How Ski Boots Are Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ski Boots Are Made

There's a show playing on the Science Channel (Direct tv ch 284) right now called "How it's Made", with an upcoming segment on "how ski boots are made". Those with an interest in such things might want to tune in.

Edit: It looks like the show replays at 11:08 pm tonight (3/16/17) CDT

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    There's a show playing on the Science Channel (Direct tv ch 284) right now called "How it's Made", with an upcoming segment on "how ski boots are made". Those with an interest in such things might want to tune in.

Edit: It looks like the show replays at 11:08 pm tonight (3/16/17) CDT
    My eldest daughter and I used to love watching How It's Made together when she was little. It was our thing. We even used to talk like the narrator for fun. "A worker takes the sheet of plastic and places in on the table." Good times.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Was it this segment?

Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        Was it this segment?
        That's the one. I taped the TV show version it last night and watched it over and over (until the hockey game came on). Given all that high-dollar equipment, it's surprising ski boots aren't even more expensive. As with pencils, I suppose it's economies of scale.

Certain things could have been more instructive. They mentioned two different types of plastic for shell material, but never went into much detail. It would be good to know more about how the deburring machine they used works, etc.

Comment

I was surprised at how quick and easy the process was. Basically just two plastic molds and two cuff bolts. The liner seemed to be the most labor intensive part of the process. And less that an hour from start to finish. It left me wanting more. Like how different boot flexes are created, how ski/ walk and canting mechanisms work and a dozen other design features.

It did leave me wondering why some boots are $100 and others cost $1000. There can be that much difference in the manufacturing process for more expensive boots?
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Surprising amount of hand work

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

You can (or could) actually get fully custom ski boots made from scratch from a cast of your feet. I haven't done this myself but know a family who did (the husband and wife were ski instructors). The cost was about US $800 per pair of boots back 15-20 years ago, so very expensive. But they said that the performance and comfort was just unbelievable. Boot technology has advanced a lot with custom heat molding liners and variety of adjustment capabilities, but I still regret that I didn't (well couldn't afford to) get true custom boots back then.

Comment

Working...
              X