Field Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Day

Today is field day at the school I teach at (yes, my school year has only today and tomorrow and then I am off for the summer) and it really brings back memories of elementary school. I had such a blast. Even though this is my third year teaching, it all comes back to me strong this year as my elementary principal, someone I looked up to in life and modeled much of my teaching career after, passed away several months ago. He really did so much for the school, the teachers, and especially the kids, and field day was always the final cap each year with activities galore. We used to go to the the huge county park and have the craziest day of events, just roaming free, playing sports, BBQs, etc… Just a fantastic day. I was wondering who out there had similar events in grade school and what sort of memories they hold.
    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

The term Field Day has a much different meaning for me. So much so I had to look it up in the dictionary. Mr Webster says that you absolutely correct in using the term. The military has made in my mind the use of the term means to scrub clean the dirties of places.

I don't remember much from grade school except the trips to the principles office and this one gorgeous teacher that I was fascinated by.

In Jr High I do have a cool memory of a geometry teacher that was an old old friend of the family. When her and my grandfather were little kids they used to go 'muleing' together. They rode mules out in the country probably about 1915-1920. She used to ride a horse to school once in a while, but switched to riding a tractor after her last horses got too old. She had high expectations/standards for her students and a very loving person. She had a great influence on me. One of the things she used to do with her students was to hold 'Box Suppers' once a year out in old one room school buildings out in the country. A Box Supper is where each girl makes a little picnic lunch, pie or cake without any names on them and the teachers/chaperon's auction them off to the boys. The boys get to sit with the girl that made the box supper while they eat. That was followed by some dancing or games. It sounds really sexist now. But, it was fun. Everyone had a good time and created memories that last a lifetime.

Comment

Working...
    X