Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to the Netherlands, worth keeping ski's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to the Netherlands, worth keeping ski's?

So I'm leaving Canada and going to live in the Netherlands. Not bringing a lot of stuff with me to start my new life, and the Netherlands doesn't have any mountains, so I think I might have to get rid of my skiboards and move on...

I know Germany has some hills, but they don't seem very big, or worth a 4 hour train trip for.
    Doesn't seem like skiing is a big deal for the Dutch, and if they do go, they fly to the alps and rent.

You can't rent skiboards... So this is sad, but I don't know if I can make it worth keeping.

I loved this hobby, and I'll have good memories I guess.

Any Skiboarders from the Netherlands here?

One of the great things about skiboards, is how little room they take up, so if you can take them with you, I would. Holland is not that far from some of the best skiing in the world and you never know what opportunities may arise.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      One of the great things about skiboards, is how little room they take up, so if you can take them with you, I would. Holland is not that far from some of the best skiing in the world and you never know what opportunities may arise.
      I agree. My wife spent a few years living in the Hague and she said she loved traveling around to awesome ski resorts in nearby countries.

Comment

Hi I'm from the Netherlands (also the Hague) and the Dutchies are really into winter sports! We don't have any mountains here, but every year over a million people go 'op wintersport' to the alps or somewhere else! I should definately keep them, because they're very easy to carry around. I also go to the alps every year and I have a subscription at my local indoor slope where I can practice my park stuff and things like learning switch riding and that stuff. There are also a lot of group trips to the alps where you can go skiing for a week for around 500 euro's (if you pick the right week). That's transport, accomodation and ski pass included.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, in the north part of the Netherlands you have the biggest indoor skiing hall in Europe, skiboards would be the best thing for indoor and I suppose it's rather easy to get to from anywhere.

Alps are a bit of a longer trip, but outside school holidays prices are reasonable and slopes not crowded, I'd say it's worth the trouble.

I've skied before skiboarding, but would never get back to skiing, so think carefully if you contemplate renting
          Also consider skiboards are more expensive to get in Europe because of shipping and duties, taxes, so this could be a factor if you change your mind in the future.
          Worse case scenario, if you bring them and don't want to keep them, you'll easily sell them over here.

You think realistically you'll be giving up on snow time once you'll get here ?

PS: I see you have XLs with Spruce risers. They are currently my favorite boards. They will pack small, be pretty lightweight and you can do anything on them. I would definitely keep them.
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
            If I'm not mistaken, in the north part of the Netherlands you have the biggest indoor skiing hall in Europe, skiboards would be the best thing for indoor and I suppose it's rather easy to get to from anywhere.

Alps are a bit of a longer trip, but outside school holidays prices are reasonable and slopes not crowded, I'd say it's worth the trouble.

I've skied before skiboarding, but would never get back to skiing, so think carefully if you contemplate renting
            Also consider skiboards are more expensive to get in Europe because of shipping and duties, taxes, so this could be a factor if you change your mind in the future.
            Worse case scenario, if you bring them and don't want to keep them, you'll easily sell them over here.

You think realistically you'll be giving up on snow time once you'll get here ?

PS: I see you have XLs with Spruce risers. They are currently my favorite boards. They will pack small, be pretty lightweight and you can do anything on them. I would definitely keep them.
            I actually use my spruce risers on my revolt trees. I prefer the XLs with non release.
            And I think you guys are right. I doubt I'll be able to afford to skiboard for a little while when I first move to the country, but as the years go, I'll likely miss the hills a lot.
            Flying with full ski gear never sounded good to me. I couldn't imagine a ski trip on a plane, but if that's what the Europeans do, then I ought to just learn and follow

Comment

Originally posted by Synn View Post

I actually use my spruce risers on my revolt trees. I prefer the XLs with non release.
              And I think you guys are right. I doubt I'll be able to afford to skiboard for a little while when I first move to the country, but as the years go, I'll likely miss the hills a lot.
              Flying with full ski gear never sounded good to me. I couldn't imagine a ski trip on a plane, but if that's what the Europeans do, then I ought to just learn and follow
              Revolts and XLs complete each other very well, you have basically all snow conditions covered, and both types of bindings, it would be a pity to give up on that and to have to rebuy for more expensive later...

Not sure how often people fly to the mountains, in the French Alps I see lots of Dutch cars as well, distance wise it's roughly 1000 km from Amsterdam to the Alps, but there are also trains getting reasonably close to most resorts, plus eventually a bus ride. Quickest Amsterdam to Lyon by train should be around 6 hours.

Closest airports are Lyon and Geneva, from which you'll still have to take some transport (car or train+bus) to the resorts.

But so many people do this every winter, some of the options should be reasonable enough to make it worth it.
              Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
              Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
              Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Synn View Post

When the Covid madness stops you'll have ample opportunity. You don't have to fly either. There are a number of options by train too. There are ski trains from Paris into the Frnch Alps, so all you have to do is get to Paris on a good connection. (You might have to use the metro or a taxi to get between main stations).

I use https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...s&&country=GBR to plan train travel and then but from other railway providers if necessary.
                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

There are ski trains from Paris into the Frnch Alps, so all you have to do is get to Paris on a good connection.
                  There is also a very good train connection between Amsterdam/The Hague/Rotterdam and Paris. It'll take you a bit less than 4,5 hours to get to Paris (it's a high-speed train reaching 300 km/h at its top speed) and it's without train transfers, which is a big plus.

Comment

The best you'll get with the direct, high speed train from Amsterdam to Paris Nord will be 3h20min (apparently there's only one such train per day), I haven't checked from the other main cities, but the link posted by ysb33r will help you find the best options

Comment

That actually sounds amazing. I never knew about this train before, amazing. Thanks guys! I'll be sure to try to link up with some of you EU skiboarders in the future eh!

Comment

The drive/ride from Geneva up to the resorts is very cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X