Lake tahoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake tahoe

This may be to early for this thread. But, my girlfriend and I are wanting to move from Breckenridge CO to the Lake Tahoe area. Preferably near South Lake/Heavenly. Around the end of September/October 2013. Im looking for some advice on housing, jobs, areas, places to crash while looking for a place, and any secrets anyone wants to share. Any information is helpful. Thanks

bnuf

Also interested in SO CAL to be closer to the surf. And Still be able to ride Mtn High and Big Bear. Any information at all is helpful. Thanks.

bnuf

Comment

Tough choice;

400 inches of Rockies powder

or

California beaches and 2ft of man made
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        Tough choice;

400 inches of Rockies powder

or

California beaches and 2ft of man made

Yeah its a tough decision. I really enjoy surfing, but I love the snow. Breck really isn't getting much snow though anyways. So I think LA might be a good choice, really close to the beaches and close to the man made snow at Mtn High/Big bear. At least they have good parks. Mammoth is around a 5 hour drive so its not so bad.

bnuf

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
          Yeah its a tough decision. I really enjoy surfing, but I love the snow. Breck really isn't getting much snow though anyways. So I think LA might be a good choice, really close to the beaches and close to the man made snow at Mtn High/Big bear. At least they have good parks. Mammoth is around a 5 hour drive so its not so bad.

bnuf
          The scene at Mountain High, Big Bear and Summit is mainly Cali surfers who convert to snowboards and hit the parks in the winter. Not a bad bunch of guys to hang with. One of the few places you can get two sports seasons from the same digs.

Having said all that, it's tough to replace a full season of the type of snow and skiing you get in the Rockies.
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Wow. Were jealous of you living in Colorado. We live 25 min from Mt. High, and about 1 hour from Big Bear. We got sick of trying to drive to them when the big snow does hit. Many times it could take 2 + hours to get to Mt. High and 3+ hours to get to Big Bear due to the snow play sledding people illegally parked on the sides of the road on The way up and due to people bringing lowered Civics up thinking they are great snow cars. Then you get there and have huge lift lines. (I'm really not bitter)We gave up and bought another house in Parawon,UT 15 minutes from Brian Head Resort. Its an easy 6 hour drive up highway 15. No parked cars no slow traffic and no lift lines. Well. Once I had to wait for four chairs. It's like our own little paradise. Just know that skiing in SoCal is a little like Disneyland a lot
            Of wait time for a lot of brief moments of fun. We personally love Utah and palm on retiring there.
            Chad
            64 CM Bigfoot’s
            100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
            110 CM Rockered Condors
            130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Originally posted by CAN View Post
              Wow. Were jealous of you living in Colorado. We live 25 min from Mt. High, and about 1 hour from Big Bear. We got sick of trying to drive to them when the big snow does hit. Many times it could take 2 + hours to get to Mt. High and 3+ hours to get to Big Bear due to the snow play sledding people illegally parked on the sides of the road on The way up and due to people bringing lowered Civics up thinking they are great snow cars. Then you get there and have huge lift lines. (I'm really not bitter)We gave up and bought another house in Parawon,UT 15 minutes from Brian Head Resort. Its an easy 6 hour drive up highway 15. No parked cars no slow traffic and no lift lines. Well. Once I had to wait for four chairs. It's like our own little paradise. Just know that skiing in SoCal is a little like Disneyland a lot
              Of wait time for a lot of brief moments of fun. We personally love Utah and palm on retiring there.
              Chad
              Do you think weekdays will be a little more mellow? And I could always just hike a rail if the lift lines are to long. And make the journey up to Mammoth to get some pow pow haha. Do you guys recommend any areas to live in or near?

bnuf

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
                Do you think weekdays will be a little more mellow? And I could always just hike a rail if the lift lines are to long. And make the journey up to Mammoth to get some pow pow haha. Do you guys recommend any areas to live in or near?

bnuf
                Yes I think you'd be okay midweek. Also at Mt. High I've seen people hike the rails. We live in Rialto but both teach in Rancho Cucamonga which I would highly recommend living in.
                64 CM Bigfoot’s
                110 CM Rockered Condors

Comment

Originally posted by CAN View Post
                  Yes I think you'd be okay midweek. Also at Mt. High I've seen people hike the rails. We live in Rialto but both teach in Rancho Cucamonga which I would highly recommend living in.
                  I will check them out right after Shredfest. Haha do you have a room for rent? or tent space in your yard for next winter?

bnuf

Comment

What about a teaching job for me? :-)
                    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
                      What about a teaching job for me? :-)
                      We'd definitely put in a good word for you Dave, but you'd have to work Fridays LOL
                      64 CM Bigfoot’s
                      110 CM Rockered Condors

Comment

As weird as it sounds I miss working on Fridays. I prefer a regular school day of around 6 hours. We go 8 hours and 20 minutes.
                        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Edujoin is where most of the jobs are posted. Many districts had cuts the previous two years, but there are a few jobs that pop up on it. Dave you would definitely interview well. Brandon you don't teach yet do you?
                          http://edjoin.org

Chad
                          64 CM Bigfoot’s
                          110 CM Rockered Condors

Comment

I applied all over SoCal this past summer, but with no success. I will keep at it. Brandon and I were discussing a move out there and have been for quite some time.
                            I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Don't forget my little paradise area... Central Coast of California (Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Pismo, Morro Bay, Paso Robles...)!!!!
                              Beaches & surfing & Snow Skiing & golfing & Lakes & horses & wineries & .... you name it!

China Peak is the main Ski resort (3 hour easy drive) plus little Badger Pass resort in Yosemite!

just sayin'!
                              C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Working...
                              X