Snow Sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Sighting

The Whitefish Montana summit webcam is showing recent snowfalls.

Edit: that partial snow cover lasted about 3 days and it's long gone now. But, it was exciting to see.

Whitefish is having another preseason dusting. This one looks a little heavier than the first one.
    https://skiwhitefish.com/webcams/

Comment

The snow hit here on Monday. It's a winter wonderland at my house, and it might not melt out until spring now - I had continuous snow on the ground from November 1st till mid April last year, and that was a dry season.

The Horse says they have a 24 cm base right now:
      https://kickinghorseresort.com/conditions/mountain-cam/

Are you based out of Montana, shortydude?
      BOARDSLAYER
      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post

Are you based out of Montana, shortydude?
        I'm hoping to retire there.

Comment

Whitefish is pretty close to some of the southeast BC resorts like Fernie and Kimberly... and there are skiboarders in that area. I'm a little further from that area but it's not a bad drive. Good excuse for some future meetups. ^^
          BOARDSLAYER
          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Mt Rose outside of Reno is making snow.
            https://skirose.com/the-mountain-web-cams/

Comment

The Horse is calling opening day on December 8. They need a lot more snow, but here's hoping!
              BOARDSLAYER
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Vail, Co is opening this Friday 11/10/23.
                https://www.vail.com

edit: looks like Breckenridge is gonna open on Friday too.

edit: looks like the Tahoe resorts are opening either this Friday or next Friday 11/17.

Comment

Anchorage, Alaska is facing its snowiest November ever, with just under 38 inches of snow in just nine days.1 The area's largest storm system of the season took place last Wednesday and Thursday, and parts of Anchorage saw around 18 inches of snow. This week, a second storm system "exacerbated" an already miserable situation in the city. Anchorage Mayor Dave Bronson declared a snow emergency for the city on Thursday, and it is set to remain in effect through Friday evening.0 The November snowfall record in Anchorage, at least since 1953 when record-keeping began, is 38.8 inches, which fell in 1994.2 The storms caused prolonged power outages, closed Anchorage schools every day this week, and left roads difficult to navigate or impassable in places.3 Anchorage scrambled to come up with more temporary housing for the homeless after back-to-back snowstorms dumped more than three feet of snow on the city in just nine days, an amount that is high even by Alaska standards.

Comment

Kicking Horse is open! There's a bit of good powder at the top (with a chance of hitting stumps under there); the bottom half was a all-you-can-stomach death cookie buffet with a nice smattering of rocks. Most lower mountain runs haven't had a cat or many tracks on them so it's just brush and rocks with a bit of snow on top - technically open but not recommended. Big slides nearly to ground in the alpine, where ski patrol has been bombing, so a lot of the double-black terrain isn't open yet.

Got 5 cm overnight so the few groomed runs should be improved today!

My evil plan to make Kicking Horse the skiboard capital of Canada is progressing... dropped my battered old Spliffs off for a full grind and tuning last night at the on-hill ski shop, and one of the guys there approached me to ask about how to get some skiboards for their demo / rental fleet. He's ridden with me before, so he's seen what they are capable of (and specifically called them skiboards). ^^ The shop got some K2 blades this season but wants something more serious. The past few seasons they've had monoskis available for rent, so they're all about the interesting rides.

I gave him a card and told him to come try some different models out... hopefully this turns into a fleet of RVL8 rentals waiting at the bottom for everyone who I chat about skiboards with on the gondola. Since they're a bit too short for the gear racks on the gondy, I always bring them in the cab with me, and get lots of questions. I've had a few people say they'd try them if rentals were available.
                    BOARDSLAYER
                    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Thanks for spreading the word!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X