Garmin Virb Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Virb Elite

I'd like to hear from those who use this camera. What do you think about it, likes, dislikes?

I find it interesting because of the GPS feature. I like how you can insert the stats into video. I was hoping the GoPro would implement this feature, but as you know so far they have not.

Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

I had mine for about one year - I got it shortly after it was released.

Since Garmin released the firmware update it seems to be much more stable. It used to crash in the middle of recording video.

The quality of video, however, cannot be doubted.

Ski mode is really useful, although it still records too much of the lift lines.

I have most of the ski-related attachments, but the helmet version still works the best. I wish they would bing out a ski pole attachment or a Go Pole attachment as I am sure it will work better than the wrist attachment.

I find that I need two batteries to make a full day. In ski mode, 64GB of storage seem to about just make it for a day. I do however use 32GB SD cards instead as I don't like to pay Micro$oft money for the XHDC filesystem - it also ensure that I can use the SD cards as is with nearly any deivice or operating system.

Virb Edit software is only available for Mac & Windows. I tend to use Edit to include the GPS data, then export the video and edit in iMovie.

The Virb App to control teh camera remotely was not available for a long time. I have only installed it recently and have not tested it in the field yet, so cannot comment on how much it affects battery life.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Sorry for the small hijack but there was a discussion a few months ago about a new company with a less expensive Go Pro type device. Can someone post the link to that thread.?

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
        I tend to use Edit to include the GPS data, then export the video and edit in iMovie.
        Do you think the GPS readings are spot-on accurate?

Thanks for the info.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
          Do you think the GPS readings are spot-on accurate?

Thanks for the info.
          I reckon so.

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
          X