Balls of Kryptonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls of Kryptonite

Hitting the whitewater. See you guys next season. (No photo is not of me.)

Indeed ... it's about that time. Looking forward to getting out for my first trip of the year next month.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Mahatma's going hiking. Doing a 2 day Northern Japan Alps trip at the end of May. Between now and then a few local mountains. Going to be trying an external frame setup this season. I purchased a Kelty Cache Hauler for framed work and an ALPS Mountaineering Denali 5000 (internal frame) for longer hauls. I needed new hiking packs. My stuff was beat. The Cache Hauler might have been a bit of an over-purchase. I don't hunt. But, I figured if I was going "all classic and stuff" I'd go truly classic. We'll see. Oh, boot wise I use Alico Summit's for most hikes and Alico New Guide's when life gets heavy and rocky. High tech, Gortex, super light weight stuff - all crap. Give me leather - inside and out.

I wanted to edit this and throw in one more thing about backpacks. If you happen to own or see a K2 Pilchuck this makes for a great weekend backpack. It has a ton of great features that makes it a fabulous hiking pack. It's roomy without being huge, the side pockets are great to stuff in hiking poles on one side and a nice Nalgene on the other, the compression straps let you lash down the sides to hold the poles nicely, the waist belt is well padded and has pockets on both sides for little things like snickers bars and camera, it's hydration compatible with the tube hole running directly out the center with a built in clip down the right shoulder strap. This isn't my favorite feature as I prefer an internal to the shoulder strap routing but it works and works well. There is of course a goggle pocket for valuables, other pockets here and there for organization, lash loops down the front of the pack and one of the extra goodies is axe loops on both sides that make for a great way to lash off a sleeping bag. Don't let the sleeping bag dangle though as this is endlessly irritating. Also lash it up from the center to one of the panel loops. Again, not perfect but it sure works. Of course, the back is padded making sure you sweat your butt off in comfort.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Sweet.

I'll hit my first day hikes and day whitewater trips of the season this month. Packing has to wait until July.

I went to external frame a few years back. Way cooler on the back having a bit of space between me and the pack. I like it much better.

Enjoy your excursions.
        Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
        Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
        Full Tilt Boots
        Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

FFA,

My experience with framed packs is limited. But, I do know they are easier to pack meaning you don't have to be as concerned with what is where - go ahead and throw heavy stuff on top. The frame will keep everything feeling right. But, they feel less "part of you" so not so great if you are in tight areas and needing to duck and bob around. Of course, a little extra air flow on your back is always a good thing but I sweat watching other people move so it's pretty much a moot point with me. I'll see how it all goes over the next few months. I've purchased quality stuff so it will all be put to good use in one way or the other. The downside is if I don't like one or the other I'm still stuck with them for at least the next 5 years.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

You seem to be spot on Mahatma. I have had each, and I actually prefer the internal frame pack. I like knowing where every little thing in my pack is and tend to pack pretty light. I also find myself getting into tight situations with a lot of the places that I like to pack. I enjoy finding trails that are no longer maintained and such, as they are still usually passable, but keeps the crowds down even more. It is really nice not having as much to cach on low tree branches and bushes that you have to climb through or around.
            I do it because I can.
            I can because I want to.
            I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
            '08 KTPs

Comment

I got my Kelty Cache Hauler the other day so wanted to quickly review it:

Both the frame and pack wreak "stupid strong" in all respects. They ain't light, they ain't pretty and they sure ain't high tech. But, they just might outlive cockroaches.

The frame has a few points that must be adjusted such as the frame height adjusters, shoulder harnesses, load compression and load lifter straps. I suggest doing what I did - I took the pack off the frame, lowered the frame shelf, loaded and strapped my 10 year old daughter into it (she had a ball) and then put it on. Eve weighs a little over 70 lbs. I then spent time taking the frame off and on adjusting the shoulder harness width spacing and adjustment straps. I then went to the load lifters on the belt and dealt with those. The load panels and straps are all dependent on what you are carrying so while I used them I did not consider them integral to fit. I then walked down the street to the local store with Eve strapped in and got her an ice cream for her troubles. She loved it. Round trip was about 15 minutes and the frame never whimpered. I suggest doing it this way because with the frame heavily loaded like that you feel and understand the effects of every little adjustment. By the way, the waist belt on this thing is the best I've ever encountered. The load lifter straps do the best job I've ever encountered of transferring weight off your shoulders and back and onto your hips. Freakin' phenomenal.

The bag is as I said is seriously overbuilt in all respects. You'll not find heavier duty material on a pack anywhere. It almost feels like canvas tarp. All zippers are wide, heavy and almost dare you to over-stuff the pockets they close. There is a dedicated sleeping bag pocket. The bag has a false bottom that creates this pocket. The false bottom can be unzipped to create one large, internal space if you so desire. With it zipped in, the pocket was big enough to hold my 2 person tent with fly and footprint, 50 degree sleeping bag and self inflating mat. I had to stuff a bit but it all fit and the zipper never even came close to complaining. Kelty claims this pack is "hydration compatible" but that is a bit of an overstatement. What they are claiming to be the hydration pocket is the pack wide pocket that actually stores the shoulder straps when not in use such as when the pack is attached to the frame. There is certainly enough room for a full 3L bladder along with the straps but there are no other hydration amenities like tube routing. Again, it works in my test but it's a stretch to claim it to be hydration intentional. You'll want either a clip or one of those magnet deals to keep the tubing and nipple close at hand.

Bottom line - if you are wanting an external framed pack and you know what you like this just might be your ticket. I promise you, my grandchildren will use this pack one day. For me, a 5 star keeper.

Comment

I got my ALPS Denali 5500 pack in and took it for a nice 2 hour, loaded (with 35 lbs) walk last night. This is one kick butt, internal frame backpack. Where the Kelty is almost disgusting in its’ over-the-top construction and simplicity the ALPS takes a much more centered approach. The bag itself is cavernous. You could almost sleep in it. The sleeping bag compartment is a truly separate compartment, there are actual hydration amenities like a dedicated web pocket and built in tube ejection port. The lid doubles as a day fanny pack. When you look at it you think “What the hell?” but it works. The cap is held to the pack with 4 straps that tighten down over the top creating a fabulous cover and while not very sexy can be completely removed to provide a large fanny pack for short forays. The waist belt is well done but feels utterly wimpy after dealing with the Kelty. But, it’s not wimpy. It’s appropriate and the belts and buckles are large, wide and well placed. The single waist belt pocket is a welcome addition. The rain cover is built in to the bottom. Oh, the entire unit is mondo-comfy and feels like an integral part of your body. You feel just like you only heavier as opposed to you with something else attached. So, I believe I’ve gotten lucky and made 2 great decisions. Which one is the real me? I’ll let you know in a few months.

Comment

Working...
                X