RIP Epic Ski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Epic Ski

The Epic Ski Forum announced yesterday that they will be shut down permanently by the end of this week. They have been in existence for eighteen years and are largest ski forum on the internet. Huddler has served as the forum's platform for several years, but are now closing their doors and not renewing hosting contracts. Vail Corp, who purchased the forum last year, and have decided not to migrate the archives and find a new home for the forum. It now looks like Vail only bought the site so they would have the rights to the Epicski.com domain name, which will provide a marketing opportunity for their Epic passes. In a few days, almost twenty years of archived skiing history and data will be deleted. The forum members are trying to find a way to save the data, but it is next to impossible on a few days notice. Love or hate Epic, this sucks.
    Just these, nothing else !

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    The Epic Ski Forum announced yesterday that they will be shut down permanently by the end of this week. They have been in existence for eighteen years and are largest ski forum on the internet. Huddler has served as the forum's platform for several years, but are now closing their doors and not renewing hosting contracts. Vail Corp, who purchased the forum last year, and have decided not to migrate the archives and find a new home for the forum. It now looks like Vail only bought the site so they would have the rights to the Epicski.com domain name, which will provide a marketing opportunity for their Epic passes. In a few days, almost twenty years of archived skiing history and data will be deleted. The forum members are trying to find a way to save the data, but it is next to impossible on a few days notice. Love or hate Epic, this sucks.
    I was waiting to see if Vail would re-purpose the domain name for their own use. It makes sense that Vail would want the name but a shame all the information will be gone. I'm surprised some savvy forum member has not figured a way to harvest and archive the information.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      I was waiting to see if Vail would re-purpose the domain name for their own use. It makes sense that Vail would want the name but a shame all the information will be gone. I'm surprised some savvy forum member has not figured a way to harvest and archive the information.
      It is technically possible, but it's not just about saving the data,
      It's also about the format. Especially if it is to be used as the basis of a new "Epic" forum. I do believe there is also a substantial time and money investment involved. Then you have the issue of who actually owns the content, which I believe is Mountain News, a subsidiary of Vail Corp. They may not want to sell, as there is a lot of anti Vail sentiment in those threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        It now looks like Vail only bought the site so they would have the rights to the Epicski.com domain name, which will provide a marketing opportunity for their Epic passes.
        This is interesting. I actually sold the domain epickids.com to Vail several years ago for the same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a lot of good content there, hate to see it recede into a memory, locked up in the bowls of NSA computers.

https://www.httrack.com/

Edit: FYI the entire site is ~3gb.

Comment

Looks like they extended it to May 12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

After a two week stay of execution by Mountain News Corp, Epic Ski finally shut down yesterday. Several members of the forum tried to use the time to save as much of the archived data as they could, with the plan to potentially get it back on the internet in a searchable format.

Even if you didn't post there, EpicSki was a great resource for researching everything from travel to equipment to instruction. The best car for skiers, how to wash your ski jacket, how to wax and tune, how to make edits, steals and deals, meets ups. For now, it's all gone, just so a greedy corporation could get the rights to a URL.

Shame on you Vail (:

Comment

I'm sure there's a bunch of people that mirrored the entire site. The thing I wanted to save the most were all the resort reviews.

Comment

Working...
                X