Entering the "traditional" ski lifestyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering the "traditional" ski lifestyle

Well, not really entering the lifestyle, just more of a trial run. Since coming across this group years ago i have seemed to try every skiboard across the platform. While they all had there ups and downs I ended up on the Sherpas and thought... just WOW. Hell, I still do, every single time I step on them. I love them and for me, they are the best.

Since switching to the Sherpas i discovered that the biggest advantage for me was the added stability. With stability came speed, and confidence. Last year I was at the event in Killington and ended up on some really skitchy runs that were super steep and extremely hardpacked. I will not say icy (I live in PA... I know what ice is lol) but others would describe it that way. I never thought I'd feel unstable with the sherpas, but this run was the first time that I really felt I pushed the limit on them. They were great that day. They kept me up, but it pushed me past my comfort level. While this was happening, all around me were people just cruising on skis. I never really gave it much thought to try traditional skis until that point but that started the itch. Came home from the event and continued skiing at my local mountain with my normal group of skiers/boarders/skiboarders and finished the year off great. However the whole time seeming to think more about trying regular skis. Looking at them, checking them out online, etc. On a wonderful skiboarding day towards the end of the season i was skiing with 2 guys from the group that are hard chargers and just go. They love the skiboards i use but are traditional skiers. i spend the one whole morning with them lapping the doubles at our mountain and had a blast but the one thing I noticed is that they seemed to do them easier, quicker, more stable, etc.

The idea of traditional skis stayed with me thru the spring, summer, fall, even talked about it with a few of my golf buddies who ski. I have only been out twice this year so far as we have not had great weather/opportunities yet but couldn't get skis out of my head. I decided about a week ago that i was gonna go for it. I took the slow work week opportunity to take a deep dive into the ski market via internet/youtube/forums/conversations and narrowed down what I was looking for. Long story short I was looking for a mid 160's ski with a shorter turn radius, 100ish wide (I'm fat), with a lighter swingweight (to keep the skiboardish feel). After looking, and looking, and looking.... and looking, I got an ebay notification about a new listing that fit the bill. Opened the app and purchased immediately. 2017 pair of 164cm Rossignol Soul 7HD. They are everything I was looking for and then some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ski.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	265328

One issue with the skis I had before they even arrive(should be shipping today) was the bricks of bindings attached to them. After shopping eBay, marketplace, Mercari I ended up finding a pair of 2021/2022 Salomon bindings on sale for 60% off and then another 15% for registering my email and creating an account. Purchased them last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bindings.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	265329

I just wanted to post this on here because one thing i have learned is that as much as I love the Facebook group, this forum is filled with more level headed and open minded individuals. I am hoping that the skis and bindings get here by the weekend so that i can get everything mounted and ready to roll for the drop in temps and snowmaking that will begin this weekend and continue hopefully moving forward. i don't know what i am actually going to get with trying traditional skis, but what I'm hoping for is the same feeling that i had when switching from the 110cm DLP to the 130cm Sherpa. We will see and I will give updates.

I will always be a skiboarder because well frankly it is awesome, but I do what to give skis a chance.

Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

My own feeling is that modern skis are just long skiboards !! If you study the history of the development of the current twin tip skis and the history of Line skis and the history of the X games you will see that skiboards were first with the widebodied twin tip short turn radius design and that modern skis are a direct descendant of those early designs . I even see skiers on long skis skiing without poles at the resort and in the park just like skiboarders. I think we all move up and down the line of length and find our sweet spot . I know I have . For me I have gravitated toward the 110 length super wide bodied boards as my sweet spot but everyone will find their own best spot . Let us know how your journey into the long ski world goes ! By the way I just posted a review of the Spruce Stinger and the Condors which kind of discusses how the different length boards appeal to me and in what ways. As we move up the length of our skiboards/skis there is a trade off between stability and playfulness and manuervability and where we fall on that spectrum will be very individual and to some extent will depend on who we ride with and what kind of terrain and conditions we most enjoy.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
      My own feeling is that modern skis are just long skiboards !! If you study the history of the development of the current twin tip skis and the history of Line skis and the history of the X games you will see that skiboards were first with the widebodied twin tip short turn radius design and that modern skis are a direct descendant of those early designs . I even see skiers on long skis skiing without poles at the resort and in the park just like skiboarders. I think we all move up and down the line of length and find our sweet spot . I know I have . For me I have gravitated toward the 110 length super wide bodied boards as my sweet spot but everyone will find their own best spot . Let us know how your journey into the long ski world goes ! By the way I just posted a review of the Spruce Stinger and the Condors which kind of discusses how the different length boards appeal to me and in what ways. As we move up the length of our skiboards/skis there is a trade off between stability and playfulness and manuervability and where we fall on that spectrum will be very individual and to some extent will depend on who we ride with and what kind of terrain and conditions we most enjoy.
      Thanks Jack. I am the abnormal one where I actually feel no difference in playfulness or maneuverability switching from the DLPs to the Sherpas. I'm a big guy and my legs are stupid strong so I think my body and build played a huge part in that
      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Congrats on finding some new sticks that inspire you! We're all on a journey and I appreciate your ability to express & communicate yours. 2 people come to mind that previously been down this same road, FightingForAir and BlueWing I think may have fully transitioned. If you search for their posts you may find some confirmation and validation. I've got an old pair of 154cm SS capped Volant Chubbs with wild sidecuts that in spite of being ridiculously heavy I hang onto them for the cool factor.

I'm curious what kind turning radius' you found in new long skis? Are they into the low teens or single digits yet?

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
          Congrats on finding some new sticks that inspire you! We're all on a journey and I appreciate your ability to express & communicate yours. 2 people come to mind that previously been down this same road, FightingForAir and BlueWing I think may have fully transitioned. If you search for their posts you may find some confirmation and validation. I've got an old pair of 154cm SS capped Volant Chubbs with wild sidecuts that in spite of being ridiculously heavy I hang onto them for the cool factor.

I'm curious what kind turning radius' you found in new long skis? Are they into the low teens or single digits yet?
          Hey buddy, I’m excited to try something different. Don’t know if I Will completely transition, don’t really plan on it as I love my Sherpas and all the other boards I have. The turning radius for them are 17 at 180cm so for 164 with my weight and compression (math in my head) I’m looking probably 14ish. Hoping to find some enjoyment in them and hope it’s not a huge failure.

we will see…

Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
          2012 Salomon SPK 90
          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

All of the notifications came thru today... everything will be delivered this weekend starting Friday. Crossing my fingers that everything gets pushed to Saturday so that it all arrives when my wife is working lol
            Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
            2012 Salomon SPK 90
            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

It's always nice to experiment! In my case I have actually switched to skis twice, albeit for a short while. I found that my first skiboards, the Eman Uprise 104, were a bit short for me. Then I got some Armada Pipe Cleaners (181 I believe), pretty stiff skis which were super stable on jumps, but lacked all the playfullness, so I switched back to skiboards. Then after a few years I switched to DLP's, which are a lot more stable (crazy how much difference that 6 cm made). Then last I year I was curious to try long-ish skis again. This time I got a lot shorter skis, K2 Sight 159 (also a radius of around 14ish meters I believe), but still they were a bit too stable and not playful enough for me, So I ended up using them a few times at the indoor slope and only the first morning on my skiing holiday in the Alps. I had fully adjusted to them by then technique-wise, but when I switched back to my DLP's I got an immediate smile on my face and ended up having waaay more fun (even though conditions were pretty bad in the afternoon)! I am still curious to try the skiboard sizes inbetween one day and for now I'm convinced that I'm a real skiboarder. Of course everyone has their own preference! Weight and strength matters as well. At 187 cm and 74 kg (6'2", 163 lbs), I'm more the tall skinny guy, so that's quite different. I'm very curious to hear from your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruben View Post
                I am still curious to try the skiboard sizes inbetween one day and for now I'm convinced that I'm a real skiboarder.
                You should come visit down here in the Pyrenees (when the snow is better). I have a good collection of skiboards to try out.

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

You should come visit down here in the Pyrenees (when the snow is better). I have a good collection of skiboards to try out.
                  Id love to come visit. I have a good collection as well. More than my signature depicts.
                  Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                  2012 Salomon SPK 90
                  2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

I would love to as well. This year is a bit difficult (both with snow conditions and my uni schedule), but the Pyrenees are definately on my bucket list to visit and of course I won't skip you when I'll be there one day!

Comment

Well, I have to do it. Here's an update after getting on them...

I LOVE THEM. I don't know what to say except the stability, control, they are great. I see myself using them a lot. The Sherpas have moved from the gamers to the backup bag (golf terms)
                      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                      2012 Salomon SPK 90
                      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
                        Well, I have to do it. Here's an update after getting on them...

I LOVE THEM.
                        Oh no! We've lost another one...shame...shame. Ba-bye!

Boards/Bindings:
                        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                          Oh no! We've lost another one...shame...shame. Ba-bye!
                          Oh yes, the list goes on ... very enthusiastic skiboarders active on the forum like Bluewing and Fighting for Air , gone to the long skis, even skiboard rider pros like Ben Wannamaker.(He became a pro skier)
                          I was worried about you Sempai when you showed up with long skis at Mt Rose . What caused you to stay with skiboards ?
                          For me I went the other way from life long skiing on long skis to skiboards , then to longboard skiboards ,and then experimenting again with modern long skis , and now back down to 110 and below skiboards. I am willing to sacrifice the stability for the sporty feel of the shorter skiboards.
                          Boards :
                          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                          Boots
                          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                          Bindings:
                          Zero Pro Non release Binding
                          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                            I was worried about you Sempai when you showed up with long skis at Mt Rose . What caused you to stay with skiboards ?
                            The added stability and speed of skis was nice, but to me skis weren't fun. I missed the playfulness of shorties. I can go plenty fast on skiboards. As I age, I care less and less about speed. As for stability, I have pretty good balance from years of skating. Stability on skiboards has never been an issue for me.

We are all different. I know, thank you captain obvious. If someone prefers skis, more power to them. I really don't care what others do. My reply to Mike's post was in jest. I'm glad he is happy with his new toys.

Boards/Bindings:
                            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Thanks for the "love" guys lol.

you haven't lost me. I still have a quiver and will still represent on Sherpas. Last season at the meet up we had conditions that were tough. hard pack icy that is common to the East coast but for some reason I was having a hard time that day. conditions mixed with the boot issues I was having, there are numerous other pieces to the puzzle but long story short is on the one double (that i didn't mean to go on) i really pushed the Sherpas past a point I never have before. While they did great, and continue to do so, i didn't like the feeling of needing a bit more. Ever since I had the itch of skis so I finally bit the Bullets (see what i did there... line bullets) and jumped on an amazing deal for my new to me skis. i got a new sense of riding yesterday when i wasn't worried about what was in front of my tips (ice, crud, death cookies, etc) and rode with the freedom to look at the trail in front of me and not under me. It was honestly the first time in forever that has ever happened to me and I really enjoyed that.
                              Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                              2012 Salomon SPK 90
                              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Working...
                              X