Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get to Mammoth?

I know, practice, practice, practice

Actually, my ski club is going to Mammoth this next year and there are 2 options, either fly into Reno and bus down or for $70 more fly into L.A. and bus up to Mammoth.

How much of a difference is there in bus rides between Reno or LA to Mammoth. Last year we flew into Reno and then a bus down to Heavenly which with having some really bad connections was a 16 hour trip from my house. So, this bus ride comes at the end of a really long cramped day.

Maybe, the real answer is just more alcohol and don't worry about it

Hi Shortydude,

It's a 5 to 5 1/2 hour drive from LA by car/truck. So i'd imagine it would take a bus longer. I don't know how long it is from Reno if anyone wants to chime in about that. Hope that helps.

Chad
    64 CM Bigfoot’s
    100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
    110 CM Rockered Condors
    130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Reno to Mammoth is 160 miles
      LA to Mammoth 325 miles ...
      driving by car from Reno to Mammoth is about 3 hrs ,, in a bus slower maybe 4 hrs
      In snowy weather though road from Reno to Mammoth is more likely to be slower with more chain controls then the road up from LA so have to factor that in ...
      I would just fly to Reno and take bus south myself and take my chances...
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks jjui and Can, 160 vs 325 miles can be a big difference when your butts getting tired. The trip leader just sent out an email, said most people are going through Reno. So this winds up being a no brainer. Reno it is, plus I liked the Reno airport.

This is a common trip for 4 different loosely associated nearby ski clubs. My club currently has 21 people signed up for Mammoth. All together there will probably be ~130 folks spending a week together on this trip. It'll be nice to spend time on and off the slopes with old and new friends.

Comment

mammoth is a great mountain. when i went i flew into reno and just rented a car for the drive. wasn't to bad and then i had a car when i was there. but im sure with a club you guys will be set. reno is for sure the way to go tho.

matt

Comment

Now, the plot thickens. The trip through LAX includes a shuttle flight over to the Mammoth Lake MMH airport.

So the choice is a 3.5 hour bus ride from/to Reno or $70 more for both LAX-MMH and return MMH-LAX hops.

Comment

i would go with the 70 extra bucks. it was a 4 hour drive for me from reno (i did use a map tho so it may not of been the fastest route). i can only imagine that a bus ride would be as long due to the fact its a bus. i say if you have the extra 70$ i would go with that option. might even be able to spend a few extra hours on the mountain.

matt

Comment

I also like the flight that includes the lax to mammoth air flight for 70 dollars more (round trip I assume ???) , mammoth is a fabulous mountain and what has prevented it from becoming more of a destination resort is the lack of direct air flights ... the long ride from Reno is pretty long ..if you are travelling from a long ways away it is nice to not have the tiring bus drive tagged on the beginning and end of the trip ...
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Yeah, the $70 includes the round trip hop LAX-MMH-LAX.

Someone may find this interesting about the hop flights.

ALASKA AIRLINES DBA Alaska Horizon

AS2196T Sunday 29JAN LAX-MMH HK35 Depart 1227P – Arrive 140P

AS2195T Saturday 04FEB MMH-LAX HK35 Depart 1035A – Arrive 1152A

Comment

Working...
                  X