Mid atlantic snowmaggedon 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid atlantic snowmaggedon 2016

Go get your eggs, milk, and bread (and ground cinnamon if you like that on your french toast) .... East coast winter is back, she is pissed off, and going to kill everyone. Or that's at least what the Weather Channel would have you believe.

Is it just me or has the Weather Channel's entire mission become just scaring the shit out of the general public. A weekend storm that is going to drop a 12 inches +/- of snow has become the pending regional apocalypse instead of the minor inconvenience and chance for fun that it should be. I swear the entire population of Canada is watching the East Coast of the U.S. and thinking "They are weak, if we had a real military we could invade and occupy Washington DC right now."
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

As a lifelong Western Pennsylvanian, I'm amazed at how many people here still lose their shit over a few inches of snow. And still can't drive in it...

Sucks to be them...I'm dreaming of powder

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      ................ I swear the entire population of Canada is watching the East Coast of the U.S. and thinking "They are weak, if we had a real military we could invade and occupy Washington DC right now."
      LOL, we do not have enough firearms to invade, but we sure are having a good laugh.

DC is somewhat understandable. But what amazed me was having to sleep overnight in the Denver airport on the way to Westfest a few seasons ago because Denver shut down because of 6 inches of snow!

BTW: We get the same Canada from the same weather services.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
        .... DC is somewhat understandable.....
        I lived in DC for a while and it was a bit excessive. During mild rain storms drivers would put on their hazard lights and drive 25mph on the highway. During the blizzard of 1996 in DC I was working as a zamboni driver at the outdoor skating rink on the National Mall. After a two day shift of pushing snow off the rink I loaded up my truck to drive home. While sitting stopped at traffic light I was rear-ended by a police officer who had lost control of their squad car. Their was no damage to the custom I-Beam bumper protected back end of my truck but the cop car was a wreck. The cop begged me not to report it so I went on my merry way and figured she was having a bad enough day.

Originally posted by slow View Post
        But what amazed me was having to sleep overnight in the Denver airport on the way to Westfest a few seasons ago because Denver shut down because of 6 inches of snow! ....
        I have experienced the same thing but knowing how the airport network works many times it's what you don't see locally that is happening elsewhere that holds everything up. I got stuck in Denver last year and it was not the 6 inches of snow they had gotten locally but the 3 inches of ice in Texas that delayed the crew and plane we needed to make our flight go. There had been a major dump on Denver several days prior and most of the airlines moved their gear and people to Houston and Dallas to avoid the weather but the storm shifted and turned into wicked ice that caught all the crews in Texas. They tried to work around it but got burned .... It happens and when you get stuck in Denver you just make the most out of it and ski Breck or if you can't get out to the resorts hit up a brewery. I have long seen air travel as just part of the adventure rather than an inconvenience it can sometimes be (that is except for when I get stuck at Delta's commuter hub in Ohio .... that place is purgatory.)
        Boards:
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

It rained here in the bay area the other morning. This was the result:

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
            It rained here in the bay area the other morning. This was the result .....
            That's awesome and hilarious! Driverless cars cannot get here fast enough.
            Boards:
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

The 1" of snow yesterday evening crippled the DC area. That's because the roads were not pre-treated and they froze over. That meant pretty much every ramp to get on or off the major highways was blocked by an accident - someone slid off the ramp. So the major roads were blocks with traffic as no one could exit them. Some folks spent many hours getting home because of that.

I did not have to drive much, just in my neighborhood, and it was slippery. Any mild incline, and you'd get stuck or slide off it.

Because these things only happen occasionally, there simply isn't enough drive to maintain as many resources as needed to cover those rare events. Unlike New England northern areas, where everything is good...

Comment

That's what it looked like here ...

https://twitter.com/leechris/status/689978329139671042

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                It rained here in the bay area the other morning.

Comment

[
                  https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9GEP...KdsQ/giphy.gif

And yet, everyone in a position of authority refuses to address the REAL cause of such massive storms.
                  Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
                  Spruce 120's (they served me well)
                  Trikke Skki

Comment

Picture this morning from the In Law's back yard in Stafford VA. This was just the warm up storm. The rest is yet to come.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                      X