 fine.

Supporters argued current law costs youths who experiment with the drug all chances at receiving financial aid to attend college. They said it wasn’t fair to penalize them for life for a youthful mistake.

Windham Republican Jason Bedrick said he doesn’t advocate using marijuana, but that wasn’t the issue.

“The question is whether a teenager making a stupid decision should face a year in prison and loss of all funding for college,” said Bedrick.

That’s certainly a better approach than Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, who despite admitting he smoked marijuana himself when he was younger now says, “I feel that our laws are good in Florida. They were thoughtfully put in place.”

Amazing how ready these politicians are to throw someone’s future away for the same choices they themselves made at the same age.

(I’m also not sure how that statement applies to Crist’s acknowledgment that the drug laws failed in Richard Paey’s case.)

Getting back to New Hampshire, not everyone is happy:

Whitefield Republican John Tholl, police chief in Dalton, said reducing the penalty in the selective circumstance to little more than a parking ticket could lead to trouble for youths confused by the law’s distinctions between possession, transporting and sale.

“The controlled drug statute is complex and involved,” he said.

“For example, if someone has a quarter ounce in his possession and gives some to a buddy, he can be arrested and charged for sale and a felony,” said Tholl. “If we send a message to young people that a quarter ounce is not big deal, they’re going to ignore the potential problems coming.

Well here’s a crazy idea. Why not show some discretion, then, and not arrest and charge that kid in the first place? If he’s sharing a quarter ounce with his buddy, he’s pretty clearly not a major dealer, right?
        Digg it | reddit | del.icio.us | Fark

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 18th, 2008 at 9:45 pm by Radley Balko and is filed under General Drug War. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
        13 Responses to “New Hampshire House Decriminalizes Marijuana”

1. #1 | ZappaCrappa | March 18th, 2008 at 10:22 pm

It’s a start.

“For example, if someone has a quarter ounce in his possession and gives some to a buddy, he can be arrested and charged for sale and a felony,” said Tholl. ”

LOL…only a politician can equate “give” to = “sale” So the next time Whitefield Republican John Tholl, police chief in Dalton’s wife “gives” him a piece…let’s arrest her for prostitution and him for soliticitation….its the same premise….right?

Comment

don't get too excited...

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs....PAGE/803190305

But if you moved to VT...

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7947638

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.cap

But if you moved to VT...

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7947638 [/B]
            hmmmm well if im gunna spend the next 4 years of my life there...

Comment

Well, at least you hope it will only be four.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.cap
                Well, at least you hope it will only be four.

hahahahahaha
                you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

Here in Denver I think it's the same way, but there is state law that forbids it. So it's city law against state law. Also, Denver passed a bill making pot the lowest priority to cops, but it still doesn't stop those cops from busting us.
                  Always on the brink of success or insanity!

Comment

Unfortunately Fed law trumps any state or local laws. So if the Fed wants something done about it, it can enforce.

Comment

Barney Frank To File Bill Legalizing Marijuana

Rep. Barney Frank said he plans to file a bill to legalize “small amounts” of marijuana.

Frank announced his plans late Friday on the HBO show “Real Time,” hosted by Bill Maher.

“I’m going to file a bill as soon as we go back to remove all federal penalties for the possession or use of small amounts of marijuana,” Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat, told Maher.

Frank didn’t define “small amounts.” Efforts to reach Frank on Saturday were not immediately successful.

Frank said he’d filed a similar bill in the Massachusetts Legislature in the 1970s, but hasn’t tried since he was elected to Congress.

“I finally got to the point where I think I can get away with it,” he said.

Frank said he thinks “its time for the politicians in this one to catch up to the public. The notion that you lock people up for smoking marijuana is pretty silly.”

I am totally for legalization of marijuana, but I have to differ with Frank on this: to think that at this time with this administration that you could get away with a bill legalizing pot actually is what sounds silly.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/0...ing-marijuana/

Comment

my .02

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Working...
                        X