Tire Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Chains

I'm looking for tire chains for 17" truck tires. They don't sell them in my state so I will have to order them online. They may even be illegal in Illinois. I really don't care.

Do you guys have any favorite kinds or styles of tire chains? I'm sure some are much easier to get on/off than others. I have no idea what kind to get.

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/laws.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

I have a set of Konig snow chains that I bought for my very old Chevy S-10 and they luckily fit my wife's new 2WD SUV so I got a "two vehicle use" out of them. They are amazingly well built and easy to get on and off. Unlike chains my father owned for his F-150 they didn't slap around and beat the inside of the wheel wells.

I got these several years ago and believe that Thule now owns and sells Konig under the Thule name ( http://www.konig.it/en/US ). The Thule products look like my Konig chains. I bought these second hand so they didn't cost me much but I think they were expensive new. Checking Thule chains on Amazon.com they seem to run between $100 to $500 for a set so they are a bit of an investment but, assuming the quality is the same as it was under the Konig name, they will last a good long time.

Just a general thought: Tire chains are a bit of the pain in the ass if your State makes you put them on in danger zones and pull them off in melt areas. My sister-in-law lives in Calif and went 4WD to avoid the "snow chain shuffle". I am sure some of the guys from Calif can chime in on this. If you are buying these just for emergency situations you could probably get way with just a set of wire style chains.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

and now there is this...

Comment

The snow chains that they're fitting in the video which Greco posted, are the Thule Easy-fit
          12 seconds on average to fit one.

Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
          Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
          Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Those Thule ones look great. I bet you pay for the convenience though. The Super Z 6 may be a bit more reasonable. When I just had the Honda Element i got some Super Z 6 chains and they were the easiest at the time to put on. I have only had to put them on once. It was bitter cold and my hands were stinging even with the easy ones to put on. Here is the Nextag Pricing search:
            http://www.nextag.com/super-z6-tire-.../compare-html#!

So what did I do to remedy my situation. What any wimpy warm weather skier would do, I bought a Subaru Outback and haven't had to use them since. For the weird California road laws I'll still carry them in the Element and even the Outback, but if it's so bad that they say I'll need chains on my Outback I'm going home.

I do think the Super Z 6's are good though. You just have to be careful and order the correct size. They have charts to do that.
            Good Luck!
            Chad
            64 CM Bigfoot’s
            100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
            110 CM Rockered Condors
            130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Working...
            X