Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium hardware

Hi all

I was thinking of using Ti bolts to hold my riser on the board. Anyone have any reason why this wouldn't be a good Idea?

Wet + Ti + Steel (insert ) could lead to some corrosion (galvanic coupling). However, not sure how quickly it would it would happen.

If you did have corrosion, you could have embrittlement and/or strength reduction at the threads. This could lead to failure. As you have three other points, it wouldn't be "catastrophic", but it may damage the insert threads, which would need to replaced/chased/re-tapped.

Not sure how well Ti does cold/wet, either, compared to stainless.

Perhaps someone else has more first-hand experience, rather than worst-case from me.

Comment

The more I look into it, it looks like some companies (snowboard bindings and ski bindings) with Ti components. I may have overacted a bit!

Comment

There's obviously not a strength problem then, but I might look into that corrosion between the 2 metals

Comment

Originally posted by donny70 View Post
          Hi all

I was thinking of using Ti bolts to hold my riser on the board.
          Why?

Comment

Titanium hardware

The ones holding my risers on have corroded so thought ti wouldn't. Not much more expensive than good stainless and a fraction of the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by donny70 View Post
              The ones holding my risers on have corroded so thought ti wouldn't. Not much more expensive than good stainless and a fraction of the weight.
              Over here titanium fasteners are crazy expensive, 20x or more higher cost compared to stainless. You might have a less expensive source. Were you using the factory (stainless steel) screws with your risers?

Comment

The originals got lost on the way back from Japan after I took the boards down for shipping so I was using standard coated. Then I looked at the price of stainless vs Ti and there was only 20% in the difference.

Comment

Working...
                X