Education Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education Poll

I wonder what percentage of skiboarders have a degree. Many of the regulars at SBOL have excellent command of the English language and are very eloquent in expressing their thoughts. So, I'm thinking there may be a pretty high % of college grad skiboarders.

Of course, this begs for a followup thread on snowboard jokes.
    Grade School and some Jr High
    3.70%
    High School
    0.00%
    Some College or Associates Degree
    40.74%
    Bachelors Degree
    29.63%
    Masters Degree or higher
    25.93%
    Last edited by shortydude; 05-09-2011, 06:40 AM. Reason: Administrative Assisant forgot to grammer check

Some college. I've got my first year automotive apprentice schooling done while in highschool, but decided not to keep going with that. Now I've gotten my Emergency Medical Responder certificate, and hopefully will be taking the Primary Care Paramedic course in January.
    2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Just finished up my second semester of my master's degree. Should be done with it in December if all goes well. And you just can't catch a break shortydude. I think your assistant could use some spelling lessons along with her grammar (make sure she notes the second a) Normally wouldn't bother with the correction, but since we were already on the topic...
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

finishing up BFA, will most likely be going on to graduate studies.
        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

I have; Associate of Arts: Mass Media and Communications, Bachelor of Arts: History, Master of Education: Childhood 1-6. I will be starting my PhD in education/history in five years. My original plan was to wait until I had been teaching for five years (I am finishing up my third year), but first I would like to complete my Masters + 60 (60 credits of studies past a masters) because it boosts my pay scale. Then, once that is complete I would like to begin my PhD so that when I retire from teaching elementary school I can work part time as an Early American History professor in college, something that I would truly love to do.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

College is absolutely useless in all but a handful of professions...
            Dave | Elevendy

Comment

Originally posted by dcox20 View Post
              The exact reason why I didn't just go to college right out of highschool. Always seemed to me like throwing money away to maybe find something that might lead to a job. That's too many maybes for my liking.
              2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

College was such a great experience for me. The chance to choose and be in discussions with other intellectuals who thirst debate, discussion, and the growth of knowledge. So much more came with this time period for me as well. It's a period of growth, self-discovery, and freedom of expression… and a little something to do with partying and living life without regrets for some time (unless you get the herpes, then that's a bummer). Definitely not for everyone, though. As a career path, if you are into hands on work or the varieties of trial and error learning then it is certainly not needed for your path.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by dcox20 View Post
                  I never finished college but have thought about going back many times.

Then, I look around at many of my peers with graduate degrees who are still paying off student loans, making the same or less money.

While I took an unconventional route to where I am and it may have taken me a few more years to get here, I love what I do. I've learned a ton along the way and got my advanced education without setting foot in a classroom. While it's not the best path for everyone, it has definitely worked for me and has paid off far more than it would have had I finished my originally intended course of study.
                  Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                  Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                  Full Tilt Boots
                  Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

i dislike the attitude most people have toward education. education should be more then just a way to get a higher pay check imo. it is for me anyways...

granted that might be a different issue for you americans with your insanely inaccessible education.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Its not just about the money ... it is also about the method of obtaining that education. The biggest reason I dropped out of college was that I was bored out of my skull sitting in lecture classes all day long ... too much listening and reading stuff I really didn't care about instead of doing.

For me, college sucked and was a horrible way to try to learn. When I went into law enforcement I got hands on training in interview and interrogation, forensics, crime scene investigation, crash reconstruction, etc that included a great deal of applied mathematics, physics, deductive and inductive reasoning and written and oral communication. I got far more real education in 9 months of law enforcement training than I did in 2.5 years of college. I ended up being just as good of a cop or better than many of my peers that finished BS in criminal justice.

Since then, I've received education in metrics, statistics, data analysis, business management, Six Sigma, change management, data base administration, budget development, process improvement, performance measure development, business information systems, economics, policy and legislative analysis and many other areas.

I got all that without spending a dime of my own money - all paid for by my employers and delivered to me in a way that suits my learning style sooooo much better. What's wrong with that?

There are many ways to get an education. College is only one.
                      Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                      Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                      Full Tilt Boots
                      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

OK. Here is my take on education and what my son will be doing:

1. Education does matter. I doesn't necessarily make you smarter but it does prove you've been exposed to a more expansive set of knowledge than with personal experience only. Experience is where the rubber meets the road and combined with education creates the most rounded individual.

2. Right or wrong, you are treated better with a sheepskin. Education = choices. This is how I got to my son. I asked him - do you want someone like me telling you what you must do for the rest of your life and if you don't you'll pay a real price? Of course, this happens regardless of education level but generically speaking you have many more options when you have a proven education.

3. Don't worry about running up educational debt. Do it. Here's why - when it's time for the rubber to meet the road your rubber will meet the road in the right way. What is the right way? This way - you pimp your educated but still worthless backside to one of the monoliths for 3 years and they'll absorb your educational debt as a tax write off. That's right, you'll have to go corporate for awhile. They'll under pay you for those 3 years. If you should be making 65k, they'll pay you 50k and you'll not make one additional penny during that time. But, you will immediately be out of debt and you'll have a job. Not exactly sexy, right? Tough. Choke it down. You are much better off than your friend who took a job making 70k but has to pay back his education. On this one, trust me. I do know and if you take this advise you'll build pyramids in my honor in just a few years.

4. Once your indentured servitude is complete a strange thing will happen. Your big, bad, ugly corporate sugar daddy will want to keep you. You'll be called into an office, told how happy they are with you, be given a 15k a year increase in pay (which is what you should have been making anyway) and most likely receive an upgrade that is much more about title (to make you feel good) than about increased status or pay.

5. You make the choice. Things will look good. Nice raise, nice praise, your girlfriend will be happy and you'll be happy. Or, will you be happy? Hmmm. I don't know. If the answer is yes then stay. If the answer is no then take your now debt free, 3 year experienced ass out on road and pimp it. Your choice. See that word? CHOICE. You are on your way to being a winner.
                        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Dave | Elevendy

Comment

right on mahatma.

responding to that documentary

the commodification and corporatization of education, its happening everywhere as all governments cut funding to all levels of schooling.

Here in quebec the tuition will double in the next 5 years, but at the same time government is cutting back funding to schools, they are basically working to privatize all post secondary education.

I wouldnt be too happy with a Monsanto Bachelors of Chemistry or a McDonald's High School Diploma.

there seems to be a rise in interest in free market models because of the "recession", at least here in canada anyways. education and health care are the last things that should be left to the free market imo.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

There are a lot of jobs and professions that do not require a degree that a person can absolutely make a decent living. The vast majority of those jobs though will have a glass ceiling limiting the potential of non-degreed.

From an employers perspective, for each position there may be hundreds or even thousands of potential employees. How do you narrow that field down? A degree is a very common minimum qualification. A degree is more than just an education. It demonstrates proof positive that a person has set a long term goal and completed a difficult task.

The educational aspect of a degree just proves that you are trainable for a job.

The way things worked out for me with having and raising a family I chose the 24 year graduation plan. Now, because of my experience and degree, I'm semi retired at a fairly young age and still have a decent standard of living. The secret to that is learning how to be happy well below your means. The degree absolutely makes obtaining those means easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X