Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shortydude
    replied
    I'm sold on the crash pants and back protector.

I slipped and fell just walking along in my boots and fell on my hip. It didn't hurt at all.

The first day at Deer Valley I overdid it and got too tired. The last run down was a long steep blue. My leg's started really burning and tried to stop & rest half way down (big mistake). I wiped out and slid at least 50 yards. Both Sherpa's came off. I was able to grab one of them and was able to use the brake on it to arrest my slide. A kind sole stopped and brought the other Sherpa down to me. I was still 50 yards from the bottom of the steep and slid down on my buttt (can I say buttt?) to the next flat spot to put my skis back on. I was very glad I had the back protector on for that fall and slide. Again, no adverse affects (except a little hurt pride).

The back protector I have is a bit big and I have to pack it in my ski bag. But, overall it's a keeper.

Leave a comment:

• Mec78
    replied
    I use wrist guards too.

Leave a comment:

• shortydude
    replied
    I've worn my back protector 2 days skiing so far. The only downside was that extra inch or so at the top of it made taking my small backpack and jacket off a bit more troublesome. It's no big deal, certainly not a show stopper.

I also tried a pair of crash pants with built in hip & tailbone pads. I put them on over my thermals which allowed the crashpants to keep working their way down till they were stopped by the crotch of my ski pants. I've since added a couple of 1" plastic buckles to fasten the crashpants to the back protector waist belt. I'll be testing this setup in a week from now in Park City, Sundance and Deer Valley.

Leave a comment:

• Steeps
    replied
    I've been curious about back protection too... mostly in the context of smashing my spine on a rock. I've heard different opinions on them, especially about comfort. Let me know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Ruben
    replied
    Originally posted by shortydude View Post
    It's a vest with the hard armadillo type pads, but doesn't have much tailbone protection that I could see. I'll still keep on the lookout for a gel foam protector with a tailbone section which will probably be 3 times the money.
    In my case I also use a pair of crashpants for my tailbone (my snowboarding brother has a pair too). It also provides some hip protection, which makes it also a bit more comfortable to fall (especially on hard/icy snow.

Leave a comment:

• shortydude
    replied
    Ruben, thanks for the reply. It's reassuring to hear that others are thinking the same thing. I just bought a decent one on fleabay with a BIN option. It's a New Old Stock item that was pretty cheap ($67) compared to a current model. It's not exactly what I wanted, but it should work. It's a vest with the hard armadillo type pads, but doesn't have much tailbone protection that I could see. I'll still keep on the lookout for a gel foam protector with a tailbone section which will probably be 3 times the money.

Leave a comment:

• Ruben
    replied
    I use a backprotector for skiboarding and my brother uses one for snowboarding. I also have a fair amount of other snowboarding friends who use them. There are specific backprotectors for skiing/snowboarding, so you could look into those. Mine is just a simple impact foam thing with just 1 bendable plate on your back (here is a link for reference: https://www.decathlon.nl/p/rugbesche...211?mc=8400577). My brother has one with semi-overlapping shells which are pushed into each other when you bend too far backwards to prevent more back injury. I find that one a bit nicer than mine, but it has maybe a bit less impact absorption. That can of course vary per model though.

I also find that they are not really in the way while skiing. I never had any irritations or movement restrictions because I was wearing a backprotector. They are only a bit clumsy when changing clothing layers and such, but nothing major.

Leave a comment:

• shortydude
    started a topic Back Protectors

Back Protectors

Any suggestions on using a back protector or brace while skiing? As I get older my back seems to get strained easier. I can stabilize it pretty good with a wide black elastic back support. But, I've been thinking about trying a hard or impact gel back protector like a motocross rider might use. Helmet protection for your back. I think it might help with confidence, and not be so apprehensive about falling.

Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone here uses a back protector when skiing and if you have a favorite type/brand/model.
Working...
X