Dismal Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismal Season

I hope everyone's season was better than mine.

My only day riding this season was yesterday and the local resorts are closing after today. With only online ticket sales in limited quantities, it was near impossible to get out. And with a two week quarantine upon return if travelling outside our province, we had to cancel our Banff trip last month.

But it was a great day yesterday with a blue sky, no wind and temps just above freezing. I am looking forward to next season, and hopefully no restrictions.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

. Sorry to hear that ,Slow . ps Liz and I miss riding with you. and Maria ! Much better in Tahoe Ski areas have been open all season some with reservation systems , otherwise limiting crowds by parking controls but still big crowds at ski areas as it was one of the sports allowed despite covid restrictions , Backcountry has also been busy this year with many more folks venturing out (albeit some without much safety knowledgeeL) Snow has been only fair with about 60 percent or so of normal snow fall but enough to have fun , Ski resorts will close mid to end of April but looks like backcountry will last until May.
    Hopefully we can get Shredfest going next season . Are you planning on coming out in 2022?
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

That is our hope. It would be fun to ride with everyone again.
      Enjoy the rest of your season Jack (and Liz).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Hey Slow,

Glad you were able to have a great day yesterday. We got out for the first time last week. We took a trip up to the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. We went to four different hills, Nubs Nob, Crystal Mountain, Boyne Mountain, and Boyne Highlands. We had never been to any of these places before. Conditions were pretty dismal because they had just had a couple weeks of warm weather. There were a lot of bare spots and some runs were no longer open. Day one at Nubs was sunny and warm so the snow was slushy and slow, but at night it hardened and was faster. Day two at Crystal was sunny and even warmer and slushier. Day three at Boyne Mt. was cloudy, and it rained lightly off and on during the day. The runs at night got pretty hard and slick. Day four at Boyne Highlands it was cloudy and super windy. The snow was variable in spots, bare, slush, hard, and pools of water here and there. We even had to ski around fallen branches and different debris that had blown onto the runs. One run had a tree blown over on it. Later in the day, the skies cleared and the wind calmed down. Night conditions were horrendous as the snow became rock-solid. Even though conditions were far from ideal, we still had a good time. It was just nice to get away and ski again.

Next season we all need to get back on the slopes together.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Sounds like you tried to make the most of it sempai. Hopefully we will be able to meet up next season.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            Sounds like you tried to make the most of it sempai. Hopefully we will be able to meet up next season.
            There are a number of us hoping for a better 2021/22 season and that Shredfest can happen again. If so, I suspect it would be well attended.
            Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
            Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
              I hope everyone's season was better than mine.

My only day riding this season was yesterday and the local resorts are closing after today. With only online ticket sales in limited quantities, it was near impossible to get out. And with a two week quarantine upon return if travelling outside our province, we had to cancel our Banff trip last month.
              Hmph, the Albertans have been popping out here constantly for day trips with no concern for quarantine... more day tickets than passholders in the lineup most days.

I've had a dismal season, but not that dismal. It's mostly been due to being overly busy with the new house (had a 6 week gap where I didn't go at all). The gondola lines have been terrible even when it's not particularly busy, as it's only cohorts or a maximum of 2 if you're not with a group. It's a pain when you don't have a full day to ride.

I've been trying to get in a few more partial days lately - season is ending April 4 - but it's hard to get many runs in, and rare to run into friends on the weekends. I'll probably bag 20 'days' this season, but many of those have been 2 gondy days (managed a 13 gondy-ride day last season). I'm estimating that I've done 20% or less of my typical vertical for the season, and never managed to get my core fitness up to snuff.

At least my pass photo was sweet this year... screw 2020, I let the 'stache buck for a month and took the Spliffs back to the 70's:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05306.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	263696

The good news? I've got a sweet new skiboard shack with room for guests next season, and my next door neighbour has two cabins for rent right beside it if necessary. So, if travel restrictions are gone and anyone wants to come ride the Horse, a big mountain meetup would be quite doable. ​ Would also be up for a Powder Highway trip (Red, Whitewater, Revy, Kicking Horse) if anyone's interested... Red's convenient from Spokane for Americans flying in, the Horse is a similar distance from Calgary.
              Attached Files
              BOARDSLAYER
              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

I came down with COVID at the end of November, which put me out of commission for two weeks. A week after that, feeling very tired, I was admitted to the hospital were they said I had pneumonia and blood clots in my lungs! The doctor put me on a blood thinner for 3-6 months and said, "No skiing." This all happened before ski season started locally. So yeah...

Big Picture: It's weird to think about, but I'm fortunate to not only be alive, but to be doing as well as I am.

Small Picture: Man, what I wouldn't give to have a dismal season rather than no season at all.
                Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
                Spruce 120's (they served me well)
                Trikke Skki

Comment

Glad to read that you were able to pull out of a serious situation. Next season will be better.

sigpic

Comment

dont mean to brag but im on day 86
                    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                      dont mean to brag...
                      Proceeds to brag. LOL!
                      Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
                      Spruce 120's (they served me well)
                      Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by Ukuvox View Post
                        I came down with COVID at the end of November, which put me out of commission for two weeks. A week after that, feeling very tired, I was admitted to the hospital were they said I had pneumonia and blood clots in my lungs! The doctor put me on a blood thinner for 3-6 months and said, "No skiing." This all happened before ski season started locally. So yeah...
                        I know your pain. I've had two episodes of blood clots in my legs and lungs. The first time I came as close to death as it gets and was put on blood thinners for six months. Five years later, I had my second episode. The second time wasn't as bad, but now I'm on thinners for life. Not fun!

Hang in there!

Boards/Bindings:
                        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Hi Slow, nice to hear from you, and sorry your season was less than stellar.

I tore my ACL right at the start of the season. I'm post surgery now and rehabbing to get back to the activities I enjoy,

If there was a season to miss, this was the one.​​​​​​​
                          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                            I know your pain. I've had two episodes of blood clots in my legs and lungs. The first time I came as close to death as it gets and was put on blood thinners for six months. Five years later, I had my second episode. The second time wasn't as bad, but now I'm on thinners for life. Not fun!

Hang in there!
                            Make sure you have a couple packs of blood clotting powder in your first aid kit.
                            I keep a severe bleeding trauma kit fastened to the outside of my first aid kits,
                            consisting of:

EMT scissors
                            2 tourniquets (folded for single hand use)
                            curved & straight 5" hemostats
                            2 packs clotting powder
                            2 sets of chest seals
                            gauze, wrap & tape.

The idea is that if the victim is conscience and not in further danger to stabilize severe bleeding first. The rest of the first aid kit can be used without the same time pressure.

Clotting powder can be purchased over the counter at just about any drug store. They carry it for hemophiliacs and people on blood thinners.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                              Hi Slow, nice to hear from you, and sorry your season was less than stellar.

I tore my ACL right at the start of the season. I'm post surgery now and rehabbing to get back to the activities I enjoy,

If there was a season to miss, this was the one.​​​​​​​
                              I hope your recovery is going well and you can enjoy the outdoors soon.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X